Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Millworks art studios?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Millworks art studios?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by MikeReed MikeReed 5 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    MikeReed
    MikeReed
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Anyone know anything about the studio space out east on of off of 5th? I think it is called Millworks, but I’m not sure. I also believe it is a Kyle Katz project.

No one seems to have clear knowledge or information about it and I can’t find anything on line (perhaps I am employing the wrong google-fu).

Thanks!

columbus native
    Login to Send PM

I can’t find a thing either. where did you hear about this project?

MikeReed
    MikeReed
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I heard rumors about it around… but Stephanie Sypsa also mentioned it- she’s one of the relatively newer folks at Junctioview (she choose us over this spot).

Mysterious…

roy
    roy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m told Millworks is an art studio building operated by Marvin Katz. He has space available and can be reached via email at katz@kapac.com

alexbandar
    alexbandar
    Login to Send PM

Hello all,

Marvin Katz gave me a tour of the Millworks art community at the end of September, and I started renting there in October. They have many studios available it seems, as well as a few already rented out to photographers, sculptors, bookbinders, and ceramicists. They also rent out about half the space to a charter school.

I myself am starting a community workshop and design center at the Millworks, which people can join with monthly memberships. Woodworking, metalworking, electronics, CNC, welding, and more. If interested, send me an email – I’d like to hear from you.

alex at SteampunkLaboratory dot com

Cheers,

Alex

MikeReed
    MikeReed
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

What does it cost to rent there? What is the actual address?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

alexbandar wrote Hello all,

Marvin Katz gave me a tour of the Millworks art community at the end of September, and I started renting there in October. They have many studios available it seems, as well as a few already rented out to photographers, sculptors, bookbinders, and ceramicists. They also rent out about half the space to a charter school.

I myself am starting a community workshop and design center at the Millworks, which people can join with monthly memberships. Woodworking, metalworking, electronics, CNC, welding, and more. If interested, send me an email – I’d like to hear from you.

alex at SteampunkLaboratory dot com

Cheers,

Alex

I might be in touch about the welding.

Cyclist
    Login to Send PM

I think it is the old white painted building up next to the RR tracks just west of Olentangy River Road on King Ave. Across from Tim Hortons and the inn. Looks like an old warehouse or mill(?)

I think this is what you are talking about=

Zoom out, Google maps is not cooperating with me.

View Larger Map

MikeReed
    MikeReed
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think this is out by the airport.

alexbandar
    alexbandar
    Login to Send PM

In reply to Cyclist’s post above -

That place at Olentangy is called the Mill at 780 King Ave:

http://rrstructuresandindustries.org/columbus/

That -is- an art studio, but it’s not the Millworks run by Marvin Katz. The Millworks run by Marvin Katz, where I rent, is at 2034 Leonard Ave, near 5th Ave and 670. It is indeed near the airport, as MikeReed pointed out.

FYI.

Cheers,

Alex

————————

Alex@SteampunkLaboratory.com

columbus native
    Login to Send PM

alexbandar wrote

That -is- an art studio, but it’s not the Millworks run by Marvin Katz. The Millworks run by Marvin the Martian, where I rent, is at 2034 Leonard Ave, near 5th Ave and 670. It is indeed near the airport, as MikeReed pointed out.

I always loved making art in the Ghetto. Brings about inspiring situations and plenty of mixed media needs. As for the Mill spot I love that building and could imagine that being a great place to have a studio. Kind of like a not so run down BLD.

Are there ever events at either of the studios duscussed?

MikeReed
    MikeReed
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Is there no standardized rate for renting? That info seems hard to get from folks who are there or know about the place. It may be that the space isn’t uniform and it is a case-by-case basis and a cost/sq. ft. isn’t applicable, but in all the casual conversation and inquiry no one has ever been able to give me a generalized idea of what a given amount of space might cost there.

“employing engineering for creative purposes” is cool, by the way.

Cyclist
    Login to Send PM

alexbandar wrote In reply to Cyclist’s post above -

That place at Olentangy is called the Mill at 780 King Ave:

http://rrstructuresandindustries.org/columbus/

That -is- an art studio, but it’s not the Millworks run by Marvin Katz. The Millworks run by Marvin Katz, where I rent, is at 2034 Leonard Ave, near 5th Ave and 670. It is indeed near the airport, as MikeReed pointed out.

FYI.

Cheers,

Alex

————————

My bad. That’s funny. The Mill, Millworks. The Mill, Millworks. :lol: :lol:

alexbandar
    alexbandar
    Login to Send PM

In reply to Cyclist-

Yeah, it’s confusing. There are a couple of Mills, Works, and combos around. :-)

In reply to MikeReed –

The cost of renting at the Millworks, at least for me, is ~$0.50/sq foot, which is pretty cheap as far as other places I’ve rented. They -do- have different size studios, so I’m sure it’s on a case-by-case basis, but that should be a ball-park figure.

And yeah – creative engineering / technartistry is a lot of fun. :-)

In reply to ColumbusNative -

As for events, I just had an art show at my building there last night (I’ve set up two of the walls to showcase art), and will be offering memberships for my community workshop / classroom. If you want to use our tools to build something, use the classroom to teach a community class, or generally be creative, drop me an email! I’ll be starting this service in January ’09.

And not a flame, but a request – if you’re going to quote me, please don’t put extra words in my quotes. Thanks.

-Alex

———-

alexbandar
    alexbandar
    Login to Send PM

By the way – our community shop at the Millworks, called the Idea Foundry, is now up and running. Check us out!

http://www.ColumbusIdeaFoundry.com

We’re offering monthly memberships to come use our tools and community learning center (woodworking, metalworking, welding, soon-to-be CNC machining, and a networked computer room suitable for self-teaching and for LAN gaming… ;-) . We’re also looking for volunteers to help manage shifts and to assist with projects around the shop, in exchange for using the tools / workspace / resources. Contact Alex through the “contact” link on the site above, or email Alex at ColumbusIdeaFoundry dot com .

Happy new year everyone!

-Alex

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?