Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Natural Gas Drilling / Fracking in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Natural Gas Drilling / Fracking in Ohio

This topic contains 734 replies, has 69 voices, and was last updated by  Scioto Tower 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 735 total)
  • Author

pedex
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:
    heh. just for the sake of irony, i’ll point out that i’ll take the war for oil meme over the righty war for WMDs meme.

kind hard to ignore and dismiss our foreign policy history but people do it anyway

given how many policies we have in place tying banking and oil together as well as alliances with oil exporting nations it is pretty unbelievable that the importance of oil is dismissed

gramarye
    gramarye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

To each their own, I guess. I won’t veer too far in that direction in this thread because we’re talking about fossil fuel being sourced from the area around Youngstown, not Baghdad. (And yes, we’ve heard the obligatory comparisons of the two up here.)

If the fracking process can be shown to disrupt seismic stability, then that’s one thing. Principled objections to the use of all fossil fuels anywhere for any reason are going nowhere in this state, and rightly so.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

gramarye said:
    Principled objections to the use of all fossil fuels anywhere for any reason are going nowhere in this state, and rightly so.

Hear, hear.

TomOver
    TomOver
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:
    heh. just for the sake of irony, i’ll point out that i’ll take the war for oil meme over the righty war for WMDs meme.

gramarye said:

Principled objections to the use of all fossil fuels anywhere for any reason are going nowhere in this state, and rightly so.

groundrules said:

Plenty of oil in Iraq, but has anyone found the WMD’s yet ?

Why couldn’t W and his team just be honest with us about the motives for war ? That’s what Republican senator Bob Doyle did during the lead up to Operation Desert Storm. Standing before fellow legislators, he spelled it out : “O-I-L.“

Even Jimmy Carter was honest about going to war for oil. He was the cardigan sweater- wearing president who put panels for solar water heating on the White House roof, and who warned about coming to terms with ecological limits, that is, either voluntarily or catastrophically.

Yet thru the Carter Doctrine and thru a nationally televised speech, he acknowledged before the US public the realpolitik of using force to keep the petro-blood flowing through the arties of our nation.

Republican or Democrat. at least Carter, Bob Doyle, and Bush #41 (at least in comparison to his son) spoke to us as adults, instead of trying to dumb us down with weapons of mass deception in a campaign of misinformation that would have made Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels proud.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

gramarye said:

My point is to question the use of Ohio’s fossil fuels _quickly_ because the supply is surely limited and we owe it to future generations to leave something for them.

TomOver
    TomOver
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cheryl Johncox of Buckeye Forest Council at protest in Columbus Ohio for a moratorium on fracking

Cheryl Johncox said calling for a moratorium on hydraulic fracturing is not being a perfectionist about the environment at the expense of society’s need for sources of energy. She said she and fellow activists with Buckeye Forest Council simply want better regulations.

“I can’t believe they can put a pit with radioactive fluid a hundred feet from my house and not even have to fence it in.”

Johncox said that as of 2010, Ohio no longer requires companies engaged in fracking to keep radioactivity logs. She said fracking fluids from Marcellus shale and Utica shale contain radioactive particles at a thousand times the recommended limit.

more[/url]

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This region had an oil and gas boom in the late 1880s, then exploration moved into Texas, Oklahoma, etc., for a few decades. The laws were tightened up there regarding practices like diagonally drilling under someone else’s land, but not here. There was another boom here in the 1950s and there were some wildcatting practices still legal for a while, that were not allowed out west.

TomOver
    TomOver
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

gramarye said:

Mr Attorney, this is a straw man argument in that very few opponents of fracking call for a ban on all fossil fuels, under all circumstances.

When it comes to fracking, most of the people I interviewed during the protest for a moratorium on Jan 10 were not calling for just that, a moratorium, not an absolute ban.

As Luddite, unpatriotic and un-American as this might seem, they want better regulations, including, but not limited to, people having more say over what might affect the health of their communities. Sounds to me like a call for a doing a better job of being a democratic republic.

