Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

Maker of Twinkies and Hostess asks to Liquidate

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Maker of Twinkies and Hostess asks to Liquidate

This topic contains 73 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by patient_zero patient_zero 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

So this happened:

Twinkie maker Hostess wants to liquidate

Jeff Swiatek, The Indianapolis Star

Hostess Brands, maker of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread said Friday that it has filed a motion in Bankruptcy Court seeking permission to close and sell its assets, including its iconic brands.

READ MORE: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2012/11/15/striking-workers-defy-hostess/1708127/

I did enjoy a cupcake every now and then. Now I’ll just have to continue those memories with Pattycake!

MRipley
    MRipley
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I smell a bailout opportunity.

Jman4ever
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

MRipley said:
    I smell a bailout opportunity.

The name still has value if nothing else. Heck with the legalization of pot in various states, I think it is a huge opportunity for Hostess. (Lays as well)

As a matter of fact I would guess that Pepsi would be a good suitor.

This won’t be easy on the workers, and just in time for the holidays.

M.O.
    M.O.
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

They’ll get scooped up cheap and we can still have our diabetes. I’ve always wanted to be a fly on the wall when these unions who spend months telling the membership to “hang tough … company’s just bluffing” have to face their newly unemployed charges.

catnfiddle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I keep hoping this will be the opportunity for Tastykake to expand westward. They aren’t as good as I remember if I buy them by the case when in town, but something magical happens when they sit in a vending machine for a few days.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m sure there will be lots of empty bakeries now. Maybe they can turn them into art studios or something.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:
    I’m sure there will be lots of empty bakeries now. Maybe they can turn them into art studios or something.

Or apartments!

http://www.columbusunderground.com/wonder-bread-lofts-will-be-home-to-mixed-use-redevelopment

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I had heard there were some talks of a bunch of local artists and business people to buy up the company and work towards providing an environment where….

Oh. Never mind.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:
    joke killer.

Sorry! Thought you might not be aware that the plans for the building have changed.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Sorry! Thought you might not be aware that the plans for the building have changed.

you overestimate the depth of my cave.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:
    you overestimate the depth of my cave.

I miss Zombie Walker.

MRipley
    MRipley
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Can’t they just make the Cupcakes and Twinkies in China?

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

From TFA:

The Teamsters union is urging the bakers union to hold a secret ballot on whether to continue striking. Citing its financial experts who had access to the company’s books, the Teamsters say that Hostess’ warning of liquidation is “not an empty threat or a negotiating tactic” but a certain outcome if workers keep striking.

Hostess, based in Irving, Texas, already has reached a contract agreement while in bankruptcy with its largest union, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. But thousands of members in its second biggest union went on strike late last week after rejecting a contract offer that cut wages and benefits.

The Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union said the company stopped contributing to workers’ pensions last year, and the union wants pension benefits restored.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

More bad journalism, they’re saying Twinkies and Wonder Bread are going away. Better sources say those brands will be sold.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?