Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

pondering cutting back to internet only - what are the least expensive options?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A pondering cutting back to internet only – what are the least expensive options?

This topic contains 60 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by cc cc 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Schriner
    Kyle Schriner
    Login to Send PM

I’ll kick the dust of of this thread. I’m looking at just getting DSL no cable. TW looks like its offering 35 bucks a month as their promo (6mb/s) or AT&T (3mb/s) for 20 or AT&T (6mb/s) for 25. AT&T wants to send me some self install package. Anyone dealt with that? Which way should I go?

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’ve had all three carriers – TW, Wow & AT&T. I am actually ending my association with cable TV today, and going internet only. I chose to ditch AT&T – I’ve had a lot of trouble keeping a consistent signal come to my house, mainly due (according to technicians) to their equipment requiring line grounding, and those grounds continually being stolen off the poles in the alley.

I hate TW with the passion of a thousands suns.

I didn’t have WOW long, but for the time that I did, I thought their service was the most reliable AND they maintained the internet speed that was advertised. Also, the one time I did need to call them, I was able to talk to people.

The thing that caused me to ditch WOW was that I truly hated their guide/DVR set up/system – it seems really antiquated. But, I’ll not be impacted by this annoyance.

And yes, I know it’s a little more expensive – but definitely call & check the prices, including fees. TW will still include many fees that are generally associated with having cable service as well – WOW does not do this. It’s the base price quoted + tax, the end.

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’ve heard that Cuevana.tv[/url] is pretty awesome if you don’t have cable.

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Kbear919 wrote >>
    I’ll kick the dust of of this thread. I’m looking at just getting DSL no cable. TW looks like its offering 35 bucks a month as their promo (6mb/s) or AT&T (3mb/s) for 20 or AT&T (6mb/s) for 25. AT&T wants to send me some self install package. Anyone dealt with that? Which way should I go?

I have the $20/month AT&T DSL right now and it has been mostly ok until it died last week. Many hours on the phone later, I finally got a tech to come out and fix the lines. The tech support from India insisted that my modem was bad and tried to sell me a new one (it wasn’t). Overall, its not terrible but not wonderful either. The connection will drop randomly which is annoying if you’re watching netflix.

As far as self install goes, if you have an entry level amount of savvy, you’ll be fine.

tourist19
    tourist19
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I have AT&T DSL and while I don’t love them, they’re less awful than TW. I live in Merion Village and have had only minimal service issues. I did the self install thing and would say that even the technophobic should be able to handle it.

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

Kbear919 wrote >>

I did the self install for my sis, really pretty easy if you’re even a little computer savvy.

Kyle Schriner
    Kyle Schriner
    Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. You rock…

Matt Ellis
    Matt Ellis
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

TW is the best option in my opinion, assuming you get a competent tech to do your install.

Speed-wise it’s the fastest as the listed speeds you sign up for are the minimum speeds you’ll get and at most times of the day will see 5-10Mbps above. And the upload speeds were recently increased which helps a ton with bittorrent downloading

Plus you can usually get turbo thrown in for free for a few months

Of course, after a year your price may suddenly jump up, but thats when you call up and tell them you’re broke and jumping ship

cbus11
    cbus11
    Login to Send PM

Do you happen to work for time warner? From all of that info, I am assuming you are a competent tech ;)

Roland
    Roland
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

cbus11 wrote >>
    Do you happen to work for time warner? From all of that info, I am assuming you are a competent tech ;)

I happen to agree with him, and I don’t work for Time Warner. Internet service from TW has been great for me.

shmack
    shmack
    Login to Send PM

we have at&t dsl. i would not recommend it. the signal is extremely unreliable, drops out several times a day, and requires a re-start a couple times a week. i hate it. that said, had TW prior and although the signal didn’t drop as often, it still required restarts every so often.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Guess I’m pretty lucky to never have had an issue with Time Warner?

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Snarf wrote >>
    Guess I’m pretty lucky to never have had an issue with Time Warner?

I’m with you man. i think i’ve restarted my router 3 times in three years. Sometimes things slow down a bit, but i’ve never had outage issues with TW. Doesn’t mean I love their price creep shit, but they are consistent.

Patch
    Patch
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

To revisit the topic, I just cut back to AT&T DSL, $19.99/month. Its a pretty good deal, plus I get about 15 channels through the old rabbit ears.

No real withdrawl symptoms yet, besides missing some of the channels to watch the NCAA Tourney.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Time Warner just jacked up our price $20/month with no warning.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?