Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

The Apartments at Grandview Yard

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Apartments at Grandview Yard

This topic contains 75 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

First Residents Moving into Grandview Yard
    Published on October 10, 2012 12:30 pm
    By: Walker

New residents at Grandview Yard have begun moving into their new apartment community which is currently wrapping up construction on the first of three buildings. Once completed, this development will feature a mix of 154 one and two bedroom flats and townhomes for rent in the middle of the mixed-use Grandview Yard development.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/first-residents-moving-into-grandview-yard

derm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

bucki12 said:
    Those look pretty good. Anyone know how many apartments there are? The density is impressive. It would have been cool to add a few small retail shops in the ground floors (hair salon, convenience store, Jeni’s ice cream etc). I don’t think there is a lot of that type of stuff in that area of Northwest and Goodale.

The new residents have a very pleasant easy walk to Goodale Pro hardware, Old Bag of Nails, Luck brothers coffee, Marshalls and the carryout at 1st and Timberman just off the top of my head.

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

@derm … i was just down that way today and didn’t realize how close those amenities were. This project has limitless potential. That said, I really hope Yard Street gets done as “complete street” with all forms of transportation kept in mind.

derm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

They will also be updating the side access streets into the Yard. Right now it is a mess. I biked down there and could not get around easily. They will extend First into the Yard so that people can move between the communities easier.

bucki12
    Login to Send PM

derm said:
    The new residents have a very pleasant easy walk to Goodale Pro hardware, Old Bag of Nails, Luck brothers coffee, Marshalls and the carryout at 1st and Timberman just off the top of my head.

+1 didn’t think about those. When they tie in the side streets it will help. I assume they will also eventually widen Burr and add a light as that seems to get a lot of traffic. Though with that many apartments a convenience store would do well in the yard proper.

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

derm said:
    They will also be updating the side access streets into the Yard. Right now it is a mess. I biked down there and could not get around easily. They will extend First into the Yard so that people can move between the communities easier.

From the Grandview Yard thread below. 1st Ave will not connect into the Grandview Yard, but Burr and Williams ave will see upgrades along with Yard st connecting to Williams. The City of Grandview is applying for funds from Ohio Public Works Commission to do the following:

*Widening Goodale to include a westbound right-turn lane onto Northwest Boulevard. The improvements would include a sidewalk, curb and gutter, miscellaneous drainage and an overlay of the existing street.

* Improvements to the alleys near the HealthSouth medical center that will be built at the northeast corner of Northwest and Goodale.

* Adding a westbound right-turn lane on Burr Avenue and adding sidewalks to Burr between the alley and Northwest.

* Improvements to Northwest Boulevard at Burr, including sidewalk and curb ramp upgrades to promote pedestrian crossings and traffic control enhancements, including signage and pavement markings.

* The reconstruction and relocation of Williams Avenue between Bobcat and Yard Street.

* An extension of Bobcat from the residential drive to Williams Avenue and street improvements, including new lighting, storm sewer and sidewalk along the east side of Bobcat.

* Extending Yard Street to Williams Avenue; street, storm and sanitary sewer and water line improvements and a streetscape completed along the west side of Yard Street.

In respect to Bobcat ave connecting to Williams, wouldn’t that cut it extremely close to Junction View?

Orphalese
    Login to Send PM

They don’t have plans for mixed use development because it looks like they’re trying to bring the suburbs to the city! Not that I’m upset that there is development. But SERIOUSLY? I’ll end with a positive: at least they didn’t slap on vinyl siding.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

futureman said:
    In respect to Bobcat ave connecting to Williams, wouldn’t that cut it extremely close to Junction View?

Well, it’s not going to be around forever…

derm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

futureman said:
    From the Grandview Yard thread below. 1st Ave will not connect into the Grandview Yard, but Burr and Williams ave will see upgrades along with Yard st connecting to Williams. The City of Grandview is applying for funds from Ohio Public Works Commission to do the following:

*Widening Goodale to include a westbound right-turn lane onto Northwest Boulevard. The improvements would include a sidewalk, curb and gutter, miscellaneous drainage and an overlay of the existing street.

* Improvements to the alleys near the HealthSouth medical center that will be built at the northeast corner of Northwest and Goodale.

* Adding a westbound right-turn lane on Burr Avenue and adding sidewalks to Burr between the alley and Northwest.

* Improvements to Northwest Boulevard at Burr, including sidewalk and curb ramp upgrades to promote pedestrian crossings and traffic control enhancements, including signage and pavement markings.

* The reconstruction and relocation of Williams Avenue between Bobcat and Yard Street.

* An extension of Bobcat from the residential drive to Williams Avenue and street improvements, including new lighting, storm sewer and sidewalk along the east side of Bobcat.

* Extending Yard Street to Williams Avenue; street, storm and sanitary sewer and water line improvements and a streetscape completed along the west side of Yard Street.

I meant Burrell Ave. I was under the impression that street would be upgraded as First has a Y turn to NW and Burrell at that spot but it is small.

derm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

bucki12 said:
    +1 didn’t think about those. When they tie in the side streets it will help. I assume they will also eventually widen Burr and add a light as that seems to get a lot of traffic. Though with that many apartments a convenience store would do well in the yard proper.

There will be a brand new Giant Eagle a couple hundred yards north of those apartments.
    There was a whimsical thread about that Giant Eagle a few months ago.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

derm said:
    There will be a brand new Giant Eagle a couple hundred yards north of those apartments.
    There was a whimsical thread about that Giant Eagle a few months ago.

Here: http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/grandview-yard-giant-eagle

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

So they spend the entire first pdf building up and stressing what a great urban location this is, and all the incredible dense stuff located right around it, and then propose to serve that with a generic suburban strip center in a sea of parking.

I give this one an “Oh, Brother!” and a “Ghaa!”

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Some of those renderings indicated much more density than I thought, making Yard Street pretty prominent. Unfortunately Yard Street terminates into a strip mall Giant Eagle.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Doh. Actually meant to post this in the main Grandview Yard thread. But ah well. ;)

Nice photoshop work, heresthecasey! ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?