Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

New Orleans Recommendations

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel New Orleans Recommendations

This topic contains 26 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  AmyJ 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

AmyJ
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I have Cafe Beignet on my list from someone else as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places in the Marginy area?

JazzFestAllNite
    JazzFestAllNite
    Login to Send PM

Marginy – Frenchmen Street.

I really like the dba, great bar, great beer list, great music. The Blue Nile is also cool. As a matter of fact I tend to hang out on the street and purchase to go beverages from a market and have a blast.

Here is a New Orleans live music calendar link. If you are around Monday I highly suggest seeing Papa Grows Funk.
    Offbeat Magazine Live Music Calendar[/url]

Aaron Marshall
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

You must go to Domilise’s for a po boy. It will be the best thing you do.

th0m
    th0m
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

DBA had the best music when I was there. Jazz that went all. the. way.

Ryan Morgan
    Login to Send PM

List a friend of mine put together that’s a couple years old, but has aged well (except for not having newer places):

(My personal favorite’s Jacques Imo’s –> Maple Leaf)

(* = Frisch’s Picks)
    (# = often mentioned)
    (% favorites of mine)

Institutions:

Arnaud’s
    Commanders* (Jazz Brunch)
    Galatoire’s

Upscale:

August*#
    Bayona*#
    Upperline*#
    Brigtsten’s*#
    Emeril’s*
    Peristyle#
    Christian’s
    Clancy’s
    Bela Luna
    Mr. B.’s

Moderate:

Jacques Imo’s*#% (a Tulane favorite, no reservations)
    Dante’s Kitchen# (great brunch)
    Dick and Jenny’s#% (no reservations)
    Dickie Brennans’
    Jaeger’s on the Water
    Mat and Naddies
    Pascale’s Manale (home of the BBQ shrimp)
    Mosca’s (requires a limo or designated drier / best baked oyesters)

Lunch:

Acme Oyster Bar
    Camelia Grill (a Tulane favorite – great omelettes, burgers, sandwiches)
    Cooter Brown’s (cheap raw oysters/ good po boys & bar food)
    Domilisce’s (Best Po Boys)
    Franky & Johnny’s (good crawfish)
    Mother’s (great po boys and jambalaya)
    Port of Call (great burgers)!)
    Uglesich’s*# (Best Seafood!) (NOW CLOSED)

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We usually eat here a couple of times if we’re in NOLA. SE corner of the French Quarter. Very good pizza in a great cafe setting.

Louisiana Pizza Kitchen*

*special local note – there was a triple murder of employees that occurred in this place back in ’96

Also, used to go to Angeli’s which is nearby on Decatur, but it’s changed hands at least once since then so I’m not sure how good it is anymore.

michaelcoyote
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

vestanpance wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

vestanpance wrote >>
    hand grenade will get your night off to a good start heh

Those look pretty generic, I’d bet you can find them in just about any tourist town. A Sazerac on the other hand…

actually they only sell them at one place on Bourbon st. Yup totally touristy, but if you go to N.O. for the first time you have to do at least one tourist thing don’t you?
    Plus it’s everclear plus whatever they put in it to make it taste good.

Pretty sure I saw that “glassware” floating around Miami last time I was there (or was it Park St.?).

And actually I avoid tourist stuff like the plague. There’s usually too many fucking tourists for one thing :-p

osulew wrote >>

Deepwood makes a killer Sazerac…or their version of one…ah.maz.ing. Go there right now and drink one. Get one to go for me.

Man, that does sound good. I missed your reply earlier, but I may need to go this weekend.

michaelcoyote
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Ok, I have one place that was awesome when I first went down in 98′, and I understand it’s still kickin’ This was mentioned the other night at Alana’s and I remembered it because it made a pretty big impression on me.

It’s a bar above a Thai restaurant on Esplanade. Now I went here about 4 nights in a 5 day stay and have been back once since and I never knew the name until I searched it out on the internet just now.

