Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NBA in Columbus ?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports NBA in Columbus ?

This topic contains 386 replies, has 79 voices, and was last updated by bjones7 bjones7 2 hours, 25 minutes ago.

Tagged

NBA

sports

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 387 total)
  • Author

Columbusneon
    Login to Send PM

The Columbus media market is just a bit too small for an NBA franchise to exist here. We are already the 2nd or 3rd smallest market (depending on surveys..and Winnipeg doesn’t really count for this purpose because while it is small compared to a US market, this is Canada, and a large market for Canada)for the NHL, keep that in mind. Also, while there would be immediate interest and a full arena early on, unless the team starts to win early, interest would wane rather quickly, maybe even more quickly than it has for the Blue Jackets. Plus, the NBA fanbase here in Columbus is much to aligned to the Cavs and the rest fans of other city’s teams (like me, I am a Celtics fan..born and raised in Boston).

Columbusneon
    Login to Send PM

Columbus will not likely ever have an MLB or NFL team. Someone mentioned Kansas City. KC population is similar, but the media market is ranked about 30-32. Columbus is 35-37. Kansas City is considered one of the smallest market teams in the NFL and MLB. The NFL flourishes there because the lack of premier college football there (which we do have in Columbus). IF Cleveland folds, and IF we gain in media market rankings, perhaps in a decade or two, Columbus MIGHT start to be NBA ready. But those are big IFs. Yes, Columbus has grown in substance and character by leaps and bounds, but it is still considered a medium sized city in regard to the TV and radio markets. MLS and the NHL are considered good tests for media market readiness for larger sports. We’re doing ok..but if something horrible happens with the CBJ (contraction or a move), forget it.

Columbusneon
    Login to Send PM

Also for comparison, Cleveland and Cincinnati are in the mid 20s. New York of course is #1 and LA is #2. City population and even metro population don’t exactly correlate after the top 3 or so.

buckeye54
    buckeye54
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Columbusneon said:
    The Columbus media market is just a bit too small for an NBA franchise to exist here. We are already the 2nd or 3rd smallest market (depending on surveys..and Winnipeg doesn’t really count for this purpose because while it is small compared to a US market, this is Canada, and a large market for Canada)for the NHL, keep that in mind. Also, while there would be immediate interest and a full arena early on, unless the team starts to win early, interest would wane rather quickly, maybe even more quickly than it has for the Blue Jackets. Plus, the NBA fanbase here in Columbus is much to aligned to the Cavs and the rest fans of other city’s teams (like me, I am a Celtics fan..born and raised in Boston).

Although I completely understand what you are saying, I will point out that columbus does have a larger media market than milwaukee,indy,new orleans,oklahoma city,and memphis at least according to arbitron,all of which have current nba teams. You could also make the argument that other cities that do not have nba teams are alligned with other cities franchises primarily because they have no one to root for in their own city.I also think that there is no way to determine if interest would wane if the team started to lose. In my opinion columbus was much more of a basketball town compared to hockey prior to the bluejackets and I would also make the argument that stars on opposing nba teams are much more of a household name and would be more of a draw then nhl stars.

Columbus would have the benefit of not only having a nba ready arena and infrastructure but also being in close proximity to pittsburgh and the basketball hotbeds of cincy and kentucky.I’m not saying it is going to happen but columbus is one of the few cities that could make a easy transition for a relocated team.

I also agree that columbus will not ever recieve an nfl franchise but I would argue that it has more to do with the proximity to cleveland,cincy,indy,detroit,and pittsburgh and less to do with media market.There are currently 6 cities in the nfl with smaller markets.

johnwirtz
    Login to Send PM

buckeye54 said:
    Columbus would have the benefit of not only having a nba ready arena and infrastructure but also being in close proximity to pittsburgh and the basketball hotbeds of cincy and kentucky.I’m not saying it is going to happen but columbus is one of the few cities that could make a easy transition for a relocated team.

Several people have made this point. If the NBA wants to be closer to Cincinnati or Kentucky, why not put the team there?

buckeye54
    buckeye54
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

johnwirtz said:
    Several people have made this point. If the NBA wants to be closer to Cincinnati or Kentucky, why not put the team there?

Because it would take a new arena and cincy seems to be in no mood to build one. My point is that the kings want a move in ready arena with absolutely no cost involved to them. Columbus does fit the bill for ownership looking for that which is the case in most relocations.Its an added bonus that columbus is also near large metro or csa’s such as pittsburgh,cincy/dayton and also basketball loving kentuckians.

Out of all cities that don’t have nba franchises only pittsburgh and kansas city are larger media markets that have move in ready nba arenas other than columbus.

Columbusneon
    Login to Send PM

Cincinnati did have an NBA team if I recall. It moved I believe..to Sacramento! Though at first glance, it does seem like of the big three C’s of Ohio, Cincinnati would be best suited to the NBA today.

buckeye54
    buckeye54
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Columbusneon said:
    Cincinnati did have an NBA team if I recall. It moved I believe..to Sacramento! Though at first glance, it does seem like of the big three C’s of Ohio, Cincinnati would be best suited to the NBA today.

Yep rochester moved to cincy and then to kc and then to sacramento which is slightly ironic. You are right that cincy would probably be the best fit although there seems to be a consensus that they are perfectly fine with the reds and bengals and a private entity would have to foot the bill for an arena on its own.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

Charlotte Bobcats are like the Blue Jackets, they’re ranked in the bottom 5 of attendance and last in the standings. Charlotte Bobcats average 14,896. Blue Jackets averaged: 14,660. Heck Clippers average around 7,000+ a game. Now that I think about it, we don’t need a NBA but if were willing or the Cavaliers want to move here. I’d support it.

buckeye54
    buckeye54
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    Charlotte Bobcats are like the Blue Jackets, they’re ranked in the bottom 5 of attendance and last in the standings. Charlotte Bobcats average 14,896. Blue Jackets averaged: 14,660. Heck Clippers average around 7,000+ a game. Now that I think about it, we don’t need a NBA but if were willing or the Cavaliers want to move here. I’d support it.

Those numbers corelate to charlotte becoming close to setting an nba record for worst winning percentage in a year and the bluejackets being awful this year.I guarantee if either team was better the attendance numbers would come with it. I don’t think it’s a situation of the cities not being able to support the franchise. If those results were in most cities the attendance would be about the same.

BuckeyeShadow
    BuckeyeShadow
    Login to Send PM

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    Heck Clippers average around 7,000+ a game.

Is that with or without Chris Paul and Blake Griffin?

Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

BuckeyeShadow said:
    Is that with or without Chris Paul and Blake Griffin?

Columbus Clippers.

cheap
    Login to Send PM

Pickerington_Kyle said:

bluejackets and bobcats also have 1 glaring similarity

both city administrations won’t pull the plug on either.they just keep them on life support with freebies that are tax revenue generated.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

cheap said:
    bluejackets and bobcats also have 1 glaring similarity

both city administrations won’t pull the plug on either.they just keep them on life support with freebies that are tax revenue generated.

There’s been plenty of teams that have struggled through years. Just because the Jackets are in a slump, that doesn’t mean they won’t win a Stanley Cup or have great success.

cheap
    Login to Send PM

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    There’s been plenty of teams that have struggled through years. Just because the Jackets are in a slump, that doesn’t mean they won’t win a Stanley Cup or have great success.

that should be the name of the hockey team.

the Columbus slump.lmao.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 387 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?