Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

New COTA Bus Design

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation New COTA Bus Design

This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ehill27 3 years, 2 months ago.

Tagged

bus

cota

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

ehill27
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Has anyone seen the new grey COTA bus paint job? If so, what’s your opinion of the new design?

CMHflyer
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Overall it’s not bad, though it could be better. The new color scheme reminds me of Cleveland’s RTA busses in its predominant use of silver. I assume they chose this as it reflects the sun better, therefore keeping the busses cooler and lowering costs, which is fine. I’m also glad that they kept the familiar red, white, and blue stripe, however now it’s a grossly oversized ribbon expanding towards the back of the vehicle.

CMHflyer
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Double post, sorry.

cbustransit
    Login to Send PM

It is sad how boring this design is. It is not iconic, it is not new or fresh, you couldn’t look at that bus among 30 others and tell what city it is from. Some places are doing amazing things with buses such as color coding them by originating and terminating neighborhood. Other places give their buses distinctive colors to make them signify their city. We kept red, white and blue, added the statehouse, gave it a 90s makeover and called it rebranding. No one new is going to jump on the bus because it is silver. blah.

sorry. i just feel like there was missed opportunity to do something really forward thinking and progressive.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I don’t really think it’s much better or worse than the old color scheme and design, which wasn’t anything special to begin with.

I do think it could have been something a bit more innovative and attention getting, but at the same time I’m not sure what the measurable ridership increase would be for investing in a bolder design and likely hiring some sort of branding/marketing consulting firm for that type of work. Are people more/less interested in riding the bus depending on what color it is?

(PS: Added some photos up top from Facebook)

2thDoc
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I assume they chose this as it reflects the sun better, therefore keeping the busses cooler and lowering costs, which is fine.

–don’t forget that the gray/silver hides the diesel grime better too. They can save $ washing them now :)

It is sad how boring this design is. It is not iconic, it is not new or fresh, you couldn’t look at that bus among 30 others and tell what city it is from. Some places are doing amazing things with buses such as color coding them by originating and terminating neighborhood. Other places give their buses distinctive colors to make them signify their city.

–Agree.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I think they are harder to see.

ehill27
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker, thanks for adding pics.

Anyone have pics of the back, or pics from the side that give a better view of the back-end?

cc
    cc
    Login to Send PM

I agree about the harder to see part. I think this will be especially true at night and may cause some unfortunate incidents with planking enthusiasts.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

“unfortunate”

CMH2579
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The back

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

cc wrote >>
    I agree about the harder to see part. I think this will be especially true at night and may cause some unfortunate incidents with planking enthusiasts.

cbustransit
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>
    I don’t really think it’s much better or worse than the old color scheme and design, which wasn’t anything special to begin with.
    I do think it could have been something a bit more innovative and attention getting, but at the same time I’m not sure what the measurable ridership increase would be for investing in a bolder design and likely hiring some sort of branding/marketing consulting firm for that type of work. Are people more/less interested in riding the bus depending on what color it is?
    (PS: Added some photos up top from Facebook)

No its not really about the color, walker. Its about creating a design that grabs people and forces them to pay attention. That can get more ridership.

Even more, there are designs that actually make riding easier. Designs that actually explain the type of bus. In South Korea there was a bus system which codes neighborhoods by color so that you knew where the bus was going. There could have been something more interesting than taking the 1990s straight lines and making them wavy.

And this was part of a larger rebranding strategy. There are new sign posts coming out now too. And new ridership pamphlets. These could have all been redesigned in a new concept to make riding easier. And that boosts ridership.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

The trouble with having bus color coordinated with route means that buses can’t be easily used on multiple routes causing fleet changes or temporary replacements to be hard to accomplish without a lot of extra paintjobs.

I’m not saying I’m a huge fan of the new color scheme. Just wondering if there are studies that can show how colors or designs affect ridership, because at the end of the day, that’s the most important measurement of the effectiveness of a transit system, right?

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

They should have made the buses hypercolor. So if it gets hot, it turns orange, or in the winter, it’s blue. It would be the best way to find out where a bus’ armpits are.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?