TomOver
    TomOver
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

TomOver said:
    Mr Attorney, this is a straw man argument in that very few opponents of fracking call for a ban on all fossil fuels, under all circumstances.

When it comes to fracking, most of the people I interviewed during the protest for a moratorium on Jan 10 were not calling for just that, a moratorium, not an absolute ban.

As Luddite, unpatriotic and un-American as this might seem, they want better regulations, including, but not limited to, people having more say over what might affect the health of their communities. Sounds to me like a call for a doing a better job of being a democratic republic.

CORRECTION: “were not calling for just that” should be “were calling for just that.”

TomOver
    TomOver
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Sean O’Toole from Warren, Ohio at protest in Columbus for moratorium on fracking

Sean O’Toole from Warren, Ohio came to Columbus for a rally calling for a moratorium on fracking that took place on Jan 10.

“One of my main peeves is that we’re not putting enough resources into developing renewable energy.”

That’s because the lobbying of big business, O’Toole said.

“I would like to see, practically, that there are some limits put on how much power lobbyists can have with our elected representatives. It’s time that they started representing us.”

He supports the Occupy Movement.

“Throughout Ohio and throughout the Rustbelt, (and in ) Youngstown and Warren, I support them fully.

goldenidea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Ideally, though I’m all for renewables, I’d like to see their proponents spend more time presenting the logical and economic argument for why we should embrace them and less time fighting against fossil fuels. In a free market (we basically have that, right?), the most economically viable energy form captures the majority of the market. I don’t see renewables as being as economically viable, so why aren’t those that are pro-renewables spend more time educating and convincing people like me that we’re wrong and less time spreading disinformation about hydraulic fracturing and waisting time demonstrating against what clearly seems to be the most economically viable energy alternative?

Ohio is lucky to have oil and gas resources and should do everything possible to develop them.

I suggest that the occupy people ought to occupy some desks, libraries, and labs and do something useful.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

To Frack or Not to Frack?
    01/11/2012 by asladirt

The controversial practice of fracking involves pumping toxic fluids and other materials thousands of feet below the surface of the earth in order to release natural gas trapped within rocks. Once the gas is captured, these fracking fluids are then partially recovered and moved by trucks and pipelines to questionable disposal sites. In the case of New York, the area fracked would be the state’s share of the Marcellus Shale geologic formation.

READ MORE: http://dirt.asla.org/2012/01/11/to-frack-or-not-to-frack-2/

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Did Environmentalists Make a Mistake by Backing Natural Gas?Previous ArticleNext Article
    SARAH LASKOW
    January 13, 2012

It has always seemed a little incongruous that national environmental groups—from the National Resources Defense Council to Greenpeace—would advocate for using natural gas. Extracting the gas takes a toll on local environments and gas-fired power plants dump plenty of carbon into the atmosphere (albeit far less than coal plants).

READ MORE: http://www.good.is/post/did-environmnetalists-make-a-mistake-by-backing-natural-gas/

pedex
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

goldenidea said:
    Ideally, though I’m all for renewables, I’d like to see their proponents spend more time presenting the logical and economic argument for why we should embrace them and less time fighting against fossil fuels. In a free market (we basically have that, right?), the most economically viable energy form captures the majority of the market. I don’t see renewables as being as economically viable, so why aren’t those that are pro-renewables spend more time educating and convincing people like me that we’re wrong and less time spreading disinformation about hydraulic fracturing and waisting time demonstrating against what clearly seems to be the most economically viable energy alternative?

Ohio is lucky to have oil and gas resources and should do everything possible to develop them.

I suggest that the occupy people ought to occupy some desks, libraries, and labs and do something useful.

except you do not have a free market at all

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

pedex said:
    except you do not have a free market at all

Still, though. I can’t blame a consumer for choosing the lowest cost option even considering market distortions.

Also, there are technical problems with alt. energy when it comes to base load that have nothing to do with markets or subsidy.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 735 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?