Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

Ohio government shutdown?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Ohio government shutdown?

This topic contains 130 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Mae 5 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 131 total)
  • Author

Mae
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Strickland mentioned a possible state shutdown if the Senate does not pass his budget.

Dispatch article: Shut down the state? Just maybe

It sounds like he promised the slot machines to someone.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

So glad I got out of working for the state last year…

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Mae wrote >>
    Strickland mentioned a possible state shutdown if the Senate does not pass his budget.
    Dispatch article: Shut down the state? Just maybe
    It sounds like he promised the slot machines to someone.

It sounds to me like he wants to get the Republican Senators to come up with ideas rather than saying no to everything. I think the Republicans will call his bluff though. Idiot conservatives think that no government is a great thing and that a shut down would save money.

CMH Gourmand
    CMH Gourmand
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The state is also not paying its bills. Many checks are cut by the Department of Administrative Services. Currently, state agencies are sending processed payment information to DAS but DAS can not send out the checks due to the budget situation.

In my case, all of the money for my budget is federal dollars so the state budget is a non fiscal issue – except that that money gets processed by DAS. So my agency has the money, but the checks can not be cut. So a big backlog of payments is starting and my vendors – many of whom work only for my agency are not getting paid.

As is often the case – efforts to save money often cost money and cuase additional work in the long run.

CMH Gourmand
    CMH Gourmand
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Anyone want to hire me….this nonsense is driving my batty.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

CMH Gourmand wrote >>
    As is often the case – efforts to save money often cost money and cuase additional work in the long run.

late fees and interest payments to vendors can really add up. It’s totally fiscally irresponsible.

gramarye
    gramarye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Rockmastermike wrote >>

CMH Gourmand wrote >>

late fees and interest payments to vendors can really add up. It’s totally fiscally irresponsible.

Is the state government actually on the hook for those in the event of a shutdown?

honavery
    Login to Send PM

gramarye wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

CMH Gourmand wrote >>

Is the state government actually on the hook for those in the event of a shutdown?

Listening to NPR this morning, it sounds like it is.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

gramarye wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

CMH Gourmand wrote >>

subject to unusual contractual details with some vendors, but generally yes.

Bear
    Bear
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’d like to propose a Constitutional amendment that says that, any time the State government is shut down, an algorithm kicks in and random citizens are furloughed from their jobs without pay for a week at a time, and their salaries are put in escrow to pay off late fees and interest payments, until a budget is passed. We can blame the politicians all we want, but ultimately we’re the ones who elect them.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

they should enact a statewide ordinance to collect license fees for bicycle plates. problem(s) solved.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The Ohio Government’s future is solely dependent on gambling, eh?

Wow.

turnedNOTburned
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We often meet our destiny on the road we take to avoid it. The time for the hard decisions is here. The legislature needs to make the decision given what they know and move forward. Its the only way out of this. If there were better options, I’m certain the collective intelligence of government and community would have come up with it. At some point we have to see it for what it is – government spending more than it makes.

Do it.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

turnedNOTburned wrote >>
    government spending more than it makes.

Bingo.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

No, not bingo….slot machines. First the governor gives us keno, now he is forcing slot machine gambling on us. He is threatening to refuse to sign the budget bill unless the legislature votes to allow digital slot machines at Ohio race tracks.

Ohio voters have rejected slot machines three times already if I recall correctly. The legislature is unwilling to vote to authorize slots; they want to leave it to the voters. My guess is that they don’t want to authorize something that the voters hate…that seems responsible and respectable to me.

Why is Strickland so hot on slots? He must owe someone a big favor.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?