Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Mikey's Late Night Slice and Customers defend Gay Couple

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Mikey's Late Night Slice and Customers defend Gay Couple

This topic contains 62 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  geoyui 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • Author

mbeaumont
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    patient_zero
    patient_zero
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

10TV video here:

http://www.10tv.com/content/sections/video/index.html?video=%2Fsites%2F10tv%2Fvideos%2F2013%2F01%2F02%2Fgay-comments.xml&cmpid=share

RBloodworth said:
    Is it just me, or am I the only one who is kind of depressed reading this story? I mean, it’s great that Mikey’s and the customers in line treated the bigot like the ignorant moron that he apparently is, but should something like this be surprising news in one of the most gay-friendly neighborhoods in the entire United States? It’s really pretty sad that people outside of this city just assume that Columbus (hell, the freaking Short North, no less) is the kind of redneck backwater where gay people are beaten for simply holding hands- and then are elated to find out the opposite. Depressing…

To answer your question about this incident being surprising in such a gay-friendly city, I would say, “yes”. But at the same time, it doesn’t surprise me that everyone was willing to stand up for Joel and his friend in line. It doesn’t depress me, it makes me proud to live in a city that celebrates diversity and confronts injustice.

To address your concern about Columbus’ reputation being perceived a little “redneck” to outsiders, I have to say it’s not an issue in my professional and social circles as Columbus has come into its own over the last several years. The thousands of guests I interact with at our hotel for example come into the city with positive expectations, and leave even more impressed with our version of Midwest nice. I’m not sure if you were reading some comments on the web today, but this perception of Columbus isn’t mentioned in my circles.

614 Magazine put out a good article in June 2011 “Why is Columbus So Gay?’[/url]. Travis did a nice job spelling out why our city functions so well with so different people. Kind of ironic, but the same Joel Diaz we are discussing is quoted saying, “…anywhere you go in the city you can be who you are. Plus, we have the third most gay people per capita in the country.” What just happened at Mickey’s Late Night Slice reaffirms this belief, and is defended by our locals.

Now I will affirm that when you leave the outerbelt of Columbus or of any major city and enter into farm land, the people are considerably more socially and religiously conservative. I was reading the opinion page of a local paper where my mom resides this Christmas, and the content floored me. Brunswick in in Medina County, just next to Cuyahoga County up north. The man starts his letter, “As you look around this country of ours, you see all the perversion and disorderly conduct taking place. Riotous living and pleasure seem to have stolen the minds of our culture. New lifestyles have replaced morals for entertainment.” More here. So I diverge.

Experience Columbus and other groups do a great job promoting our open and affirming city to outside groups, especially those looking to visit and hold conventions here. They have worked hard to promote a city that respects diversity.

Mike Beaumont’s video seems like a good addition here:

http://vimeo.com/12698971

TomOver
    Login to Send PM

Calls to mind how queerness may be part of an ongoing process of human evolution. Recently, I sat all night under a bridge listening to melting ice. The thousand or so echoing drops of water amounted to foretelling societies where people are predominately vegan and bisexual.

Someone who read the TV or watched a newspaper told me the forecast calls for cold this week. But when the ice melts, break your routine for several hours and listen to what the drips are telling you.

Set aside whatever priorities you may have and follow me, as u aspire to be a member of the (r)evolutionary vanguard I’m leading.

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

TomOver said:
    Calls to mind how queerness may be part of an ongoing process of human evolution. Recently, I sat all night under a bridge listening to melting ice. The thousand or so echoing drops of water amounted to foretelling societies where people are predominately vegan and bisexual.

Someone who read the TV or watched a newspaper told me the forecast calls for cold this week. But when the ice melts, break your routine for several hours and listen to what the drips are telling you.

Set aside whatever priorities you may have and follow me, as u aspire to be a member of the (r)evolutionary vanguard I’m leading.

Whew………..

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

TomOver said:
    Recently, I sat all night under a bridge listening to melting ice. The thousand or so echoing drops of water amounted to foretelling societies where people are predominately vegan and bisexual.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ehill27 said:
    True, but so did California. I don’t see a similar intro if this had occurred there.

~~~
    So proud of the Late Night patrons and crew for doing the right thing!

And Maine did in 2009, before they changed their minds and legalized gay marriage in 2012. The times are changing quickly.

johnaesthetica
    Login to Send PM

Was late reading about/hearing about this story and I saw it on 10TV this morning while treadmilling at the gym. I fist pumped the air for 5 seconds.

arualpalm
    arualpalm
    Login to Send PM

TomOver, be careful sitting under bridges all night long – you’ll catch cold!

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

osulew said:

DAMNIT LEW

Coffee HURTS when it comes out your nose!

Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

arualpalm said:
    TomOver, be careful sitting under bridges all night long – you’ll catch cold!

Or meningitis even.

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

TomOver said:
    Recently, I sat all night under a bridge listening to melting ice. The thousand or so echoing drops of water amounted to foretelling societies where people are predominately vegan and bisexual.

RedStorm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think the story has over 300,000 page views on Reddit.

rustbelt
    rustbelt
    Login to Send PM

we all have to stand up and let retards know, we will NOT turn our heads and walk away, we WILL call you out.

Two steps forward, one step back…

Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rustbelt said:
    we all have to stand up and let retards know, we will NOT turn our heads and walk away, we WILL call you out.

Two steps forward, one step back…

lmao. stupid asperger having midgets!

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

beckiloar said:
    maybe just maybe if people were quicker to jump and help someone being attacked verbally or physically, people would learn how to treat people at least in public! we all have to stand up and let retards know, we will NOT turn our heads and walk away, we WILL call you out.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?