Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

New Outlet Mall(s) Planned for Central Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping New Outlet Mall(s) Planned for Central Ohio

This topic contains 171 replies, has 55 voices, and was last updated by News News 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 172 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I thought the cool thing to do was go on one of those purse-gettin’ bus trips to NYC.

CbusIslander
    CbusIslander
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Be interesting what the development designs come out next year with this thrown into the mix, will certainly move up the timeline for ODOT and that interchange. Outlet malls are a different animal, it will get mainly the large intercity travel shoppers just like Lodi and Jeffersonville. It is the latter thats going to take the hit, I wonder if the one between Dayton and Cincy did damage. Polaris is huge, has destination shopping already established, and is around a majority of the higher spending population. That 36/37 interchange is a stretch for many in the metro but it will take away people going to Jeffersonville for sure.

wpcc88
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I don’t think Coach is going to be a big draw, they will more than likely have an ‘Off 5th’ which is Saks Fifth Avenue’s outlet. It will be a decent draw but will not hurt Polaris or Easton in my opinion. They have a similar complex in Washington, PA(outside Pittsburgh) with minimal impact on most of the local malls. I do hope they build it on the east side of 71 though.

mBuckeyem
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

wpcc88 said:
    I don’t think Coach is going to be a big draw, they will more than likely have an ‘Off 5th’ which is Saks Fifth Avenue’s outlet. It will be a decent draw but will not hurt Polaris or Easton in my opinion. They have a similar complex in Washington, PA(outside Pittsburgh) with minimal impact on most of the local malls. I do hope they build it on the east side of 71 though.

I think one of the articles I read said it would be in the southwest quadrant of the interchange.

bjones7
    bjones7
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

geoyui said:
    maybe we’ll have light rail by then.

COMMUTER TRAIN! uuggghhh…

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

wpcc88 said:
    They have a similar complex in Washington, PA(outside Pittsburgh) with minimal impact on most of the local malls. I do hope they build it on the east side of 71 though.

The Washington Mall was already toast by the time they opened up I take it, then.

wpcc88
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

GCrites80s said:
    The Washington Mall was already toast by the time they opened up I take it, then.

the Washington Mall hasn’t been anything since I’ve been alive(24).. but it is similar in context when you think South Hills isn’t too far away and Ross Park which is a little distance sort of like Tuttle to this proposed location.. but you can compare it to a Grove City/Jeffersonville because they are about equidistant and I don’t think Grove City has taken a hit much like I don’t think Jeffersonville will.. now Lodi will probably fold as a result because they’ve barely been holding on for a while now

wpcc88
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mBuckeyem said:
    I think one of the articles I read said it would be in the southwest quadrant of the interchange.

now that I don’t like.. not good, they have a TON of land to the east and northeast(much of which is primed for development already) which would contain the development a little

bman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Mister Shifter said:
    It might lack retail, but Crosswoods is beyond loaded with restaurants that do well. The Ruth’s Chris there is phenomenal. J. Gilbert’s might be my favorite place for steak in the city. Hyde Park, Columbus Fish Market, J Alexanders, Bravo, Wurst Und Bier, Winking Lizard…

+1 to J. Gilberts … my favorite steakhouse in Columbus as well.

bman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

If this outlet mall was going somewhere in the urban core I bet some of you on here would be praising the development and not worried about dining establishments 20 miles from the location! lol

uncleboo
    uncleboo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I”m just thrilled to have yet another shopping option as I make the 55 minute drive from downtown to see my family in Mt. Vernon.

I don’t know who makes the clever naming decisions (Gemini is my favorite by far) but I’d like to make a case for Trident. This maintains the space theme, plus if I’ve lost count I’ll know how many exits I am from 270.

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

^

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

bman said:
    If this outlet mall was going somewhere in the urban core I bet some of you on here would be praising the development and not worried about dining establishments 20 miles from the location! lol

Actually, if this project were proposed somewhere Downtown, I’d have the same reservations. The Columbus retail market is already very saturated with big shopping destinations and malls. I don’t think Westland Mall should just be revamped into a “Weston” either. It makes no sense.

bman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jbcmh81 said:
    Actually, if this project were proposed somewhere Downtown, I’d have the same reservations. The Columbus retail market is already very saturated with big shopping destinations and malls. I don’t think Westland Mall should just be revamped into a “Weston” either. It makes no sense.

Don’t get me wrong, I would rather see a new auto plant built where this outlet mall is going but I am not going to turn development down. You can say we are saturated with shopping but I was at Polaris and Easton yesterday and both were cluster you know whats with people. Not so sure we are saturated.

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

bman said:
    Don’t get me wrong, I would rather see a new auto plant built where this outlet mall is going but I am not going to turn development down. You can say we are saturated with shopping but I was at Polaris and Easton yesterday and both were cluster you know whats with people. Not so sure we are saturated.

So the newest and largest shopping areas in the city are what you are going to base that on? How was Eastland, Westland or the former Northland? What happened to City Center? For every new development of a big retail destination, another seems to more or less die. That suggests a saturated market to me. Which one should be sacrificed this time? Tuttle?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 172 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?