Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

Pepsi Throwback

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Pepsi Throwback

This topic contains 67 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Jim Lauwers Jim Lauwers 3 years, 1 month ago.

Tagged

HFCS

Pepsi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Jim Lauwers
    Jim Lauwers
    Login to Send PM

“Finally, I can cut down my corn syrup intake without replacing all liquids with beer!”

Available at all finer UDFs and maybe Target too, I haven’t been there in a while.

Seems to be sweeter than most sugarcane colas, and with a stronger aftertaste than Dublin Dr. Pepper. But the price and availability more than make up for it.

Personal theory is, they’re rolling this out to test the waters as part of a larger push towards replacing high-fructose corn syrup with stevia. I don’t think anyone wants to see another New Coke debacle.

honavery
    Login to Send PM

I have some sort of strange fascination with novelty food items such as this, so I am eager to try it.

Brant
    Login to Send PM

I miss Crystal Pepsi.

And Crystal Gravy, too.

chaptal
    chaptal
    Login to Send PM

I found mine at Target. I was never a Pepsi drinker but I’d rather have the sugar that the HFCS. It definitely has less of a chemical flavor.

The throwback Mtn. Dew is delicious.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Do they make it in a diet version?
    We’ve growed Stevia a couple of years in our garden and I just don’t see it being sweet enough to sweeten soft drinks. Barely sweet enough for my tea…

Jim Lauwers
    Jim Lauwers
    Login to Send PM

It’s sweet enough, don’t worry. Unprocessed sugar sources (beets, cane) aren’t strong enough to sweeten soda, either.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

All in the processing, gotcha!

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

Ohmigawsh, I thought Pepsi was already super sweet!! How does this affect your tooth enamel? Is real sugar less, equally, or more damaging than HFCS?

AmyArt21
    AmyArt21
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Brant Jones wrote >>
    I miss Crystal Pepsi.
    And Crystal Gravy, too.

Hahaha, yes!!

Jim Lauwers
    Jim Lauwers
    Login to Send PM

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Ohmigawsh, I thought Pepsi was already super sweet!! How does this affect your tooth enamel? Is real sugar less, equally, or more damaging than HFCS?

Tooth decay is (as far as I know) caused by bacteria eating the fructose/sucrose/others(?) and excreting lactic acid. So basically it’s fermentation in your mouth. Since HFCS contains fructose and sugar contains sucrose, the question becomes either “which one do bacteria prefer” or “how much of each is going into each can of soda.”

I can’t find anything about the comparative speed of metabolism for fructose vs. sucrose by this bacteria, but honestly, my guess is that if you’re brushing twice a day the difference in acid buildup won’t be appreciable.

So the amount, then. I can’t find anything on the amount of sugar in pepsi throwback, maybe because it’s too new for dieting sites/middle school science classes to have posted their results online. Since they taste about as sweet, and looking at fig. a, I’m guessing more raw sugar goes into Pepsi Throwback than HFCS micture, but there’s about the same amount of -crose in there either way.

fig. a

In conclusion: I dunno, it’s probably about the same. Someone tell me if I’m wrong!

Brant
    Login to Send PM

Is regular sugar greener than high fructose corn syrup?[/url]

Jim Lauwers
    Jim Lauwers
    Login to Send PM

See for me, it’s not really about eco-friendliness, or health consciousness, or cracking Big Corn. HFCS just tastes sort of gross.

Plus, the fact that they render it with mercury which sometimes contaminates the final product is kind of a turn-off for me.

chaptal
    chaptal
    Login to Send PM

JimL2 wrote >>
    See for me, it’s not really about eco-friendliness, or health consciousness, or cracking Big Corn. HFCS just tastes sort of gross.
    Plus, the fact that they render it with mercury which sometimes contaminates the final product is kind of a turn-off for me.

+1

and does it need to be in ketchup, peanut butter, etc.

Jim Lauwers
    Jim Lauwers
    Login to Send PM

GViewProgrammer asked in another thread, so I thought I should mention here… the UDF at the corner of High and 1st has Pepsi Throwback as well as Mountain Dew Throwback. It’s in its own stack by the milk, next to the 2 liter bottles of soda.

Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JimL2 wrote >>
    GViewProgrammer asked in another thread, so I thought I should mention here… the UDF at the corner of High and 1st has Pepsi Throwback as well as Mountain Dew Throwback. It’s in its own stack by the milk, next to the 2 liter bottles of soda.

It’s called “pop” you dirty bag of farts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?