Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NBA in Columbus ?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports NBA in Columbus ?

This topic contains 391 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by  NDaEast 4 months ago.

Tagged

NBA

sports

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 392 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    I mean big 4 teams (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL)

Like the NHL CBJ?

Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

lifeontwowheels said:
    Like the NHL CBJ?

We have a NHL Team? OMG. You obviously didn’t get by the previous post… Earlier I said, we would have 2-3 pro teams if we didn’t have the Buckeye’s. Someone said we already have 2 pro teams (inferring the Crew) and I meant by the big 4 sports (NHL, NBA, MLB, and NFL).

cheap
    Login to Send PM

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    we would have 2-3 pro teams if we didn’t have the Buckeye’s.

not only the Buckeyes,but this area is really saturated with pro franchises.

you have 4 NFL teams within a couple hours drive from Columbus.

obtaining what other cities have will not automatically make a city more exciting,or attractive.

the city has to be attractive before obtaining additional entertainment

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    We have a NHL Team? OMG. You obviously didn’t get by the previous post… Earlier I said, we would have 2-3 pro teams if we didn’t have the Buckeye’s. Someone said we already have 2 pro teams (inferring the Crew) and I meant by the big 4 sports (NHL, NBA, MLB, and NFL).

Why discount the Crew? They’re doing better than any of the Major/Big 4 you cite that are currently located in the state.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

lifeontwowheels said:
    Why discount the Crew? They’re doing better than any of the Major/Big 4 you cite that are currently located in the state.

How many crew games have you seen on t.v.?

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pickerington_Kyle said:

Why do you keep putting an apostrophe in Buckeyes?

Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

johnwirtz said:
    Why do you keep putting an apostrophe in Buckeyes?

I don’t know, natural habit though I know it’s incorrect.

swinzo1010
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    How many crew games have you seen on t.v.?

The Crew may not be big 4 pro sports but they can’t be discounted as a reason why Columbus wouldn’t get an NBA team. Their attendance numbers are comparable to some NBA and NHL teams. 12k was lowest attendance average and 18 k was highest average.

MLS Attendance Figures

Also, the Crew signed a deal with Fox Sports Ohio this year for TV. Same channel that covers these teams…

Cleveland Cavaliers (1990–present)
    Cincinnati Reds (1991–present)
    Columbus Blue Jackets (2000–present)
    Lake Erie Monsters (2007–present)
    Columbus Crew (2012–present)

Between the Crew, CBJ, Clippers, and OSU I don’t think we will be getting an NBA team anytime until the market grows more or a team moves.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

cheap said:
    the city has to be attractive before obtaining additional entertainment

Attractive according to who’s definition? Yours?

cheap
    Login to Send PM

ask yourself this question:

do you consider Columbus attractive or simply a rehashing of marketing gimmicks already used in other cities where it was successful?

right now,originality is a 4 letter word in this town.

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Never mind, it’s just not worth it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

cheap said:
    do you consider Columbus attractive or simply a rehashing of marketing gimmicks already used in other cities where it was successful?

It sounds like you’re too fixated on what other cities are doing to enjoy what’s going on in Columbus.

kit444
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think it’s reasonable to expect that the NBA would do as well in Columbus as it does in similarly sized markets (Salt Lake City, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, etc.) It would face the same obstacles the Jackets do–it would get practially no attention until football season ended and it would need to win after the novelty wore off. For me the question is do we want the headache of an unhappy owner 5-10 years down the line who isn’t drawing well and wants to blackmail the city to stay in town?

cheap
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    It sounds like you’re too fixated on what other cities are doing to enjoy what’s going on in Columbus.

you’re wrong

i was wonderring the same thing about a lot of people on this board,actually

Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

I think Columbus could support a NBA team, currently there are only 2 teams within a 3 hour drive (3 and half if you count Detroit). With West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Kentucky being basketball crazy I think the Columbus King’s could attract good amount of fans, even with the good airport access.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 392 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (memcached). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0