Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Obtaining A Green Card Through Marriage

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Obtaining A Green Card Through Marriage

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  kmg67 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

kmg67
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Anyone here obtain a green card via marriage to a US citizen? I’m a Canadian citizen who has been living legally in Columbus since 1998 on TN work permit and will be getting married next October. I’ve been looking over the forms on the USCIS website as well as another immigration help website called immihelp.com and the process looks pretty straight forward but wondering if it would be worth contacting an immigration attorney at least for a consultation? If so can anyone recommend one?

Thanks.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

kmg67 said:
    Anyone here obtain a green card via marriage to a US citizen? I’m a Canadian citizen but have been living in Columbus since 1998 on TN work permit and will be getting married next October. I’ve been looking over the forms on the USCIS website and most of it looks pretty straight forward but wondering if it would be worth contacting an immigration attorney at least for a consultation? If so can anyone recommend one?

Thanks.

Hi kmg67, I know of someone. PM if you want her info.

Roscoe
    Roscoe
    Login to Send PM

kmg67- My wife is Canadian, and having been through the process with her, I can’t imagine not using an attorney. Our is out-of-state, so I don’t have any local recommendations though.

Keep your options open, as a Spousal Visa is one option towards permanent residency, but there are a lot of variables that may or may not make it the best/cheapest/quickest option towards residency or citizenship.

Good luck, and welcome. Congratulations on your decision to stay!

chaptal
    chaptal
    Login to Send PM

My wife is from the UK, we were married three years ago on a marriage visa. She then went through the process of obtaining a green card. She was living in the UK at the time and obtained what I think was a k-1 (marriage visa) which meant we had 120 days from her arrival in the U.S. to get married. During that time, we started working on getting her a green card. It’s a lengthy, detailed process but if you fill out all the paperwork right and are patient it will work out. We did not have an attorney, but we had a couple on speed dial just in case.

Good luck to you both.

rustbelt
    rustbelt
    Login to Send PM

I also know a few reputable and honest immigration attorneys if you want to PM me.

gramarye
    gramarye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We have one in our firm as well; PM me if you want his info, though he’s based in Cleveland (not that that matters as much in the digital era).

I went through this myself this past summer with my wife from India. The process is reasonably straightforward, but it is not short and there are a lot of different forms to fill out. You will not need a K-1 if you are already living in this country legally on a different kind of visa (H1-B, F, etc.). There are a fair number of other forms, however, so it could be easy to miss one. It is certainly possible to get it all done successfully without an attorney, but I was definitely glad to have one in the firm to hit up for advice.

Pro Se
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Yes, it isn’t overly complicated. It essentially comes down to the i-130; i-131; i-485; i-693 (part of the i-485); i-765; and i-864 (part of the i-485 as well). You don’t necessarily need to do the i-131 and i-765 at the outset but you might as well to the extent it seems you are filing a comprehensive package. As an added bonus, the i-131 and i-765 fees are waived if they are submitted with the i-130 and i-485. Beyond these forms, it has more to do with documentation. Good luck!

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pro Se said:
    Yes, it isn’t overly complicated. It essentially comes down to the i-130; i-131; i-485; i-693 (part of the i-485); i-765; and i-864 (part of the i-485 as well). You don’t necessarily need to do the i-131 and i-765 at the outset but you might as well to the extent it seems you are filing a comprehensive package. As an added bonus, the i-131 and i-765 fees are waived if they are submitted with the i-130 and i-485. Beyond these forms, it has more to do with documentation. Good luck!

Yup. Not complicated at all.

kmg67
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies everyone!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?