Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

New Walmart Planned on Sawmill Road

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Walmart Planned on Sawmill Road

This topic contains 67 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by Alex Silbajoris Alex Silbajoris 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It would be nice if the developer gave them money to move, but they don’t have to. It probably wouldn’t be much compared to the cost of the whole project. I suppose that’s life out in places designed for a short lifespan, though.

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

GCrites80s said:
    It would be nice if the developer gave them money to move, but they don’t have to. It probably wouldn’t be much compared to the cost of the whole project. I suppose that’s life out in places designed for a short lifespan, though.

Is 30 years a short life span?

melikecheese
    melikecheese
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

You know what would have made that a much better news article, actually telling people where this is on a long stretch of road…

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

johnwirtz said:

For a strip plaza, probably not. Not that’s that’s a positive statement on the kind of building that goes on in these areas.

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

melikecheese said:
    You know what would have made that a much better news article, actually telling people where this is on a long stretch of road…

Between Summer and Saltergate.

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

johnwirtz said:

For structures it should be very short. But that’s not how it’s played out since after WWII, especially in sprawl. Think about how many parts of town developed in the early ’90s are already in bad shape. Or even the early 2000s here and there.

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

GCrites80s said:

I assume it is all spelled out in the leases. Restaurant leases are usually renewed with multi-year contracts. There was probably writing on the wall well before this press release.

RedStorm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Don’t think it will happen. Wal-Mart has tried many times north of that section on Sawmill (where it becomes Sawmill Parkway) and got turned away by homeowners associations and whatnot. Can’t see it going over well again.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

RedStorm said:
    …got turned away by homeowners associations and whatnot.

Must protect the beauty of the strip malls and housing subdivisions in the area from the ugliness of the WalMart! ;)

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Must protect the beauty of the strip malls and housing subdivisions in the area from the ugliness of the WalMart! ;)

Ha, exactly, and how often does Wal-Mart seriously get turned away? They seem to be pretty successful at getting whatever they want and going wherever they want.

MHJ
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I was going to ask whether it made sense to put a Walmart so close to the one that is in Carriage Place Shopping Center at Sawmill and Bethel Road, but when I Googled I found that technically the Walmart near Tuttle Mall on Britton Parkway is about as far away from Carriage Place as Olde Sawmill Square.

Matt Boyd
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walmart has got to be banking on the idea that the people who live in Dublin/Columbus/Powell in that area north of I-270 will choose to go to Walmart rather than travel further south into the weekend traffic nightmare that is Sawmill (south of I-270) in order to go to Target or Meijer.

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jbcmh81 said:
    Ha, exactly, and how often does Wal-Mart seriously get turned away? They seem to be pretty successful at getting whatever they want and going wherever they want.

Wal-Mart has found New York City impossible to penetrate so far.

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

GCrites80s said:
    Wal-Mart has found New York City impossible to penetrate so far.

Okay, with few exceptions. Sawmill is not NYC.

Nickdude
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Currently they have demolished the old Kroger building and all the retailers up to Skyline chili. That means Dairy Queen is gone but good news is Thai Orchid stays. If anyone has any information on employment for Walmart please post it.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?