Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

looking into getting a bicycle for riding in the city - what to get?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation looking into getting a bicycle for riding in the city – what to get?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  mrpoppinzs 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

I am thinking about getting a bike so I don’t have to drive or find parking in the SN area (bar hopping, maybe small grocery shopping). I would occasionally plan to ride it as far as Grandview and Clintonville. What is the best kind of bike for that kind of thing (ten speed, mtn bike stc)? I do not plan on spending a lot of money as I will probably have to chain it up outside as my condo is pretty small. Would a target/walmart bike be good enough?

Any suggestions/knowledge would be appreciated

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrpoppinzs said:
    I am thinking about getting a bike so I don’t have to drive or find parking in the SN area (bar hopping, maybe small grocery shopping). I would occasionally plan to ride it as far as Grandview and Clintonville. What is the best kind of bike for that kind of thing (ten speed, mtn bike stc)? I do not plan on spending a lot of money as I will probably have to chain it up outside as my condo is pretty small. Would a target/walmart bike be good enough?

Skip the big box and hit up Third Hand[/url] or Franklinton Cycle Works[/url]. You’ll get something of far better value, more than likely better constructed and will be supporting an organization doing great work in this town. I would suggest finding the room in your condo for the bike-there are some great options that won’t take up much space to store the bike (things like wall hooks or no screw options that get the bike off the floor).

If space is really an issue for indoor storage, consider heading to Paradise Garage in the short north and taking a look at their line of folding bikes. The lower end of the folding bike lines will run you $350-500. As much as I encourage supporting the local shops, there are some folding bikes online at a lower price new. You can always find a vintage folder on ebay (I have a vintage folder sitting in the living room awaiting project time I got for under $100 w/ shipping) and have the local shop tune it up.

Whatever you get, make sure it fits you and is something you will ride. Invest in a good lock and lights.U-locks are great, sturdy and somewhat easy to carry. A bit pricey but worth walking out to your bike instead of a $5 cable lock cut on the sidewalk. For a cheaper option on locks try Bike Registry. I use this as my main lock with a Kryptonite cable to secure the wheel.

If riding at night, invest in good lights. The goal is to not only see the road but be seen by drivers. Expect $30-60. There are some great options to use bright LED flashlights in place of traditional bike specific head lights. Google is a good resource, as is bikeforums.com and our forums at Yay Bikes[/url].

If it’s been a while since you’ve ridden or you are unfamiliar with urban riding it’s definitely worth seeking out some of the instructional options in town. Gives you a lot of confidence and better understanding of the laws and how to operate.

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

M.O.
    M.O.
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrpoppinzs said:

What lifeontwowheels said. But if you don’t find anything that suits at the bike shop, don’t hesitate for a moment about getting a Schwinn-branded mountain bike at Target, Meijer, etc. These can be found for 150ish on sale and they are every bit as good as stuff selling for 2-3x as much in bike stores. I’ve put a few K on one over the past eight years and it’s absolutely in the league of my way more expensive road bikes as far as construction quality and function goes.

I feel much better about cruising downtown on a mountain bike for a number of reasons. (Tough, fat tires, cushy piston fork ride, whole bike costs less than a pair of road bike pedals :)).

And if you’re bar hopping, definitely a mountain bike … maybe a mountain trike.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

Thanks!

I will look into those options. The mountain trike might come in handy. :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?