Our City Online

Messageboard - Film Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

PolyCultures: Food Where We Live -- Cbus Premiere 7/11 3pm

Home Forums Events Film Events PolyCultures: Food Where We Live — Cbus Premiere 7/11 3pm

This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bear 8 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Bear
    Participant

titlecropped.jpg

PolyCultures: Food Where We Live is a movie that contrasts the one-dimensional industrial farming systems throughout Northeast Ohio with the various elements that make up a more diverse, just, healthy, and sustainable food system in the same area. Slow Food Columbus has teamed up with other members of the local food community to bring this movie to Columbus! The area premiere of PolyCultures will be on the afternoon of July 11 at Studio 35 at 3:00 p.m., followed by a reception at Global Gallery from 6 to 9; and the guys who made the film possible, David Pearl, Tom Kondilas and Brad Masi, will be present to share their story. $5 admission.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

I think it looks really interesting – I was looking it up this morning and found some more info –

There is some more background about the movie here:
    http://www.clevescene.com/reel-cleveland/archives/2009/06/16/polycultures-release-party-at-greenhouse-tavern

and the trailer is here:
    http://www.trailerspy.com/trailer/4309/PolyCultures-Food-Where-We-Live-song-by-Andy-Wagner

Roland
    Participant

Geez. I want to see the movie but the trailer suuuucks.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

At least there were no spoilers ;-p

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anyone know how it compares to Food Inc? It sounds like some (or all?) of PolyCultures was shot in Ohio, which is pretty awesome.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I want to go to this, but may be working the wine fest at the Market…

Bear
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Anyone know how it compares to Food Inc? It sounds like some (or all?) of PolyCultures was shot in Ohio, which is pretty awesome.

I believe that’s right. Food Inc. is about the national food system, while PolyCultures is specifically about Ohio (maybe even northern Ohio, I’m not sure — since it hasn’t played in the area, I haven’t seen it).

Roland wrote >>
    Geez. I want to see the movie but the trailer suuuucks.

:-) I kinda noticed that too. Shawn at the N. Market coffeeshop saw it at the Cleveland Film Festival and came back completely geeked about it; he’s been one of the main people behind getting it here. So given his level of excitement and effort I’m guessing the trailer isn’t all that representative.

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

+ 1 getting this here.

Bear
    Participant

Yeah, I definitely want to support Studio 35 doing stuff like this.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Oh, yes. Studio 35 is awesome with these types of events! :D

Bear
    Participant

Quick bump — this is this afternoon!

(And we just picked up some Ohio wines that Slow Food will be donating for the reception afterward… all Kinkead Ridge / River Village, some Traminette, some Riesling, some Cab Franc, and some of their Revelation Red. Some of our own favorites. And since Kinkead Ridge wasn’t at the Food and Ohio Wine Festival at the North Market, we figured we should have something that people wouldn’t have had a chance to try there.)

Rockmastermike
    Participant

I am now doubly sad I will no longer be able to addend this as I had planned.

Bear
    Participant

This was way cool — especially the reception afterward, jam-packed with area foodies, including some of the people who were in the film. So glad I went.

Kudos to everyone who put in the time to make it happen, and to Studio 35 and Global Gallery for hosting!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Film Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.