Our City Online

Messageboard - Film Events

OY VEY! MY SON IS GAY! with director q+a after the film

Home Forums Events Film Events OY VEY! MY SON IS GAY! with director q+a after the film

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by SusanB SusanB 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SusanB
    SusanB
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

OY VEY! MY SON IS GAY! with director q+a after the film

Special Post Festival Screening

Ohio Premiere

Thursday, December 9 · 8:00pm – 10:00pm

Location Gateway Film Center

1550 North High Street

Columbus, OH

This screening is co sponsored by Stonewall Columbus, the Gateway Film Center, and the CIFVF.

OY VEY! MY SON IS GAY! is the story of the Hirsch’s, a Jewish family living in the North Shore of Long Island, where every Friday night Shirley Hirsch (Lainie Kazan) invites another “perfect” girl for Shabbat dinner in hopes that her son, Nelson (John Lloyd Young), will marry a nice Jewish girl. When Shirley and Martin (Saul Rubinek) once again set him up on a date, Nelson reveals that he is already seeing someone. Shirley and Martin are thrilled and can’t wait to meet the lucky lady.

OY VEY! MY SON IS GAY! is a romantic comedy about how far we come and yet how far we still have to go…

Director EVGENY AFINEEVSKY will be at the screening and do q+a after the film.

Admission is just $6.

http://www.chrisawards.org

awd86ed
    awd86ed
    Login to Send PM

I just received an email about this. Looks funny.

SusanB
    SusanB
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

SusanB
    SusanB
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    SusanB
    SusanB
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

You can buy tickets on line at:

http://gatewayfilmcenter.com/coming-soon

SusanB
    SusanB
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Tomorrow night. Funny movie.

SusanB
    SusanB
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Tonight. Oy Vey! My Son Is Gay! with director q+a at the Gateway. Sorry, I couldn’t resist that.

hungrywoolf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Really enjoyed this. Thanks to Stonewall Columbus, the Gateway Film Center, and the CIFVF for bringing this award winning film to town.

If anyone couldn’t make it tonight and would like to see the film (it really is funny, and touching) – it opens at Lennox on December 24th (and I believe it runs for a week). Some very memorable performances and almost worth seeing for the opening sequence alone.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Yes – agreed… it was very funny and had moments of such sweetness. The vibe of it reminded me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding – similar theming as well.

A neat tie in is that when this opens at Lennox, that is its big screen debut as a feature film – Here! In Columbus! The director said he has a very good friend who is from here who convinced him this was the city to start the film in – that we are a moving going people. Judging by my twitter feed, I don’t think that’s wrong!

SusanB
    SusanB
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m super happy that you folks liked the event. The CIFVF has been broadening its film selection over the years, to include comedy, animation, etc. Traditionally we have been known for incredibly moving but sometimes depressing documentaries, which are great, but sometimes you just want to go to a movie and laugh and smile. We love the fact that we can show emerging indie films that know one else has, especially if they go on to bigger and better things, as Oy Vey! is doing. Thanks for going and keep your eyes open for us because we have a lot of super cool stuff coming up in 2011, including workshops, director talks, and of course more great movies.

The CIFVF- films you can’t see anywhere else! (at least at the time we screen ‘em, see them first with us ;) )

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Film Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.