Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Two Caterers Moving into Old Hoster's/Metro Building in Brewery District

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Two Caterers Moving into Old Hoster's/Metro Building in Brewery District

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BuffaloTom 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

BuffaloTom
    Login to Send PM

Anyone know what is going on at the old Hoster’s? Looks like they have been doing a lot of painting and other work recently. Anything going in there or are they just making it look more presentable?

tourist19
    tourist19
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I don’t know but whatever it is it should involve the return of Hoster’s beer-cheese soup. I still miss that stuff.

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

What’s the address?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

550 South High Street, Columbus, Ohio

derm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I would love to go back in time one night to have dinner at Hosters then cross High Street go down the brick steps to the Patio in the Brewery District and catch the Menu’s on a sunny summer night again.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

+1 for missing Hoster’s

What was the history of that building, wasn’t it a horse barn or wagon house for one of the breweries? They had old pictures on display.

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I miss the restaurants and bars of the brewery district too. I’d like to see Columbus become more like Indianapolis as far as nightlife, etc.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ricospaz said:
    I miss the restaurants and bars of the brewery district too. I’d like to see Columbus become more like Indianapolis as far as nightlife, etc.

In what way?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

ricospaz said:
    I miss the restaurants and bars of the brewery district too.

They’re coming back… Shadowbox’s Backstage Bistro, World of Beer, Double Happiness, T. Murray’s Kitchen, Outland on Liberty’s. And then there’s also High Beck and Columbus Brewing Company, which never went away.

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Looks like this spot is going to be a Panera, one of several new locations opening this year around town.

Covelli made a splash in the Ohio State campus area with a Lane Avenue restaurant at nearly 8,000 square feet in size. He expects a planned cafe in the Brewery District to be high profile as well. The cafe would fill the former Hoster’s brew pub at 550 S. High St., putting Panera close to the heavily traveled Franklin County government complex to the north and German Village to the south. It also has 80 parking spots.

“We just think that’s going to be a tremendous site,” Covelli said.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2012/06/22/panera-seeking-bigger-slice-of.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Interesting… I’ve often though a Panera would do well Downtown. I imagine this is close enough. ;)

RoJoNo
    RoJoNo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

alexs said:
    What was the history of that building, wasn’t it a horse barn or wagon house for one of the breweries? They had old pictures on display.

IIRC, it was a trolley maintenance building (hence the large trolley shaped entrances in the front).

clairehelene7
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I walk past this building on my walk to work and the sidewalk is almost always littered with broken glass bottles. I’m excited to have a new lunch place on the horizon – especially if it cleans up that strip of Hoster!

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

So, apparently since the Panera deal here fell through, (headed instead for the Clarmont site), the property has come up again for discussion at at the Brewery District commission.

From November’s meeting minutes:

550 South High Street
    MA Architects (Applicant) Five-Fifty, Inc (Owner)
    An application, drawings, and photographs have been submitted.
    Conceptual Review

Option 1:
    • [b]Demolish existing building[/b].
    • [b]Construct new fast food restaurant with drive-thru[/b].
    • The proposed restaurant would be primarily brick façade with EIFS detailing.

Option 2:
    • Demolish non-historic shed addition.
    • Alter existing building with the addition of drive-thru windows on south elevation.

http://development.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Development/Planning_Division/Boards_and_Commissions/Historic_Preservation/Brewery_District_Commission/Meetings/2012/2012%20BDC%20NOV.agd.pdf

Anyone know how this turned out? This site has a lot of potential, and it would be a shame to see it turned into just a suburban-style fast food joint with drive-thru.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I would hope the BD Commission would reject a new drive-through. :(

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?