Our City Online

Messageboard - Miscellaneous Events

Pecha Kucha Under the Stars at Junctionview Studios 8/12 8pm

Home Forums Events Miscellaneous Events Pecha Kucha Under the Stars at Junctionview Studios 8/12 8pm

This topic contains 50 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Pecha Kucha Under the Stars at Junctionview Studios

August 12 · 8:00pm – 10:30pm

889 Williams Avenue

You’re invited to our summer event outside of Junctionview Studios. The festivities kick off at 8:00 with local band Shin Tower Music and presentations begin at 8:30.

Each presenter will follow the international Pecha Kucha format of showing 20 images and speaking about each image for 20 seconds. Presenters include architects Beth Blostein and Bart Overly; Charles Erickson with The Small Business Beanstalk; Walker Evans with themetropreneur.com; artist/educator Sarah Grosh; visual artist John Humphries; meditation expert Daron Larson; purse designer Mara Marcom; Eric Ralph with yourmilton.com; cartoonist Talcott Starr; Nick Wolak with the Thompson Football Club; and photographer Rainer Ziehm.

Members of Super Collider Theater will perform during intermission. A display of artwork organized by the Couchfire Collective will be on display inside. THOUGHTco will screen print T-shirts for guests throughout the evening ($4 for shirts brought from home and $10 to buy a new one). Rad Dogveg, Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams, and Pattycake Bakery will sell refreshments. Guests of drinking age are welcome to bring their own alcoholic beverages.

The suggested donation is $2 per person. Attendees are encouraged to bring water and lawn chairs. Junctionview Studios is located at 889 Williams Avenue. Free parking is available on the street and alongside the building. Visit bit.ly/bLxe9g for a detailed map.

MORE: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=114062445309538

Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

I recognize a few names in there. :)

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Nitsud Regnifloh
    Login to Send PM

I’ve never been to one of these, but I did read an in depth article on the event and am very intrigued. Public is obviously invited I assume…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Yep, open to the public! Should be a lot of fun! :D

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

That’s a great line up, I’m looking forward to it.

Fusion Cafe
    Fusion Cafe
    Login to Send PM

Anyone know who could I can contact to bring our restaurant to this event? It sounds really cool.

GBKS
    GBKS
    Login to Send PM

Fusion Cafe, you can post a request on the Pecha Kucha Columbus website http://www.pecha-kucha.org/night/columbus/

I can highly recommend Pecha Kucha, you get to see a diverse group of people talk about what they are passionate about and what drives them. It’s very informal and always interesting, so if you’re in doubt, please go and check it out.

Fusion Cafe
    Fusion Cafe
    Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info!!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM
    Nitsud Regnifloh
    Nitsud Regnifloh
    Login to Send PM

okeh, soooo, we went last night and had a great time. I really enjoyed listening to people discuss what they are passionate about and what they deem important. Having a city full of friends is a good, comforting feeling.

but….I do have one thing to say about a small portion of one of the presentations.

The Small Business Beanstalk presentation rubbed me the wrong way, incredibly. Everything was great with his presentation, discussing “awesome” businesses around Columbus. Then he showed a slide of Silent Woman, a well-known establishment in Whitehall and proceeded to call it the “worst dive bar in Columbus” and how its awfulness made it “awesome.” Did I note some sarcasm in his voice? You betcha.

If this city and its small business alliances are really FOR small business, then this slide is irrelevant and shouldnt have been included in the first place. His selection of “Awesome” places was merely a list of hip, cool, come-see, “I frequent these” places type of list instead of a full support for small businesses in Columbus. Yeah, some small businesses may not be ideal, may not cater to YOU, may not look the greatest, may not even do all that well compared to a Sho No or Grandview counterpart, but I’ll be damned – THEY ARE SMALL BUSINESSES. Still owned by locals trying to make a living, and still provide a service to they clientele. This statement and slide made me re-consider ever coming back to a Pecha Kucha. If only the “cool kids” are allowed to be showcased then maybe the Small Business Beanstalk needs to re-evaluate their platform and mission. “We only support the popular small businesses.”

Bristol Bar
    Bristol Bar
    Login to Send PM

He probably got his panties in a bunch because PBR wasn’t a featured beer at that bar.

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Nitsud Regnifloh wrote >>
    okeh, soooo, we went last night and had a great time. I really enjoyed listening to people discuss what they are passionate about and what they deem important. Having a city full of friends is a good, comforting feeling.
    but….I do have one thing to say about a small portion of one of the presentations.
    The Small Business Beanstalk presentation rubbed me the wrong way, incredibly. Everything was great with his presentation, discussing “awesome” businesses around Columbus. Then he showed a slide of Silent Woman, a well-known establishment in Whitehall and proceeded to call it the “worst dive bar in Columbus” and how its awfulness made it “awesome.” Did I note some sarcasm in his voice? You betcha.
    If this city and its small business alliances are really FOR small business, then this slide is irrelevant and shouldnt have been included in the first place. His selection of “Awesome” places was merely a list of hip, cool, come-see, “I frequent these” places type of list instead of a full support for small businesses in Columbus. Yeah, some small businesses may not be ideal, may not cater to YOU, may not look the greatest, may not even do all that well compared to a Sho No or Grandview counterpart, but I’ll be damned – THEY ARE SMALL BUSINESSES. Still owned by locals trying to make a living, and still provide a service to they clientele. This statement and slide made me re-consider ever coming back to a Pecha Kucha. If only the “cool kids” are allowed to be showcased then maybe the Small Business Beanstalk needs to re-evaluate their platform and mission. “We only support the popular small businesses.”

I don’t know. I personally really like dive bars and expect them to be awesomely bad (otherwise it’s not a dive,) whether authentic or purposely. And you obviously have never been to Baltimore, Md. Take pride in the kitsch.

GBKS
    GBKS
    Login to Send PM

That story sounds like a lack of confidence to me. It’s easy to hype up some sexy cocktail place, but saying that something that’s not shiny is cool is a different story that might not have fit in his public persona. Dive bars are great because you can just be comfortable and have fun. Maybe write an email to the presenter to let him know?

I wouldn’t hold that against Pecha Kucha. On a previous event, a vet assistant talked about the different containers people used to bring in poop samples of their pets. It was one of the least glamorous, yet most entertaining talks and the audience had a blast. I know the people that organize it and I can assure you they have not the slightest intention of creating something elitist.

Anyways, somebody posted a picture on Now in Columbus from the event http://www.nowincolumbus.com/post/152

Looked fun, but we had an extremely cranky baby at home, so we couldn’t make it out.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Nitsud Regnifloh
    Login to Send PM

I dont hold it against PK, just irked me somethin fierce. I enjoy the East Side, Whitehall is a great lil community that may be a little rough aroudn the edges, but get off the beaten paths, Broad and Main and you’ll see an area not unlike those on Virginia Ave in Grandview.

Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

I wish that I could have made it out, but I didn’t get my plumbing project done in time. :(

I bet the poop container presentation would have been a good one! Haha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

The forum ‘Miscellaneous Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.