Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Urban Active Gym

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Urban Active Gym

This topic contains 124 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cc 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)
  • Author

bababoohi

My only complaint is that they don’t provide towels to wipe down the machines. I was a little bothered that they don’t provide towels for the showers, but no towels for the machines is a little rediculous in my opinion. They have paper towels if you want to use them, but it’s totally inconvenient and wasteful.

FADulous

bababoohi wrote >>
    My only complaint is that they don’t provide towels to wipe down the machines. I was a little bothered that they don’t provide towels for the showers, but no towels for the machines is a little rediculous in my opinion. They have paper towels if you want to use them, but it’s totally inconvenient and wasteful.

That was my thing too. I think the club looks like it has lots of the amenities I am looking for, but no towels or wiping cloths means the machines may get nasty. I also just don’t want to bring my own towel, but that’s one of the obvious tradeoffs for the price.

Rock_Cod

*Update on racquetball*

I received an e-mail from Dennis Downing, Urban Active Racquetball Coordinator, in part saying:

“I just discovered the problem with the racquetball court not being completed yesterday when I visited that club for the first time. I was as surprised as you were. The people that I checked with in the corporate office weren’t aware of it either. We are checking further, however, our feeling is that the back wall just wasn’t completed in time for the opening of the club and will be installed some time in the near future. I’ll let you know if I find out differently.”

So, it sounds like corporate is still planning on the club having a court, which is a big relief to me.

Rock_Cod

*Update on racquetball part deux*

From Urban Active Grandview:
    “… we will in fact be offering racquetball. As I am sure you are aware we did open 30 days ahead of schedule and were unable to have the racquetball glass up in time. I will have a discussion with our PT Department today as I do not want rumors such as this being circulated.”

Sounds like it was just a misunderstanding with their personal training folks.

So, now that the racquetball situation is essentially cleared up, I can say that I am overall quite pleased with Urban Active.

somertimeoh
    Participant

I’m hoping this is the same issue with the group classes. While Graceland isn’t that far, I was really looking forward to not having to make the drive anymore.

paranoidandroid
    Participant

As is the case with any review, even though there are a short list of things I like about the new Grandview Urban Active I’ll primarily focus on the negatives:

I strongly agree with what has been said about the lack of towels. Saying the paper towels are “inconvenient and wasteful” hits the nail on the head, not to mention the trashcans for disposing of used paper towels always appear to be overflowing. I’ve been trying to remember to take my own towel, but that’s just something I feel like I shouldn’t have to worry about remembering every time. Plus I feel like Urban Active seeing me with my own towel doesn’t have the effect it should; they just think I prefer my towel over their option, where as I should seemingly be encouraging them to have real towels instead of wasteful paper towels!

My other complaint is with the Training staff, which as previously mentioned doesn’t appear to be on the same wavelength as the Urban Active staff. I know someone who took a tour of the facility at the open house with a member of the Training staff that led her to believe the only way to participate in spinning, kickboxing, etc was to sign up for personal training. He then sat her down with an inpersonable director of the Training staff who came across as a car salesman trying to rack up his commission and apparently believes “I’m in better shape than you, I work out harder than you, and oh yeah I train ultimate fighters” is a good/intimidating selling point.

As for the racquetball court, I did overhear someone say at the open house that a racquetball court was not in the original design, and they decided to place a racquetball court where the original design showed a classroom. Since this change was made later in the process, the glass for the back wall of the court has not arrived yet since the gym opened early, as previously mentioned. It clearly looks like an unfinished racquetball court and not any type of potential classroom, so I’d say just be patient.

That said, it leads me to a theory that the Training staff may be unhappy that there is going to be a racquetball court instead of another classroom for them to use to their advantage. I don’t mean to give the perception that the training staff are all bad people, I’m just saying the few I’ve either interacted with or already heard stories about haven’t made a very good impression…so maybe they’re not all bad?

Now for the good: location to me, quality of equipment, and price of admission…the end.

maveric1
    Participant

I spoke with a rep and he stated that there will be more classes in the future but could not say when.

crumpton

Re: The Racquetball court. I found out yesterday that there will be no court and it will be used for a personal training studio. Much like Rock_Cod, I’m pretty upset about this, especially because it was advertised otherwise the entire time. I happen to be an attorney, and wrote a letter to the Urban Active CEO regarding the matter.

Feel free to check it out here: http://crumpton-law.com/grandview-urban-active-racquetball

cab124

Any more news on the racquetball situation at Grandview Urban Active? I would definitely consider joining this gym if they offered racqetball.

cab124

Any more news on the racquetball situation at Grandview Urban Active? I would definitely consider joining this gym if they offered racqetball.

Bubbletoes

Has anyone successfully cancelled their membership? I sent in a request at the end of Feb and have had no response. I made several phone calls this morning but was unable to speak with an actual person. I’m starting to get paranoid with all the bad reviews out there.

I like the facilities, but I would definitely recommend to stay away from the personal trainers. They are way more pushy than any car salesman I’ve ever spoken with.

Bubbletoes

Double post.

scarletandgrey
    Participant

I had to go in and cancel in person. I wouldn’t trust them doing it over the phone.

Overall it’s a nice place. Stay far away from the personal training; it’s where they make all their money. If you sit down with any of the trainers you will think buying a car from Ricart is fun.

duncanfj
    Participant

From what I’ve seen, most of the personal trainers aren’t trained well or don’t give a damn about the people they train. They rarely correct bad form on lifts or kick boxing. I’m surprised they don’t have a lot of injuries.

artzymorena
    Participant

scarletandgrey wrote >>
    I had to go in and cancel in person. I wouldn’t trust them doing it over the phone.
    Overall it’s a nice place. Stay far away from the personal training; it’s where they make all their money. If you sit down with any of the trainers you will think buying a car from Ricart is fun.

This is true. I walked in knowing I wanted training. They packages were WAY TOO MUCH, but eventually, I got them to show me the alternative packages on the back of the sheet. My trainer is approachable and down to earth, but I can’t say that for most of the pushy staff. They still hassle me to upgrade every few months. In general, here are my opinions/tips.

Good:
    a variety of equipment/classes
    + classes are included in membership
    + it’s generally pretty clean
    + many locations

bad:

Not enough water fountains
    Paper towels instead of real towels = wasteful
    Too many machines don’t work (or at least the screens don’t) $15 fee twice a year for upkeep/repairs (riiiiiggghhht. See above)

Tips when signing up:

1. Do not pay for sign-up/ initiation fees. They have the power to waive them if you say you can’t afford/won’t pay it.
    2. If you don’t want training, DO NOT go to the free consultation.
    3. Sign up when there are specials. I have a “teacher” deal with my district and I still pay $37ish a month and have a one-year contract. I have seen specials for about $29 (with a month to month option). A good time would be back-to-school (Sept) or Jan (New Years).

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.