Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

New Walmart Planned on Sawmill Road

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Walmart Planned on Sawmill Road

This topic contains 67 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by Alex Silbajoris Alex Silbajoris 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Lu
    Lu
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I was talking with the owner of a business in the Olde Sawmill plaza (the old Kroger strip mall on Sawmill Rd. just north of Hard Rd.) and he said CASTO is preparing to renovate the plaza and bring in a new Walmart. I found some info about it on the Olde Sawmill Civic Association website.

I have mixed feelings about it. The plaza is currently 90% vacant, and I’d much rather see Walmart redevelop a dead plaza than build on a greenfield site. But traffic on that stretch of Sawmill is already a nightmare and there are several other Walmarts nearby. Also, I hope Thai Orchid stays.

M.O.
    M.O.
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Wal-Mart there and someone to shore-up Dublin Village Center and suddenly the retail is solid from U.A. to Powell. Now we need a developer-financed Sawmill flyover road and an outer-outerbelt.

NEOBuckeye
    NEOBuckeye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

M.O. said:
    Wal-Mart there and someone to shore-up Dublin Village Center and suddenly the retail is solid from U.A. to Powell. Now we need a developer-financed Sawmill flyover road and an outer-outerbelt.

Didn’t you hear? The outer-outerbelt is alredy in the works!

M.O.
    M.O.
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

NEOBuckeye said:
    Didn’t you hear? The outer-outerbelt is alredy in the works!

Fantastic!

(Off to buy a Wal-Mart-sized lot in Hartford)

bucki12
    Login to Send PM

How many Walmarts does Columbus need? I had heard they were also looking to put one in at the Timken site in Milo-Grogan.

mrmann
    Login to Send PM

bucki12 said:
    How many Walmarts does Columbus need? I had heard they were also looking to put one in at the Timken site in Milo-Grogan.

can anyone confirm this?

zp945
    zp945
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Lu said:
    Also, I hope Thai Orchid stays

Im pretty sure Thai orchid moved north of Powell rd several years ago.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Thai Orchid is currently maintaining two locations. The Powell location and the original Olde Sawmill Plaza location. I’ll be disappointed if the Olde Sawmill one goes away as it’s pretty close to where I work.

Come to think of it, this could have implications for Amul India[/url] too. They’re in the same strip mall. :(

Lu
    Lu
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

zp945 said:

Yes, they opened a second location in Powell, but also kept their original location in Olde Sawmill.

ETA: jeff_r beat me to it!

AlanBarber
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Man that’s crap.

I live right around that area and drive sawmill every day. We don’t need a big box store in that area to screw up the neighborhood. They should just tear down that plaza and put in some more housing.

Heck there’s already wallmart’s up on powell road & 23, sawmill & bethel, and over by tuttle. Isn’t that enough for the dublin/powell area? If a walmart needs to go anywhere it’s in the worthington/clintonville area or down by the OSU campus…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

AlanBarber said:
    We don’t need a big box store in that area to screw up the neighborhood.

If a walmart needs to go anywhere it’s in the worthington/clintonville area or down by the OSU campus…

Are you saying that a big box store is needed to screw up worthington/clintonville or OSU? ;)

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrmann said:
    can anyone confirm this?

Have heard from several non-official sources, including my best bud who currently works in sales at the lumber yard that Wal-Mart has already negotiated the land deal. Apparently, they gave the lumber yard some land near the railroad tracks to expand in exchange for a portion along 5th Ave that the eastern edge of the lumber yard currently is situated on.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

AlanBarber said:
    If a walmart needs to go anywhere it’s in the worthington/clintonville area or down by the OSU campus…

I think if one were to ever open on the OSU campus area, the mini target or petite walmart stores would be ideal.

Mini Target, Petite Walmart

AlanBarber
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Are you saying that a big box store is needed to screw up worthington/clintonville or OSU? ;)

Well I’d prefer no new walmart’s anywhere in town as they all ruin neighborhoods but it just seems if you were going to build a new one those area’s are currently lacking any nearby walmarts and not 3 inside a 5 mile drive as the Olde Sawmill plaza location currently is.

AlanBarber
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

geoyui said:
    I think if one were to ever open on the OSU campus area, the mini target or petite walmart stores would be ideal.

Mini Target, Petite Walmart

I guess if this new sawmill walmart did one of these mini deals where it was smaller and blended in to match the style of buildings in the area it wouldn’t be that bad.

I just hate the idea of having to drive by a giant ugly blue and white eyesore that are the super walmarts every day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?