Our City Online

Messageboard - Books

Michael Pollan & The Omnivore's Dilemma

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Books Michael Pollan & The Omnivore’s Dilemma

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Red Sun Rising 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Red Sun Rising
    Login to Send PM

The Omnivore’s Dilemma author, Michael Pollan, receives a lot of reverence and acclaim for his contribution to getting the “food” system’s inherent problems on the table for discussion, for that, he can certainly be thanked. There are questions about his logic and behavior that are challenged here:

http://saywhatmichaelpollan.wordpress.com/

What are your impressions?

Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think he’s doing more good than harm, but yes, if elitism bothers you, than try thinking about your food for yourself, instead of listening to some rich guy. It’s not that hard to just sit down and think about where stuff comes from, and how to eat well on a budget. If you can dress yourself, drive a car, or are gainfully employed, running a simple numbers budget and doing a bit of research about where your food is from is no biggie.

Bear
    Bear
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Seems to me he’s sort of cherry-picking his examples. It’s easier to call him a rich hypocrite by focusing on his diet during the period of his life when he’s not a vegetarian, for example. And it’s sort of odd to pick on the “mostly plants” line, which is a core part of In Defense of Food, by focusing on Omnivore’s Dilemma, which is the book that came before it.

Red Sun Rising
    Login to Send PM

This book has inspired a “vegetables are the new meat” movement:

“At serious restaurants all over town, carrots, peas, and the like are no longer just the supporting cast—they’re the stars. Move over locavores, here come the vegivores.”

http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/69369/

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Red Sun Rising wrote >>
    This book has inspired a “vegetables are the new meat” movement:
    “At serious restaurants all over town, carrots, peas, and the like are no longer just the supporting cast—they’re the stars. Move over locavores, here come the vegivores.”

http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/69369/

From that article:

Simply put, the once-meat-obsessed populace is realizing that vegetables actually taste good. Especially when fresh, in season, and carefully prepared—often, it must be said, with an unfettered reliance on butter, cheese, crispy bread crumbs, and the deep-fryer.

Sure. Soak veggies in animal fat and suddenly they taste OK… ;-)

Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall
    Login to Send PM

That was a pretty dopey article though did have some truth embedded in it – namely that is nothing new. Even in the US, then top restaurants like Charlie Trotters were offering veg tasting menus over 10 yrs ago. Hell, I have been bitching for years that chefs in Columbus have been way behind the curve on this, deferring to Midwestern ideals that high end dishes = lots of protein.

“(“That was sort of revolutionary,” says David Chang, who traces the current vegetable mania back to Passard and his compatriot Michel Bras, whose signature vegetable extravaganza “gargouillou” has been copied almost as much as his molten chocolate cake.) “

That gargouillou is one of the greatest (if not the greatest) things I have ever eaten in my life.

eta – And any good chef doesn’t use the deep fryer or other tricks on the veg. Bleech.

A.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?