Our City Online

Messageboard - Civic Meetings

Columbus Metropolitan Metamorphosis - Wed, Dec 12th

Home Forums Events Civic Meetings Columbus Metropolitan Metamorphosis – Wed, Dec 12th

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

The Harrison Smith Legacy in Civic Engagement Forum: Metropolitan Metamorphosis!

Wed, Dec. 12

Columbus has come a long way in the past 200 years, and progress continues as new vision, investment and development contribute to a revitalised dowtown community. Brand new and renovated buildings provide a residential home base while new parks, reengineered streets, and retail provide vibrancy and momentum. Key players provide perspective as we hear from innovative delevoper Pete Edwards, urban muse Walker Evans and, land use savant Keith Myers. Featuring the 3rd Annual Harrison Smith Award presented by the Downtown Development Commission.

• Keith Myers, VP, physical planning and real estate, OSU

• Pete Edwards, principle, The Edwards Companies

• Walker Evans, Founder, Columbus Underground and The Metroprenuer

With support from: Smith & Hale LLC

MORE: http://www.columbusmetroclub.org/Default.aspx?pageId=49313&eventId=583257&EventViewMode=EventDetails

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Bump! Coming up next Wednesday! ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Another bump! You can RSVP to the event online with the link up top. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Press Release:
    Downtown Commission to Announce Harrison Smith Award

Wrapping up a very busy year for the Columbus Downtown Commission, they will co-host the third annual Harrison Smith Legacy in Civic Engagement discussion with the Columbus Metropolitan Club. The commission will also announce the winner of the annual Harrison Smith Award for the most important projects moving forward in the heart of the city.

“This annual event is the Commission’s chance to celebrate the remarkable progress downtown and honor projects that are making the entire central city more vibrant,” said Steve Wittmann, Chair of the Commission. “Not only do we honor those who are making a difference, but we also work with the Metropolitan Club to host a broader discussion on where the area is going next.”

The “Metropolitan Metamorphosis!” lunch-time talk will feature Keith Myers, newly announced VP of Physical Planning and Real Estate at OSU and an author of Columbus’ Downtown Plan, Pete Edwards, principal of the Edwards Companies, and Walker Evans, Founder of Columbus Underground and the Columbus Metropreneur.

The Columbus Downtown Commission serves as the zoning, planning and graphics review board for downtown Columbus. In 2012, the commission will hear 84 cases, including 21 building projects comprising $150,000,000 in new investment downtown.

WHAT:
    Harrison Smith Legacy in Civic Engagement Lunch
    Harrison Smith Awards
    Metropolitan Metamorphosis! Panel Discussion

WHEN:
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012
    Noon – 1:15 p.m.

WHERE:
    Athletic Club of Columbus
    136 E. Broad Street, 2nd Floor Ballroom

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Key players provide perspective as we hear from innovative developer Pete Edwards, urban muse Walker Evans and, land use savant Keith Myers.

Who writes this stuff?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Not me! ;)

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

You don’t have “Walker Evans, Urban Muse” on your business card?

moxie
    Login to Send PM

Unfortunately I saw this too late and can’t attend… but I’ve never heard of the Columbus Metropolitan Club! It looks interesting… is anyone a member that wants to (easily) sell me on becoming a member? :)

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Well, that was pretty interesting if I don’t say so myself.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

rory said:
    Well, that was pretty interesting if I don’t say so myself.

Hey Rory! Didn’t spot you in the crowd. ;) Can you expand on what you found interesting?

I thought it was a very fun event. I really didn’t have much idea about the format of the event or even where the conversation would lead, so I only prepared some loose notes and facts/figures. I thought it ended up going very well and hopefully I didn’t come across as too combative with Mr. Edwards, who had a lot of great things to say and giant amounts of experience and insight from his career in development here in Columbus.

If we examine demographic trends both local and national, the development upswing in Columbus right now is only going to get bigger and our community is going to grow denser and better, IMHO.

Great conversations today! Was very happy to be asked to be a part of it. ;)

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I was in the back tucking into my pork loin.

The realization that one person and $270,000 for a new interchange could change the course of development in a city I found fascinating. That said I think there’s more room for that type of public-private partnership in transportation and I don’t think it would be crazy for a street car line. I didn’t think that the conversation was combative in the least although when the street cars were mentioned everyone at my table went, “oh no, here we go!” but that didn’t end in tears either. Overall I think everyone kind of seems to be on the same page that renewing our urban core is the answer. I think once we all agree about how we get around that urban core – the various types of transport besides just cars we’ll really have it going. And I think we’re slowly headed there as impatient as we might be about it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

rory said:
    I think once we all agree about how we get around that urban core – the various types of transport besides just cars we’ll really have it going. And I think we’re slowly headed there as impatient as we might be about it.

Very well said. And as I hope I said clearly during the Streetcar portion of it… while rail-base transit is seen as a qualifier for some people to consider the urban lifestyle in Columbus, it’s not the only type of option, and we have made some significant improvements lately with expanded bus service, bike infrastructure, and pedestrian accommodations.

Sooner or later, when we get a Streetcar, it’ll be icing on the cake.

RedStorm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Can either of you two (or anyone) fill the rest of us in on the event? Just a short summary? And I echo the others on having never heard of this group, how to gain membership, etc.

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

yep, and I think that once developers and anyone who sells something start to really quantify that qualifier i.e. they realize they can sell more units if those alternative methods of transport are there then it’s a done deal. And I think more and more people are starting to at least see it.

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

@redstorm

I’ll let Walker explain today’s event. ;)

And it ought to be shown here in the near future:

http://www.youtube.com/adrewbart

The Columbus Metropolitan Club is essentially a lunch forum where recent news, development, political, etc topics are discussed. You eat and chat with the other people at your table and listen to discussion or presentation and at the end there is an opportunity to ask questions. I always find it to be pretty interesting and it’s a good networking opportunity.

http://www.columbusmetroclub.org/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Civic Meetings’ is closed to new topics and replies.