Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Plumbing Help

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Plumbing Help

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by JackieC JackieC 4 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    JackieC
    JackieC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The last post about plumbers is a year old so I started a new thread.

We have been smelling some gas recently so I went down to the basement to clean out plug and trap (after reading some suggestions online) when I touched the clean out plug cover the the cover and the pipe attached to it disintegrated. I am assuming this might be a costly fix and might entail replacing much of our home’s original main line because of this and generally slow drain problems. Our home was built in 1925.

Does anyone know any good plumbers that might accept payments/any other helpful ideas would be much appreciated.

u-huh
    u-huh
    Login to Send PM

derm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I dont have an inexpensive plumber for you, but in terms of worries about gas, and since you live in Grandview, I would call the fire department to come out with their sniffers to see if you truly have a leak. I dont want you to blow yourself, and me if you live close, to bits. I thought I smelled gas and called them and they were there with two guys and two diffenernt sniffers in 15 minutes and went over the whole house. Perk of being a Grandview resident.

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The fire dept?

bucki12
    Login to Send PM

@derm

I assume he is talking about sewer gas.

JackieC
    JackieC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Sewer gas is the problem. Thanks.

Patch
    Patch
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JackieC said:
    Sewer gas is the problem. Thanks.

I’m going to PM you the e-mail you the guy I use to help me with everything on my 120 year old house. If he can’t help you, he will give you someone who can.

derm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Whoops, thought he meant the flammable stuff. Plumbers work on that too.

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Derm I’m still confused. The grandview fire dept will come to your home with natural gas detectors and inspect your gas lines for leaks? Is this service free?

derm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I smelled what I thought was Natural Gas before, called the Grandview fire department with my concern and they showed up 15 minutes later and walked my house including stove, basement, furnace and fireplace with two sniffers to make sure there were not any leaks. It was free. Our cops and firefighters are the bomb. They have fixed problems for me instantaneously in the past.

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’ve used A. Mann Plumbing out of Westerville in the past – great service. Their slogan is “Don’t call a boy to do A. Mann’s job!”…heh heh heh

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Derm. when you say fixed what did they repair?

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Donely has always been there for me. (614) 774-7884

kmg67
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JackieC said:
    The last post about plumbers is a year old so I started a new thread.

We have been smelling some gas recently so I went down to the basement to clean out plug and trap (after reading some suggestions online) when I touched the clean out plug cover the the cover and the pipe attached to it disintegrated. I am assuming this might be a costly fix and might entail replacing much of our home’s original main line because of this and generally slow drain problems. Our home was built in 1925.

Does anyone know any good plumbers that might accept payments/any other helpful ideas would be much appreciated.

I don’t know if they would accept payments (probably not) but I have had very good luck with Truxall plumbing over the last 10 years. I initially called them to give me a second estimate on what another company wanted to change me >$2000 to fix. Truxall came up with an entirely different solution for $300.

JackieC
    JackieC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Thank you for all the suggestions, I’ll let you know what comes of everything, OP will deliver.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?