Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Ohio State To Require Sophomores To Live On Campus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ohio State To Require Sophomores To Live On Campus

This topic contains 52 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Posole Posole 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Hooray!

Ohio State To Require Sophomores To Live On Campus

By: Associated Press | NBC4

Published: January 14, 2013

Ohio State University is aiming to improve graduation and retention rates with a new rule requiring sophomore students to live on campus. The Dayton Daily News reports that the university is set to become the largest college in the country to require sophomores to live on campus. The initiative is slated to take effect in fall 2016.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2013/jan/14/ohio-state-require-sophomores-live-campus-ar-1312045/

bucki12
    Login to Send PM

fall 2016

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I didn’t realize this wasn’t already a done deal. It’s been discussed for over four years now, and OSU has already been expanding dorm facilities rapidly to accomodate an increase in students living on campus…

http://www.columbusunderground.com/landlords-hurt-if-sophomores-stay-in-dorms

http://www.columbusunderground.com/holiday-inn-on-lane-ave-to-become-osu-dorms

http://www.columbusunderground.com/north-residential-district-plan-approved-at-osu

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

bucki12 said:
    fall 2016

Still great news, not sure if it is the recession or higher admission standards but campus has been oddly peaceful most weekend, granted if you are looking for trouble it is usually a short walk away.

howatzer
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

academics? student life experience? the main purpose of OSU should be to generate revenue for absentee landlords. This is a travesty. They will have no choice but to rent to drug dealers and child molesters.

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

howatzer said:
    academics? student life experience? the main purpose of OSU should be to generate revenue for absentee landlords. This is a travesty. They will have no choice but to rent to drug dealers and child molesters.

And poor people of color. That’s the implicit absentee landlord threat unless they can continue to do whatever they want. Because why would we (landlords) make apartments and houses amenable to a wider demographic in the University District?

peter
    peter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m a campus landlord and I welcome this change.

My business partner wrote a detailed analysis of this topic on our website:

http://rlpartnersllc.com/rl-partners/2012/09/ohio-state-sophomores-in-dorms-numbers-and-analysis

Bottom line: We do not anticipate a significant decrease (if any) in the demand for quality, well-priced off-campus housing.

buckette13
    Login to Send PM

I also don’t think it will change much. The area will continue to be a haven for the student age demographic whether in school or not. Even $2k for a house is cheap if split 6 or more ways – and that is what the area is known for. My brother went to CCAD and he lived on 11th.

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I agree that the quality well-priced aspect is the key. I have my doubts about the 10 person group homes that are not in close proximity to campus. It’s not an attractive lifestyle for someone who is not in that 18-20 age range.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

I think part of the problem is that things that are tolerated in the University District (crazy parties, lots of trash, sun bathing on porch roofs, passing out on front lawns, upholstered lawn furniture, etc) would not be in other neighborhoods. Who would want to live near that?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrpoppinzs said:
    I think part of the problem is that things that are tolerated in the University District (crazy parties, lots of trash, sun bathing on porch roofs, passing out on front lawns, upholstered lawn furniture, etc) would not be in other neighborhoods. Who would want to live near that?

ME ME!

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrpoppinzs said:

And that’s exactly what one large campus landlord asked me when I asked whether he would consider making his properties attractive to a wider audience. Who would live in that? And it’s true that it wouldn’t fly anywhere else in the city. And it’s because the University Area Commission is completely complicit while the University Area Review Board keeps approving student group homes. The only thing that will help is moving the students to campus and let the real estate market sort it out. As far as I’m concerned campus landlords killed their own golden goose.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

The problem is, they are not moving ‘all the students’ or even anywhere near the majority of them. The problem isn’t just student packing, but creating or allowing for a student ‘lifestyle community’. Have you been to PJ’s Grill at 2am? If Pinocchio lived in the UD he would be transformed into a donkey in days…

Neil Jaye
    Neil Jaye
    Login to Send PM

I had no idea it wasn’t that way already. I went to Ohio U. and they always had –- or at least in the 90’s when I was there — a requirement that all freshmen and sophomores live on campus. You could move into Greek housing or off-campus sophomore year through petitions, but it wasn’t easy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?