It’s called:

“Dragon’s Den Social Aid & Pleasure Club”..

I’m not sure what the name is from, but it sure was a great place to hear great music, meet plenty of friendly locals and get yourself altered.

IIRC Monday is two for one sake night, and they serve it to you hot in 8oz plastic cups out of an aluminium coffee urn.

Straight class all the way.

If you dare venture onto the balcony (that is if it hasn’t fallen off onto the sidewalk yet) you can cool off (relatively speaking) and talk to your new friends.

435 Esplanade.

ETA: Anyone else been here? I know someone here must have been.

KSquared
    Login to Send PM

michaelcoyote wrote >>

vestanpance wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

vestanpance wrote >>
    hand grenade will get your night off to a good start heh

Those look pretty generic, I’d bet you can find them in just about any tourist town. A Sazerac on the other hand…

actually they only sell them at one place on Bourbon st. Yup totally touristy, but if you go to N.O. for the first time you have to do at least one tourist thing don’t you?
    Plus it’s everclear plus whatever they put in it to make it taste good.

Pretty sure I saw that “glassware” floating around Miami last time I was there (or was it Park St.?).
    And actually I avoid tourist stuff like the plague. There’s usually too many fucking tourists for one thing :-p

Unless you are a resident, aren’t you a tourist? Are you placed into a different category based on the subjective merit of the activities in which you are engaged when visiting?

michaelcoyote
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

KSquared wrote >>

Unless you are a resident, aren’t you a tourist? Are you placed into a different category based on the subjective merit of the activities in which you are engaged when visiting?

It might just be semantics, but I generally think of my self as a traveler. I try to meet people when I travel and find out where the locals hang out, eat what they eat and drink what they drink.

I’m not sure what a tourist does, but I’ve seen those sad bastards and they don’t look like they’re having much fun.

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

Oh good god, stop judging people!! It’s a horrible, horrible way to exist. I would love to know what all these people you meet when you’re a “traveler” say about you when you leave. Wouldn’t it be funny if you ended up being the “sad bastard” on some other message board!?! If people want to drink booze out of silly plastic containers, have at it. Not sure why you would even give a crap. No one else cares what you do on your vacations.

KSquared
    Login to Send PM

michaelcoyote wrote >>

KSquared wrote >>

It might just be semantics, but I generally think of my self as a traveler. I try to meet people when I travel and find out where the locals hang out, eat what they eat and drink what they drink.
    I’m not sure what a tourist does, but I’ve seen those sad bastards and they don’t look like they’re having much fun.

I would think that there is some overlap between things that locals, visitors, travelers and tourists would do. I don’t think there is anything inherently better or worse about any of them, although I do find the attitude of being cool because you’re hip to what the locals do to be a bit exhausting. Personally, I think it’s all about what that person cares about, whether that is food, history, culture or just having fun. There is no reason that one cannot combine things that are more well known with things that may not be so clearly on the radar without being deemed a “sad bastard”.
    Anyway, sorry to derail and I hope you have a wonderful time AmyJ!

AmyJ
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We literally threw our list in the trash and just wandered around side streets until we found a spot calling our name. We ended up in some great places both on and off the beaten path. One of our highlights was a live set in the teeny tiny Apple Barrell followed by dinner in the restaurant upstairs (Adolfo’s I think) that had rain leaking through the ceiling all throughout dinner. Mussels, salads, rack of lamb for me, redfish/crabmeat dish for my friend and 2 bottles of wine for $80. Crazy cheap and crazy good. We also had a great jazz brunch at Muriel’s: crawfish and goat cheese crepes, cauliflower brie bisque, alligator hash for me and eggs benedict featuring tasso for my friend.

We befriended a few bartenders and asked for their recommendations on the best bars which yielded us great results. Now only if I could remember them…

AmyJ
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Oh, dba was one of them. The crowd was a little blah though, but I attribute that to a cheesy cd release party and a stormy Sunday night.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?