Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Milo Arts Sold?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Milo Arts Sold?

This topic contains 43 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by westhardin westhardin 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    patient_zero
    patient_zero
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This is a recent letter I’m assuming? I worked alongside Rick and Susan in City Center Mall. While I bought five properties, they bought a crap load, and were busy demolitioning each store in an effort to update their lighting systems in Milo Arts. They had a lot of really nice high tech stuff. I put in some serious hours as did they, not unlike what they had done for Milo Arts. It really is sad to read about this.

Coreroc
    Coreroc
    Login to Send PM

A sad note for sure! hopefully some of the newer options in the city will find homes for these great now homeless artists.

If anyone is seriously looking for space to work in contact Info@junctionviewstudios.com and leave a message. I believe that over by Junctionview there will be an additional building that will open to offer spaces. I think it is still in the works, but worth stating your interest now for sure!!!

tornangel012
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Not cool…. I was just there for the first time Friday and was thinking of looking at the spaces more seriously. A friend of mine just opened his photography studio there this month which is why I was there friday for his open house.

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Judge ends bankruptcy protection for Milo Arts center
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:51 AM
    By Doug Caruso
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

A bankruptcy judge ended protection for the owner of Milo Arts this morning, leaving the building open to foreclosure.

Owner Rick Mann pleaded for more time. He has rented apartments and studio space to artists in the former elementary school in Columbus’ Milo Grogan neighborhood since 1988.

For now, no one has to move out.

Mann told U.S. Bankruptcy judge C. Kathryn Preston at a hearing this morning that winds from the remnants of Hurricane Ike damaged the roof of one wing of the building at 617 E. 3rd Ave. in September of 2008, making it impossible for him comply with the terms of the bankruptcy he filed in May.

READ MORE

J.R. Locke
    J.R. Locke
    Login to Send PM

tornangel012 wrote >>
    Not cool…. I was just there for the first time Friday and was thinking of looking at the spaces more seriously. A friend of mine just opened his photography studio there this month which is why I was there friday for his open house.

If you want a space I have a studio there until Jan 31st under lease.

I could go on and on about Milo, as I came there with a lot of hope and invested a lot of the last year of my life there. Currently there are a lot of good hearted wonderful people there but there is absolutely no business plan and from my understanding hasn’t been one for years. It has always been a transient place.

Anyway I have moved out and moved on but I really do hope they get their things together. Milo has been in the same situation before….

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Artists’ haven saved, perhaps now for good
    Operator’s mother buys century-old school in Milo-Grogan for $125,000
    Monday, October 18, 2010 04:49 AM
    BY MARK FERENCHIK
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Milo Arts remains alive in a neighborhood struggling to regain vitality.

After a year in which its existence was very much in doubt – again – Rick Mann’s urban enclave for artists in the century-old Milo Elementary School is surviving thanks to an infusion of cash from his mother.

Failsafe Ventures LLC, run by Mann’s mother, Dorothy Mann, of Granville, bought the building on Oct. 1 for $125,000. Franklin County’s appraised value was $325,500, and the previous owner – IB Property Holdings – had paid $280,000 for it at an April sheriff’s sale.

The 1894 schoolhouse had gone into foreclosure when Rick Mann struggled to pay the bills after the remnants of Hurricane Ike whipped through Columbus in 2008, peeling back the roof over the building’s annex and gym while scattering roof tiles from the schoolhouse.

READ MORE:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/10/18/artists-haven-saved-perhaps-now-for-good.html?sid=101

ETA – Video: Rick Mann talks about his struggles with Milo Arts

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/multimedia/video/video.html?videoUrl=http://www.dispatch.com/live/export-content/sites/dispatch/videos/2010/10/11/milo-arts.xml

gramarye
    gramarye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Here’s hoping the lower price not only brings the break-even point to within reach, but also makes the building a little easier to insure–I’m just speculating, but I would guess that it must not have been insured when those Hurricane Katrina spinoff winds damaged it, or it wouldn’t have been such a financial calamity for the owner.

cc
    cc
    Login to Send PM

I am guessing there is a lot of water damage…

Susie At Milo
    Login to Send PM

jgoldstick said:

Hmm. . .is that what the fire department wrote on their report, Mr. Goldstick? No, it wasn’t.

