Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

Polls Show a Bleak Outlook for Ohio Democrats

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Polls Show a Bleak Outlook for Ohio Democrats

This topic contains 138 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Mercurius 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

myliftkk wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>
    @myliftkk I thought Blago has to be re-tried? Do you think they won’t pursue it again and just sentence the one count he was guilty of?

They can retry him, they don’t have to. They very well could pursue it again, but his lawyers are no joke. They’ve beaten tall odds before, and they done it at least once in his case.
    @merc – true, things will have to start turning fast after labor day, but if nothing else, Rs have been shooting themselves in the proverbial feet this year. If Harry Reid can hold on, any Dem can, provided they force errors on the Rep parts (which they seem to be quite generous in giving up). Given that the R plan is Bush v2.0 (pri-veh-tiz), the extent they can keep crap like the mosque non-story sucking all of political oxygen out of the room the more like they can skate by on plans full of empty pages until nov.

I think it is likely that the prosecutor will retry Blago. The jury was deadlocked 11 to 1 in favor of conviction on some of the other charges. Hung juries are not uncommon, even in high profile cases.

RBloodworth
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

While I don’t necessarily think that your pessimism about the Gubernatorial race is without merit, Mercurius, your argument kind of loses credibility with me when the “facts” that you cite come from a diary posted by “Ohiobama” on Daily Kos. If any of you have ever read a diary by that poster (an environmental activist and rabid David Krikorian supporter from Pike County), you would know that he has a hatred of Gov. Strickland and ODP leadership that borders on the psychotic. Worse yet, he has an annoying habit of taking selective facts and spinning them to fit his chosen narrative- namely, that the Democratic Party (led by head-criminal-in-charge Strickland) is hopelessly corrupt, that this corruption will be the main factor in returning Ohio to Republican rule, and that the Dems’ only hope is for Strickland to resign from office immediately. The man is an agenda-driven nut job, pure and simple, and any troll diary he has posted on Daily Kos should never be taken seriously.

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

RBloodworth wrote >>
    While I don’t necessarily think that your pessimism about the Gubernatorial race is without merit, Mercurius, your argument kind of loses credibility with me when the “facts” that you cite come from a diary posted by “Ohiobama” on Daily Kos. If any of you have ever read a diary by that poster (an environmental activist and rabid David Krikorian supporter from Pike County), you would know that he has a hatred of Gov. Strickland and ODP leadership that borders on the psychotic. Worse yet, he has an annoying habit of taking selective facts and spinning them to fit his chosen narrative- namely, that the Democratic Party (led by head-criminal-in-charge Strickland) is hopelessly corrupt, that this corruption will be the main factor in returning Ohio to Republican rule, and that the Dems’ only hope is for Strickland to resign from office immediately. The man is an agenda-driven nut job, pure and simple, and any troll diary he has posted on Daily Kos should never be taken seriously.

I’m not familiar enough with individual posters on Daily Kos – but it is left leaning. Because it’s a left leaning blog, I thought that it was more credible saying that Strickland is down.

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

hugh59 wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>
    @myliftkk I thought Blago has to be re-tried? Do you think they won’t pursue it again and just sentence the one count he was guilty of?

They can retry him, they don’t have to. They very well could pursue it again, but his lawyers are no joke. They’ve beaten tall odds before, and they done it at least once in his case.
    @merc – true, things will have to start turning fast after labor day, but if nothing else, Rs have been shooting themselves in the proverbial feet this year. If Harry Reid can hold on, any Dem can, provided they force errors on the Rep parts (which they seem to be quite generous in giving up). Given that the R plan is Bush v2.0 (pri-veh-tiz), the extent they can keep crap like the mosque non-story sucking all of political oxygen out of the room the more like they can skate by on plans full of empty pages until nov.

I think it is likely that the prosecutor will retry Blago. The jury was deadlocked 11 to 1 in favor of conviction on some of the other charges. Hung juries are[/quote] not uncommon, even in high profile cases.

Blago’s gonna stick his fingers in the public’s eye every weekend until they figure out how to convict him.

From TPM:

When not making dreams come true for his many fans (including one with a Blagojevich tattoo on his thigh), Blagojevich found time to take a picture with one-time Batman star Adam West:

[img]http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/images/blagojevich_adam_west.jpg[/img]

and he hangs with the local suicide girls.

[url=http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/08/blago_signs_autographs_rides_bat_mobile_at_chicago.php?ref=fpblg]Blago Signs Autographis at Chicago Comic Con[/url]

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    BG
    BG
    Login to Send PM

How about this poll conducted in Ohio and published today by PPP:

“By a 50-42 margin voters there say they’d rather have George W. Bush in the White House right now than Barack Obama.”

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2010/08/previewing-ohio.html

NEOBuckeye
    NEOBuckeye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

BG wrote >>
    How about this poll conducted in Ohio and published today by PPP:
    “By a 50-42 margin voters there say they’d rather have George W. Bush in the White House right now than Barack Obama.”

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2010/08/previewing-ohio.html

Like a dog eating its own shit, its…

“Backwards to the future. Yay for America!!”

-or-

“Thank heavens for the 22nd Amendment.”

Seriously, who thought up such a shitty question to begin with?

BG
    BG
    Login to Send PM

NEOBuckeye wroteLike a dog eating its own shit, its…
    “Backwards to the future. Yay for America!!”
    -or-
    “Thank heavens for the 22nd Amendment.”
    Seriously, who thought up such a shitty question to begin with?

Just think it indicates how horrible a job Obama is doing, along with an affirmative reply to the following question :

NEOBuckeye
    NEOBuckeye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

No comment.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    BG
    BG
    Login to Send PM

KSquared
    Login to Send PM

I really wish there was a third or fourth option. It’s almost always between a Turd Sandwich and a Giant Douche.
    Sigh…..

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

KSquared wrote >>
    I really wish there was a third or fourth option. It’s almost always between a Turd Sandwich and a Giant Douche.
    Sigh…..

Seriously – those folks who want the Republicans back so badly seem to have forgotten the previous 8 years. And it’s even worse since Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin have defined themselves as mainstream. Not that the Democrats are much better, with disgusting corrupt people like Rangel and Waters, a race-appeasing approach to winning votes, etc.

What I’d really like is for all those moderates who’ve been forced out of the Republican and Democratic parties to join forces. Those are the people who are willing to work to make things happen, and they’re exactly the people who’ve lost power. While I’m not moderate in any of my beliefs (depending on the issue, I’m nornally firmly right or left,) I would rather have an effective government than one that fits my exact ideology.

That’s not to say I’m completely disappointed with Obama and the Democrats. Healthcare reform, incremental as it was, is a huge acheivement – more than Bush had ever done for Americans in all 8 years.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?