Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NHL Lockout

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports NHL Lockout

This topic contains 49 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by News News 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

maybe we’ll get the broomball nationals to come here. Can’t wait.

MRipley
    MRipley
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

bjones7 said:
    Another reason Columbus need the NBA. If the NHL goes on a lock out, we would have the Columbus Kings* and vice versa for NHL. If they both aren’t “greedy” and avoid a lock out, then bonus for the arena district that season. Win Win!

Only problem with that is the NBA doesn’t need Columbus.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

NHL Lockout Begins, No Formal Talks Scheduled
    September 17, 2012
    by The Associated Press

Die-hard hockey fans might need to invest in some classic NHL games on DVD. It might be the only taste of hockey for months. There’s no telling when the NHL lockout will end, especially when neither the league nor the NHLPA has committed to face-to-face negotiations to end the labor unrest. There were no formal talks Sunday on the first day of the lockout, the league’s fourth shutdown since 1992, including a year-long dispute that forced the cancellation of the entire 2004-05 season when the league successfully held out for a salary cap.

READ MORE: http://beta.wosu.org/news/2012/09/17/nhl-lockout-begins-no-formal-talks-scheduled/

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

That’s it, we need Pro Thunderball. These guys aren’t looking to get rich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15m_i6QPAXE&feature=relmfu

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I feel the city should pay me to attend a hockey game.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but the NBA is NOT happening here, unless the Cavs move. Maybe we should start a baseketball league or quidditch. Where can I find a Nimbus 2000?

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Commentary: Columbus hockey fans still suffering as NHL lockout arrives
    By John Cimperman
    Published: Sunday, September 16, 2012

On Jan. 28, Columbus Blue Jackets fans, who have only witnessed postseason hockey once in the team’s 12 years of existence, received the best news from NHL commissioner Gary Bettman since the team’s inception. The city of Columbus would be hosting the 2013 NHL All-Star Game, or so they were told. At midnight Sunday,the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement expired, and with no new deal in place, players were locked out by the owners for the second time in nine years.

READ MORE: http://www.thelantern.com/sports/commentary-columbus-hockey-fans-still-suffering-as-nhl-lockout-arrives-1.2902327#.UFig6kI9ldw

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Blue Jackets Lockout Might Affect Arena District Businesses
    September 24, 2012
    by Sam Hendren
    89.7 NPR News Reporter

It’s been a little more than a week since National Hockey League owners locked out players over revenue sharing and salary caps, among other things. The lockout includes Columbus Blue Jackets players – who won’t be paid for missed games. The dispute might mean some economic hard times for others — especially for businesses in the Arena District.

READ MORE: http://beta.wosu.org/news/2012/09/24/blue-jackets-lockout-might-affect-arena-district-businesses/

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Might? Weren’t we told that if there wasn’t hockey at the arena it would be Armageddon for the district?

bjones7
    bjones7
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    Might? Weren’t we told that if there wasn’t hockey at the arena it would be Armageddon for the district?

+1 . Also, I’m not saying that the BlueJackets are going to the playoffs, but with Nash gone and pretty much a new team in place, I was very interested to see how the season would turn out. I was hoping above .500. This sucks!

On a side note, would it be possible for the NHL players to form a temporary “rouge” hockey league. I mean I highly doubt it would be possible, but man I would pay $35+ to see NHL players play at a converted Jesse Owens Stadium (for example). Yes I realize that they would have to get permission from OSU and yes its outside, but I can’t think of any where else available and would hold enough fans.

MRipley
    MRipley
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:

Whoa… is it possible that Coleman and his posse might have misrepresented the effect that a lack of hockey would have on the AD?

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

bjones7 said:
    +1 . Also, I’m not saying that the BlueJackets are going to the playoffs, but with Nash gone and pretty much a new team in place, I was very interested to see how the season would turn out. I was hoping above .500. This sucks!

On a side note, would it be possible for the NHL players to form a temporary “rouge” hockey league. I mean I highly doubt it would be possible, but man I would pay $35+ to see NHL players play at a converted Jesse Owens Stadium (for example). Yes I realize that they would have to get permission from OSU and yes its outside, but I can’t think of any where else available and would hold enough fans.

Anyone who wants to play can go make money in one of the many other leagues around the world. Most of these players are playing very far from home (at least on the blue jackets) and I doubt they feel any obligation to set up a rouge league for the fans here.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

NerosNeptune said:
    a rouge league

Hockey players wearing makeup can’t be good for anyone.

chaptal
    chaptal
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    Hockey players wearing makeup can’t be good for anyone.

You really want Sean Avery around?

ehill27
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

N.H.L. Proposes Even Split Of Revenue
    By JEFF Z. KLEIN – NYTimes.com
    Published: October 16, 2012

The N.H.L. made a surprise offer in talks for a new collective bargaining agreement on Tuesday in Toronto, proposing a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenue with the N.H.L. Players’ Association and a mechanism guaranteeing that current contracts would be honored without rollbacks.

READ MORE: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/17/sports/hockey/nhl-offers-players-50-50-revenue-split.html

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?