Susie At Milo
    Login to Send PM

gramarye said:
    Here’s hoping the lower price not only brings the break-even point to within reach, but also makes the building a little easier to insure–I’m just speculating, but I would guess that it must not have been insured when those Hurricane Katrina spinoff winds damaged it, or it wouldn’t have been such a financial calamity for the owner.

That was an interesting mess – one of the many at Milo. . . The hurricane that blew the roofs up and over was Ike. Rick did have insurance. The insurance company sent an adjuster to estimate the damages on three roofs. They said it would be $36,000 to fix all three roofs. We had a roofing company come and give us an estimate – their estimate was $160,000. I believe they settled on $130,000.00. The mortgage company kept the money – to my understanding – because it was “forced place” insurance – which was cheaper for Milo than getting it from a private company. Milo paid the premium – but they kept the money, thus the roofs didn’t get fixed. That was in the midst of all of the other interesting things going on that next year – so – it kind of went away with the building being taken and getting bought back, etc, etc.

Susie At Milo
    Login to Send PM

patient_zero said:
    This is a recent letter I’m assuming? I worked alongside Rick and Susan in City Center Mall. While I bought five properties, they bought a crap load, and were busy demolitioning each store in an effort to update their lighting systems in Milo Arts. They had a lot of really nice high tech stuff. I put in some serious hours as did they, not unlike what they had done for Milo Arts. It really is sad to read about this.

Wow – the City Center. . .lol That was another interesting Milo adventure. Unbelievable. Yes, we got a lot of great track lighting – sold a lot of it too.

Susie At Milo
    Login to Send PM

westhardin said:
    Hi Susie, sorry you felt the word “dislike” was berating. But at no time did Scott or I ever hide our feeling about the management of Milo. Even you spoke with Scott and I of your own frustrations with the place. Scott and I are accepting and tolerant of things we dislike, even work with them. It helps us understand them better and ourselves, sorry if that was misleading. But to clarify, we liked the people that were management, just not the management style. Sorry that wasn’t clear in my post.

Sorry you felt this was an attack on Milo, but I don’t believe anyone has posted anything here that should be viewed as an attack. I believe myself and others even said we hope everything works out for the people at Milo and they can continue staying there. I believe I have said in the past and continue to say that Milo was a good learning experience for both Scott and I. And this post was made with the intent of genuine inquiry about the state of Milo with said sale.

Your defensive reply is what’s unbecoming. Your post really speaks for itself and I think the people here can see the hypocrisy. As you said, “Actions still speak louder than words.”

Hi again, West. . .

It saddens me that you have forgotten my sarcasm and dry “humor”. Maybe I should have inserted smiley faces.

Regardless, my apologies if I offended you/others. Sorry this is three years later. . .I came upon it by accident.

No worries – I totally agree with you about the management. You’re right, I didn’t like the management/business style. “Frustration” is a gross understatement. *smile*

Too, I completely agree with you – “Actions [DO] still speak louder than words.” I am not sure where the “hypocrite” part came from – but I try my best not to be one.

Regarding the “state of Milo” – unfortunately it will probably remain the same as it has been for the last ten years – perpetual cycles of chaos, upheaval and mayhem – as evidenced by the recent turn of events. Ultimately it would be my desire to see peace eclipse all of the aforementioned.

Too, I wish the best for the artists at Milo. There are some truly great artists who are very decent people living/working there.

Hope life has been treating you kindly, West. . .

Best,

Susie

Susie At Milo
    Login to Send PM

Coreroc said:
    I feel Milo is like that old saying give a man a fish and feed him for a night. Teach him to fish and he will be fed for a lifetime.

Events and marketing are the key to any venue. If you want the arts to survive you MUST put effort into your product. I really want to see events at Milo and promotional material that draws new people to the area. I would love to see signs of building investment and remodeling. All in all I would like to see the proof in the pudding rather than a brash defense!

Well stated!

I do not disagree with you. However, unfortunately, under the current conditions – re: forced building improvements – and the management “style” – I don’t see great marketing and consistent events happening in the near future.

NDaEast
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I hope things work out at Milo. I’ve been there on several occasions and it is a real gem in the city. There are fantastic artists there doing great things … I obviously can’t speak for the management or the constant code-related turmoil, but it must be a labor of love to keep it going, because it certainly isn’t making anybody rich. It is, however, a great facility and I hope this community can find a way to support it going forward and stable.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?