Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

OSU Parking Privatization - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion OSU Parking Privatization – News & Updates

This topic contains 99 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by countessbranca countessbranca 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 100 total)
  • Author

howatzer
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Jeffersin said:
    What happens after the first 10 years is up? They can increase the percentage every year by any amount they want?

From the FAQ page

What happens to rate increases after the first ten years?

The cap for the remaining years would be set by the Midwest Consumer Price Index or 4 percent—whichever is higher. The Midwest Consumer Price Index is part of the Consumer Price Index and measures inflation in our region of the country, as opposed to just national standards alone. There are also details in the proposed contract to ensure that a random spike in national or regional inflation over one or even two years would not mean a significant cost increase for our faculty, staff and students.

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Jeffersin said:
    from above… a guaranteed maximum parking rate-increase capped at 5.5 percent for the next ten years.

What happens after the first 10 years is up? They can increase the percentage every year by any amount they want?

Not only that, but OSU would be barred from doing anything that would further students/employees options to escape those fees.

howatzer
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

NerosNeptune said:
    Not only that, but OSU would be barred from doing anything that would further students/employees options to escape those fees.

Is the actual text available anywhere? Going back through this thread, the source of this statement appears to be hearsay in a yay! bikes blog post.

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

No, the contracts haven’t been available for public consumption, so we are just going on that conversation.

They do mention it in the FAQ you posted, saying they showed the companies their current plans and will be allowed to follow through with them. I doubt those plans go 50 years into the future (or would be relevant then even if they did), but who knows. The school wants it, so they will sugar coat it, pass it whether the faculty or students are happy with it or not, and that’s just the way it is.

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

howatzer said:
    Is the actual text available anywhere? Going back through this thread, the source of this statement appears to be hearsay in a yay! bikes blog post.

They are pulling a Nancy Pelosi tactic here, let’s get this contract signed so we can see what’s in it!

howatzer
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

NerosNeptune said:
    No, the contracts haven’t been available for public consumption, so we are just going on that conversation.

If the contracts are unavailable, then how would that person know that language exists in them?

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

who knows, but it’s all we have to go on. apparently these things don’t have to be available. all we have is a PR-laden FAQ website with very little of the 100+ pages of terms of the deal.

megan888
    megan888
    Login to Send PM

I work at OSU and went to a parking meeting, and they did say that any time OSU does something that the parking company determines to be a hit on their income (I forget the official wording they use), OSU will have to compensate them for it.

They said they’d make the documents available, but you have to go to a specific office and request to look at them, and you cannot take them with you.

The one positive/smart thing I’ve heard is the company would only be allowed to enforce when necessary, and that any money collected from enforcement (i.e. parking tickets) would be kept by OSU.

Also, football days are specifically excluded and those revenues will be kept by OSU. We’re allowed to have a few other exclusion days as well, like commencement and move-in day.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

megan888 said:
    I work at OSU and went to a parking meeting, and they did say that any time OSU does something that the parking company determines to be a hit on their income (I forget the official wording they use), OSU will have to compensate them for it.

They said they’d make the documents available, but you have to go to a specific office and request to look at them, and you cannot take them with you.

Sometimes, I think Gee attaches the bow tie to his butt.

I am wondering if Mr. Gee also attaches a bow tie to his butt so people are not sure what half they are kissing. I think this will be bad in so many ways…

I am wondering if Mr. Gee also attaches a bow tie to his butt so people are not sure what end they are kissing…

It is sad and I think bad for the area. I know several investors who are planning to capitalize on raising OSU parking rates (more off campus crap parking lots). This is NOT good for the area.

The one positive/smart thing I’ve heard is the company would only be allowed to enforce when necessary, and that any money collected from enforcement (i.e. parking tickets) would be kept by OSU.

Also, football days are specifically excluded and those revenues will be kept by OSU. We’re allowed to have a few other exclusion days as well, like commencement and move-in day.

Uggh, these types of policies change all of the time and you will have no say. All of this is word of mouth. If OSU was handing out a written contract it would be different.

I know several investors who plan on capitalizing on this and it just means more shitty off street parking in South Campus and Weinland Park.

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Largest OSU parking bid came in at $483 million
    Business First by Carrie Ghose, Staff reporter
    Date: Tuesday, June 5, 2012, 2:56pm EDT – Last Modified: Tuesday, June 5, 2012, 3:11pm EDT

http://assets.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/DAI-OSU-parking-final-bids.png?v=1

An Australian investment fund and Connecticut parking manager have teamed up for the lead bid to take over Ohio State University parking operations for 50 years, offering to pay $483 million up front, the university said Tuesday.

The university says if trustees approve the deal, it would put the money – more than $100 million over what the school sought last year – into an endowment. The endowment over the next 50 years could generate $871 million for bus service and pedestrian infrastructure on campus and $3.1 billion for academics.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2012/06/05/largest-osu-parking-bid-came-in-at.html

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

News said:
    Gee says parking could save OSU
    By Encarnacion Pyle
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Friday June 1, 2012 6:54 AM

Ohio State’s future could be filled with huge budget cuts, layoffs and bigger-than-normal tuition increases if the university doesn’t consider taking a payout from leasing its parking operation, President E. Gordon Gee told professors yesterday.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/06/01/gee-says-parking-could-save-osu.html

In other words, OSU wants to scare people into going with the privatization. And of course the Dispatch has their collective noses right up Gee’s butt.

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

<Gee>If we don’t get this thing privatized, we’ll have to sell Brutus Buckeye to Michigan.</Gee>

Jeffersin
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Following several informational meetings with faculty, staff, and students about the bids to manage our parking operations, the University will recommend to the Board of Trustees that we accept the offer put forward by QIC Global Infrastructure and its operating partner LAZ Parking. The recommendation will go to the Board of Trustees for its decision later this month.

As I wrote in my note last week, QIC’s offer would mean an upfront payment of $483 million for the University, and a guaranteed maximum annual parking rate increase capped at 5.5 percent for the first ten years. That would translate into a rate increase of $40 over the current rate for an A permit, $20 for a B permit, and $14 for a C permit. QIC’s bid would generate substantial money for the University to allocate to core academic purposes while capping parking rate increases at or below historic averages. Moving forward with this agreement would be one component of an overarching strategy to strengthen our faculty, students, and programs by generating new funding. Other strategies include increased research funding, private giving through our $2.5 billion fund-raising campaign, affinity agreements, and operating efficiencies, among other measures.

Finally, QIC has announced that it has asked Ohio State alumnus Bill Lhota, recently retired leader of the Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA), to serve as chair of the project, pending Board approval. As you might know, Bill has been one of our most engaged alumni, including serving as chair of the Alumni Association Board of Directors. He received the University’s Distinguished Service Award last year.

We will keep you informed, and updated information will continue to be posted on the website <http://www.osu.edu/parkingproposal/&gt;.

Sincerely,

Joseph A. Alutto
    Executive Vice President and Provost

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

sold down the river without a paddle…

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

And we still don’t know what’s in the contract….

Mark my words, we will regret this down the road and wonder why they rushed the decision rather than stopping to actually understand what we’re signing up for.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?