Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NBA in Columbus ?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports NBA in Columbus ?

This topic contains 391 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by  NDaEast 4 months, 1 week ago.

Tagged

NBA

sports

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 392 total)
  • Author
    buckeye54
    buckeye54
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Columbus could and would support a nba team in my estimation especially when you think of the basketball hotbeds of cincy and kentucky that would potentially follow the team. I mean who would they follow now? I guess either indy,memphis or cleveland.Either way columbus already has a nba ready arena and the infrastructure around it to be fairly attractive for relocation.

Someone mentioned bringing a major golf tournament to columbus over an nba team.Although I would enjoy that,it would not even be close to the realm of a money making opportunity that an nba team would be. A major really isn’t going to bring in that much more money then the memorial does and besides columbus/dublin already do a good job of bringing in large golf events like the presidents cup.

Columbus really has as good of a shot as most cities have in attracting an nba team.Although the kings are probably going to attempt to move to anaheim,I am under the understanding that the relocation would still take the approval of the lakers and clippers. I really can’t see them being overly receptive to the idea which is exactly what happened last year when the kings were thinking about moving. Kansas city has a sparkling new arena which was built by taxpayers(for those of you who think its bad with nationwide) that has no tenants currently other than a minor league hockey team. They desperately are attempting to get an nba or nhl franchise to fill it.Ironically, the kings original cities where cincy and then kansas city prior to moving to sacramento. The maloof brothers do not want to have to foot any costs for building a new arena and so any move in ready spot is feasible.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We should totally get an NHL team first and see how that does.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

buckeye54 said:
    Columbus could and would support a nba team in my estimation especially when you think of the basketball hotbeds of cincy and kentucky that would potentially follow the team. I mean who would they follow now? I guess either indy,memphis or cleveland.Either way columbus already has a nba ready arena and the infrastructure around it to be fairly attractive for relocation.

Someone mentioned bringing a major golf tournament to columbus over an nba team.Although I would enjoy that,it would not even be close to the realm of a money making opportunity that an nba team would be. A major really isn’t going to bring in that much more money then the memorial does and besides columbus/dublin already do a good job of bringing in large golf events like the presidents cup.

Columbus really has as good of a shot as most cities have in attracting an nba team.Although the kings are probably going to attempt to move to anaheim,I am under the understanding that the relocation would still take the approval of the lakers and clippers. I really can’t see them being overly receptive to the idea which is exactly what happened last year when the kings were thinking about moving. Kansas city has a sparkling new arena which was built by taxpayers(for those of you who think its bad with nationwide) that has no tenants currently other than a minor league hockey team. They desperately are attempting to get an nba or nhl franchise to fill it.Ironically, the kings original cities where cincy and then kansas city prior to moving to sacramento. The maloof brothers do not want to have to foot any costs for building a new arena and so any move in ready spot is feasible.

I feel that Columbus is NBA ready. Also, what do you think brings in the most money to Indianapolis. The 500, The Superbowl, or a season of Pacer home games?

buckeye54
    buckeye54
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    I feel that Columbus is NBA ready. Also, what do you think brings in the most money to Indianapolis. The 500, The Superbowl, or a season of Pacer home games?

Thats a really good question. I’ve heard that the superbowl brought in about 200 million to indianapolis, which it should considering it is one of the largest sporting events in the world. The indy 500 averages between 257 to almost 400,000 with infield capacity and the pacers averaged 582,295 fans in 2010.So take that for whatever its worth.
    Even if columbus could get the us open which is the only likely major, it would be a one year thing. The attendance would certainly surpass the memorial but would be nowhere near what an nba team could generate over time.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

buckeye54 said:
    Thats a really good question. I’ve heard that the superbowl brought in about 200 million to indianapolis, which it should considering it is one of the largest sporting events in the world. The indy 500 averages between 257 to almost 400,000 with infield capacity and the pacers averaged 582,295 fans in 2010.So take that for whatever its worth.
    Even if columbus could get the us open which is the only likely major, it would be a one year thing. The attendance would certainly surpass the memorial but would be nowhere near what an nba team could generate over time.

Exactly, not to mention having more people come, live, work downtown. It would almost guaranteed to have a sporting event, concert, or convention every night around the Arena District.

MFRONE
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The Clippers moving to Columbus, does anyone actually give some thought to these things? If there is no demand for the Cavs on the radio, how is Columbus NBA ready?

Just because there are a lot of people here it doesn’t mean the city automatically should have a team.

The Kings are staying put or moving to Anaheim (as previously mentioned), no other team is going anywhere.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

MFRONE said:
    If there is no demand for the Cavs on the radio, how is Columbus NBA ready?

Is radio an accurate way to measure anything in 2012?

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Is radio an accurate way to measure anything in 2012?

For sports, yeah, it still is.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

I don’t even remember the last time I listened to sports on the radio. But Basketball is big in southern Ohio and I can see a huge market for a team.

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    Only Detroit, Cleveland, and Indiana are within 8 hours of us. With over 25 million in those two states. I think 4 teams can be successfully run.

I don’t think 8 hours is an important threshold, but Chicago, Charlotte, DC, and Toronto all have NBA teams within 8 hours of Columbus too.

ExileOn6thSt
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Moving the Clippers here would be great. I would hope they’d keep the name so there would be 2 Clippers teams in town and everyone would be confused. Even better, I think Columbus should go after the Heat – bring Lebron back to Ohio so he can choke in his home state.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    For sports, yeah, it still is.

Sounds similar to using landlines for political polling. Probably still usable but growing less and less accurate with every passing year.

dubdave00
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Sounds similar to using landlines for political polling. Probably still usable but growing less and less accurate with every passing year.

True… but that’s not thinking like a rich sports team owner or multi-million dollar investor over the age of 60.

C’mon Walker, get it together. :-)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Error: Unable to read previous message from user “dubdave00″. Please resubmit message via fax machine. If you have additional questions please contact me via pager.

Patch
    Patch
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

To be honest, I didn’t realize anyone still cared about the NBA anymore. My friends and I haven’t watched a game in probably 15 years.

(Wait, I did catch about 5 minutes of a Cavs game at a bar a few years back.)

I just don’t see the demand for the NBA in Columbus. Who is going to buy the Suites?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 392 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?