Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NBA in Columbus ?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports NBA in Columbus ?

This topic contains 392 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by bjones7 bjones7 2 days, 7 hours ago.

Tagged

NBA

sports

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 393 total)
  • Author

Columbusneon
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Columbus metro population is larger I believe than Charlotte, but not by much. I think Charlotte is a regional hub however of the entire state of NC as well as SC..an, while Columbus is in a state with 2 other very large metros and a region with several other larger metros including Chicago. I would compare media markets between Columbus and Charlotte before I compare simple populations. I think Charlotte may actually be bigger in terms of TV/radio..and Charlotte, like I said, is a regional metro, with no other large cities in the immediate area (while Columbus has Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indy, Detroit, and Pittsburgh all in driving distance). I myself wasn’t even comparing the two, but contrasting. They are similar in some respects. But way too many differences.

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Have you seen this?

More interesting stuff here:
    Sports Maps – http://www.commoncensus.org/sports.php
    City Spheres of Influence – http://www.commoncensus.org/maps.php

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

johnwirtz said:
    Have you seen this?

More interesting stuff here:
    Sports Maps – http://www.commoncensus.org/sports.php
    City Spheres of Influence – http://www.commoncensus.org/maps.php

Columbus Blue Jackets look to have 75% of the state give or take about 5%, Detroit 15% and Penguins 10%.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Coleman wants NBA team to share Nationwide Arena with Blue Jackets
    By Lucas Sullivan and Aaron Portzline
    Thursday May 10, 2012 5:26 AM

Mayor Michael B. Coleman has told the NBA that Columbus wants a basketball team now that the ink is dry on the public purchase of Nationwide Arena. Coleman sent NBA Commissioner David Stern a letter last Thursday expressing the city’s desire to move a franchise here or add a new team if the league expands.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2012/05/10/downtown-double-team-coleman-seeks-nba-team-for-city.html

Porky
    Porky
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We can barely support a hockey team, given they have not given us much to be excited about, but I just can’t see it.
    Plus the NBA is horrible and barely watchable right now.

NEOBuckeye
    NEOBuckeye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It’s a nice gesture on Mayor Coleman’s part, but probably won’t go anywhere. Columbus is too close to Cleveland and would cut too deeply into the Cavs’ market with an NBA team for Gilbert to support it. If the Columbus and Cleveland metros were on the scale and size of LA or Chicago, maybe then it could work.

local champion
    Login to Send PM

Porky said:
    We can barely support a hockey team, given they have not given us much to be excited about, but I just can’t see it.
    Plus the NBA is horrible and barely watchable right now.

Really? Most people seemed to enjoy this season. Derrick Rose has been great to watch, the whole deal with Jeremy Lin…are you watching a different NBA? Derrick Rose single-handedly has made me start watching the NBA again. The NBA is the best it has been since Jordan’s retirement.

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Agreed that the NBA has been really good. I think if someone doesn’t enjoy it now, they either don’t like basketball that much or are just a college basketball person.

I think Columbus could support a team. We have somehow kept the Blue Jackets in business even though they’re one of the most miserable franchises in the history of everything.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Maybe it’s just me, I am a bigger fan of college basketball for sure, but I see the NBA as full of a bunch of prima donna thugs (Meta World Peace how ironic) they just turn me off, just my opinion.
    And as for keeping the BJ’s in Columbus, that remains to be seen. They keep beign cellar dwellars with no one going to the games and they won’t last.

local champion
    Login to Send PM

Porky said:
    Maybe it’s just me, I am a bigger fan of college basketball for sure, but I see the NBA as full of a bunch of prima donna thugs (Meta World Peace how ironic) they just turn me off, just my opinion.
    And as for keeping the BJ’s in Columbus, that remains to be seen. They keep beign cellar dwellars with no one going to the games and they won’t last.

I thought this too, but again I refer you to Derrick Rose. Great player, and a class act. The NBA is changing for the better before our eyes, it is a great time to be a fan imo.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m probably repeating the sentiments of about a dozen others here, but there is no way in hell Ohio could support two NBA franchises so close to one another. Only if the Cavs relocated to Columbus would we have a shot. Gilbert is in no mood to move. Sorry folks.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Maybe I’ll give it another look.
    Funny story I was wearing my #23 Bulls Jersey over the weekend and heard more “Go Bulls!” shout outs than I have heard since MJ was playing.

kit444
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jpizzow said:
    I’m probably repeating the sentiments of about a dozen others here, but there is no way in hell Ohio could support two NBA franchises so close to one another. Only if the Cavs relocated to Columbus would we have a shot. Gilbert is in no mood to move. Sorry folks.

Regarding the proximity, how many people drive 2+ hours each way to see a basketball game? How much would it really impact the Cavs? Indianapolis and Milwaukee are just as close to Chicago as we are to Cleveland. I think it depends more on Columbus’s ability to sustain a team in its own metropolitan area more than its proximity to another market.

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Revenue isn’t all ticket sales. Merchandise and licensing plays a huge role. The NBA isn’t going to allow two teams in Ohio to cannibalize themselves.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 393 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?