Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Mayor Michael Coleman's letter to President Obama in NY Daily News

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Mayor Michael Coleman's letter to President Obama in NY Daily News

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  geoyui 2 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Work with Wall Street, Obama

Quote:
    That’s why, Mr. President, I am suggesting a new approach: Get Wall Street to carry your message of compromise.

Here in Columbus, we have become known as one of the best cities in the nation to live and find a job because we’ve come together in times of crisis. I am a Democrat, but we would not be where we are today as a city without the partnership I’ve had with our business community, most of whom are Republicans.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Interesting letter. Do you think Mike is just giving Barack some heartfelt advice, or is there a political agenda behind this? I guess if nothing else, it keeps Columbus in the news the day after everyone left.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ChrisSunami said:
    Interesting letter. Do you think Mike is just giving Barack some heartfelt advice, or is there a political agenda behind this? I guess if nothing else, it keeps Columbus in the news the day after everyone left.

I think it’s both. I would assume Coleman sees a political life beyond Columbus, especially with the growth the city has seen in recent years despite the recession. Using Columbus as a case study on how to take on bipartisanship and the fiscal cliff is a great way to tout one’s resume as well as offer a potential path to solving the upcoming problems Obama faces.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

If Coleman was going to leave/advance he would have left years ago, IMO.

Cbusbill
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I could see ol’ Mike running for governor, but not washington. But I agree with MichaelC…I’d have thought he’d already have tested those waters if he was inclined to.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coleman, Mallory, Cordray and perhaps Strickland can all challenge Kasich in 2014…Kasich’s eyes are already set on the White House.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

MichaelC said:
    If Coleman was going to leave/advance he would have left years ago, IMO.

He announced he’d be running for governor back in 2005, but dropped out after a few months.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I don’t mean this to denigrate the Mayor in any way, shy of a few decisions I adore our mayor, but I have to wonder if the ex or other issues may be personal hurdles not surmountable for higher office.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    I don’t mean this to denigrate the Mayor in any way, shy of a few decisions I adore our mayor, but I have to wonder if the ex or other issues may be personal hurdles not surmountable for higher office.

Doesn’t stop Newt.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    He announced he’d be running for governor back in 2005, but dropped out after a few months.

I remember. I tried to join the campaign. And then it folded.

I have the Midas touch.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I didn’t realize his first bid was that long ago. I think it would have been bad news for both him and the city if he had gotten it all the way back then, but 8 years represents a whole lot of growth for both.

He’s been wonderful as Mayor, but I could see him wanting a bigger stage at this point in time. After all, he wouldn’t even have to leave Columbus to take the job.

That said, if he runs he can expect to get hammered pretty hard. He can’t expect the same kind of love from the state or national GOP as he’s used to from local GOP leaders.

howatzer
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Yes. Coleman is awesome.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?