Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

Ohio Governor's Race 2014

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Ohio Governor's Race 2014

This topic contains 152 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by News News 2 days, 6 hours ago.

Tagged

kasich

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    NEOBuckeye
    NEOBuckeye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ChrisSunami said:
    As far as Kasich himself, I think he was wrong on 3C, and I think he’s wrong to want to privatize every state asset. But other than that, he’s done OK.

For the governor that said he wanted to make Ohio “cool” and attractive to young people, Kasich must have been thinking of young people back in his day during the 1950s, when car ownership, highways and sprawl were all blasting off, instead of the 2010s now, when all of those things have become passé with the up and coming generations (and even many members of his own Boomer generation). Urban living and mass-transit are in. Car ownership and the desire to live in far flung burbs is down, yet Kasich wants to add more lanes to highways and support even more unnecessary sprawl. Way to go, old man.

He set us back at least half a decade with that knee-jerk reaction to turn down funding for rail before he had even taken the oath of office. Who knows how much Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati might have already benefitted from a train that provided people with an additional option for travel between the three major cities. Maybe the next governor can get us back on track, pun intended.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

With Strickland Out, Who’s In?
    January 9, 2013
    by Jo Ingles
    News Reporter at Ohio Public Radio and Television

Former Governor Strickland has been on the front lines of Ohio politics, leading Democratic causes since he lost his re-election bid to Republican Governor John Kasich in 2010.

That’s why Strickland’s announcement that he won’t run comes as a surprise to some observers. But not Matt Borges, the executive Director of the Ohio Republican Party.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/01/09/with-strickland-out-whos-in/

lakeerietransplant
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

NEOBuckeye said:
    For the governor that said he wanted to make Ohio “cool” and attractive to young people, Kasich must have been thinking of young people back in his day during the 1950s, when car ownership, highways and sprawl were all blasting off, instead of the 2010s now, when all of those things have become passé with the up and coming generations (and even many members of his own Boomer generation). Urban living and mass-transit are in. Car ownership and the desire to live in far flung burbs is down, yet Kasich wants to add more lanes to highways and support even more unnecessary sprawl. Way to go, old man.

He set us back at least half a decade with that knee-jerk reaction to turn down funding for rail before he had even taken the oath of office. Who knows how much Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati might have already benefitted from a train that provided people with an additional option for travel between the three major cities. Maybe the next governor can get us back on track, pun intended.

A rail that had a max speed of 62mph, ticket cost of $110-150 and would have to be heavily subsidized by the state? No thanks.

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Hoping Cordray makes a run for it.

lakeerietransplant
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

heresthecasey said:
    Hoping Cordray makes a run for it.

Other than the fluke of 2006, Cordray is a political loser. It’s either Tim Ryan or FitzGerald.

MichaelC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It won’t be Ryan.

BuckeyeShadow
    BuckeyeShadow
    Login to Send PM

lakeerietransplant said:
    Other than the fluke of 2006, Cordray is a political loser. It’s either Tim Ryan or FitzGerald.

Ah yes, the miracle of 50.1%. Kasich would be a loser too, except for his deep-pocketed buddies on Wall Street, in the land where dollar bills are the only real votes.

For whatever its worth, Cordray is Ohio Dems’ best chance of ousting Kasich. Cordray already has statewide recognition. Half of the battle for FitzGerald is just educating the rest of the state about what a County Executive is and what it does, no small task. FitzGerald at least needs to stay put for four more years and build a solid case to run on when he wouldn’t be going up against an incumbent Governor.

catnfiddle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cordray is now working on the federal level, stalled as his nomination may be. Would he really want to return to run in a state race?

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

catnfiddle said:
    Cordray is now working on the federal level, stalled as his nomination may be. Would he really want to return to run in a state race?

Yes, I’m sure he would. Governor is not a dinky role.

kit444
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

catnfiddle said:

Governor of a state is a better position than most federal jobs, unless it’s a cabinet level role.

BuckeyeShadow
    BuckeyeShadow
    Login to Send PM

Word has it Cordray still has his home in Grove City, so he hasn’t left Ohio entirely and may have been mulling over another statewide run all along, though losing in 2010 to Zombie Mike DeWine set him back somewhat. He’s likely already discussed it with the Prez who himself would likely prefer to see the Ohio Executive back in the D column.

Anyways, Cordray coming from a consumer protection background as an AG and as the first director of the Director of the United States Consumer Financial Protection Bureau would be a fearsome opponent for Kasich whose Wall Street ties and abrasive personality have become major liabilities.

kit444
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

BuckeyeShadow said:
    Word has it Cordray still has his home in Grove City, so he hasn’t left Ohio entirely and may have been mulling over another statewide run all along, though losing in 2010 to Zombie Mike DeWine set him back somewhat. He’s likely already discussed it with the Prez who himself would likely prefer to see the Ohio Executive back in the D column.

Anyways, Cordray coming from a consumer protection background as an AG and as the first director of the Director of the United States Consumer Financial Protection Bureau would be a fearsome opponent for Kasich whose Wall Street ties and abrasive personality have become major liabilities.

His wife is a professor at Capital Law and they have a couple of kids if I recall correctly, so coming back seems natural. I’m not so sure Kasich’s Wall Street ties and abrasive personality will be factors if the economy is strong next year.

rustbelt
    rustbelt
    Login to Send PM

I think Cordray’s name recognition is not nearly as strong as others (not just on this thread) think. And Fitzgerald is even less known around the state.

This is the same mistake supporters of Jennifer Brunner make/made.

While I do not particularly like and in no way support Kasich, he is a strong candidate for re-election so long as he avoids minefields like another SB 5 or signing something ridiculous into law, like a new version of the “Heartbeat Bill”.

At this point, it looks like any Democrat candidate is going to be a sacrificial lamb.

BuckeyeShadow
    BuckeyeShadow
    Login to Send PM

rustbelt said:
    I think Cordray’s name recognition is not nearly as strong as others (not just on this thread) think. And Fitzgerald is even less known around the state.

This is the same mistake supporters of Jennifer Brunner make/made.

While I do not particularly like and in no way support Kasich, he is a strong candidate for re-election so long as he avoids minefields like another SB 5 or signing something ridiculous into law, like a new version of the “Heartbeat Bill”.

At this point, it looks like any Democrat candidate is going to be a sacrificial lamb.

Kasich definitely backed away from the sinkhole that could have swallowed his governorship whole–and may have even split the state, literally–had he decided to outright privatize the I-80 Turnpike. He’s slow on some things, but I’ll give him a little credit for not being outright stupid when it comes to his own self-preservation. Still, the toll increases aren’t going to win him many votes in the north.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

BuckeyeShadow said:
    Kasich definitely backed away from the sinkhole that could have swallowed his governorship whole–and may have even split the state, literally–had he decided to outright privatize the I-80 Turnpike. He’s slow on some things, but I’ll give him a little credit for not being outright stupid when it comes to his own self-preservation. Still, the toll increases aren’t going to win him many votes in the north.

JobsOhio…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?