Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

Parking Meters, No More Than One Vehicle?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Parking Meters, No More Than One Vehicle?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Tigertree Tigertree 3 years, 11 months ago.

Tagged

rant

rants

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

Today a big group of riders from the scoot-a-que came in to stock up on Ben Sherman and Fred Perry, all thinking the other must have thrown a quarter in the meter, the meter maid came by and wrote a ticket. Fine, whatever, no one paid the meter and a ticket is deserved. I totally understand that.

Here were my issues.

1. I am not sure how to police this and it probably plays somewhat into my next point, but how can three tickets be written for one space? That seems crazy.

2. When complaining about this to a friend, he said that he and his friend parked their scooters in the same parking space, paid the meter and got tickets for that too. Apparently, you can’t park more than one vehicle in a space? I’ll admit I chose rant over research, so I will look into this. If true though, that is an insane law in terms of two wheeled vehicles. All cyclists park multiple bikes to a spot, and the city should want more parking available for more visitors so not allowing two scooters or motorcycles to park in the same spot seems counter-intuitive.

3. The obnoxious chopper parked next to them, in the same space, did not get a ticket because he didn’t have a plate!

So three vehicles, three tickets on one space, one vehicle no ticket at all for not having a license plate.

cc
    cc
    Login to Send PM

I think 1 vehicle per space is pretty obvious….

I thought you could buy a yearly permit for scooters $55? Regardless, I hope they someday get the kiosks where it is as many vehicles that can fit on a street.

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

For a motorcycle or scooter where you could fit 8? It’s how all cyclists use metered spaces when riding together. Everywhere.

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

They do have a sticker program. I would love to see the stats on how many people actually buy them though. I am not putting a sticker on any of my bikes and I am even less likely to pony up to get them all three covered. I don’t think it makes economic sense for most cyclists to use the spaces. They were a great idea when they were free, I even worked with a group of people on some alternative ways to pay for them besides the two-wheeled vehicles themselves but they wouldn’t go for it.

cc
    cc
    Login to Send PM

http://scooterparking.wordpress.com/

Because a scooter is licensed, it can’t share a parking space or meter, nor can it be put in a bike rack.

Parking on the sidewalk, too, is illegal.

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

I understand that it can’t park on the sidewalk, that makes sense. Forcing eight vehicles to take up eight spaces when they could take up one is stupid.
    Also worth noting that site hasn’t been updated since the city started charging for those spaces.
    I am not arguing that the law exists, I am arguing its logic.

cc
    cc
    Login to Send PM

I agree, but the parking authority wants its $$. That is why parking kiosks (instead of meters) make more sense.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I’ve heard the one-vehicle-per-space law before, but assume it was rarely ticketed because it’s easy to get out of with the “I parked my one vehicle in the spot and paid the meter (parked legally) and the other people came and parked there afterward illegally without my knowledge or consent” reasoning.

I wouldn’t be surprised if every single person who got a ticket could get out of it with that exact excuse via the voicemail call-in system with the number on the ticket. Justsayin’.

DCist
    Login to Send PM

Tigertree wrote >>
    I understand that it can’t park on the sidewalk, that makes sense. Forcing eight vehicles to take up eight spaces when they could take up one is stupid.
    Also worth noting that site hasn’t been updated since the city started charging for those spaces.
    I am not arguing that the law exists, I am arguing its logic.

The parking authority defies all logic for sure. Its about the benjamins not efficiency/greenness/etc

Roland
    Roland
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I wedge my bike in between metered spaces all the time and have never received a ticket. I always make sure there is time on the meter and do have the two wheeled permit sticker as well.

My guess on the matter is that the parking enforcement crew tend to let this slide as long as there is time on the meter.

I personally think if bikes can fit in the space reasonable that they should be allowed to do so. I don’t really see a problem though with everyone in the space of an expired meter being ticketed. Can’t have 1 ticket per space if your going to allow multiple vehicles parking in it.

With regards to the two wheeled parking permit, it only applied to designated two wheeled parking areas. I’ve been ticketed being in those spaces without having the permit. They seem to be strict about that. The only way you can park in those zones is if your displaying the permit on your bike. Would be great if it were a sticker that could go your license plate, but it’s not a big deal. I’m very happy that these two-wheel zones exist.

Bear
    Bear
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Roland wrote >>
    I wedge my bike in between metered spaces all the time and have never received a ticket.

Pro Tow wrote dirty motherfucking parking thieves!!!

Roland
    Roland
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Bear wrote >>

Roland wrote >>
    I wedge my bike in between metered spaces all the time and have never received a ticket.

Pro Tow wrote dirty motherfucking parking thieves!!!

I’ll never forget that night. TacoDrew stirring up a hornets nest and me being stuck in it!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?