Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

Netflix

This topic contains 35 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  myliftkk 2 years, 7 months ago.

Tagged

netflix

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

What is going on with those people? First they raise my rates, now they split into two companies…

I’ve got little to say about the new mail order name except that Qwikster sounds like some place I’m more likely to find Mad Dog than French film.

Trending on twitter, but not in a good way: search qwikster

ETA: And how much will they have to pay this guy to get that twitter account.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

meh. doesn’t really change much, does it? The name is as good or bad as most company names nowadays (which are generally pretty stupid anyway. “google”? “groupon”? blah. “Netflix” was kind of a poor name to begin with for a mail-order service. Might as well have been “post-a-flick”.

I suspect this has to do with negotiating licenses to either stream OR mail movies (instead of “AND”) more than anything else.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The Quikster twitter account situation is comedy gold. Clearly Netflix, for all their seeming technological innovation, has missed the impact of social media on such things.

And, it *is* meh. It makes sense to me that a business does what it needs to continue to survive in a market that has drastically changed since inception. Postage, the cost of paper/printing, the price paid to distributers for rights – all of it has gone up significantly. I think they’ve handled their changes badly, but don’t get the outcry on pricing so much. Especially when most folks pay ridiculous prices for cable teevee.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen said:don’t get the outcry on pricing so much. Especially when most folks pay ridiculous prices for cable teevee.

+1

How much is “HBO + SHOWTIME” as an addon to an already high bill? a lot of people pay it without question just to watch one or two shows (madmen, breaking bad, game of thrones…whatev) as first run instead of waiting for them to be on netflix. People pay if they think it’s worth it. Or not. whatever.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Rockmastermike said:
    meh. doesn’t really change much, does it? The name is as good or bad as most company names nowadays (which are generally pretty stupid anyway. “google”? “groupon”? blah. “Netflix” was kind of a poor name to begin with for a mail-order service. Might as well have been “post-a-flick”.

I suspect this has to do with negotiating licenses to either stream OR mail movies (instead of “AND”) more than anything else.

Agreed that the new name is meh, whatev. But they did have the foresight to name their original company NETflix. It may have started as mail order, but their intention all along was to move to online subscriptions. Whether they are doing a poor job of changing their business model or not, I still think the endgame is to do away with the mail service all together. So I believe all of this just means better content for online users in the near future.

kit444
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Liner Notes said:
    I still think the endgame is to do away with the mail service all together. So I believe all of this just means better content for online users in the near future.

I agree. The future for mail service is iffy, especially when the USPS has an iffy future. I think Qwikster is a company established to die, so Netflix’s share price doesn’t take a hit in the future.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

wait…people use netflix for something other than streaming?

jimbach
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    wait…people use netflix for something other than streaming?

Some stuff, like AFAIK all the HBO series, are only available on physical media.

Legally, at least. ;-)

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Legally, at least. ;-)

ahhhh…there’s the rub ;)

catnfiddle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

My only concern is there is currently SO much more material available through the mail than is online. Will the online platform be expanded to include the entire library?

jimbach
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

catnfiddle said:
    My only concern is there is currently SO much more material available through the mail than is online. Will the online platform be expanded to include the entire library?

Not likely, since many studios refuse to release anything on streaming. Some only allow it for a short time, and others pull the stuff when agreements expire.

The other day I happened to notice all the different items on my streaming queue that are no longer available. It was something like 25% of the list. And mind you, these are things that once were available to stream and aren’t any longer.

kit444
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

catnfiddle said:

Not anytime soon, but I think eventually the market will force the studios to move from physical media to streaming once customers develop the expectation they don’t have to buy a DVD/Bluray to watch their favorite movie whenever they want.

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m not clear why people think the DVD business is the part in trouble. Streaming content costs are a big part of why the initial price rose in the first place, as it became clear that streaming was way under-priced at the terms Netflix was shelling out it out for.

gramarye
    gramarye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The Quikster Twitter feed has provided some definite afternoon entertainment, but let’s just say that it’s small solace for NFLX shareholders (including myself) who have watched the value fall by more than 50% (from over $300 to below $150) in the past couple of months.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jimbach said:

The other day I happened to notice all the different items on my streaming queue that are no longer available. It was something like 25% of the list. And mind you, these are things that once were available to stream and aren’t any longer.

that’s likely the beginnings of STARZ pulling their content out of the streaming library. they hope to have it all removed by feb if i remember correctly. losing the starz content will put a MAJOR hurt into the streaming catalog.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?