Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Looking For Cheap Vet

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Looking For Cheap Vet

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  tomdury 3 years, 9 months ago.

Tagged

dogs

pets

vet

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

tomdury
    Login to Send PM

Hey I am thinking about getting a puppy and wanted to know if there were any vets that were cheap in columbus. I am freshly graduated from Ohio State and dont have a 6 figure job yet (thanks economy) so i am trying to see how much a vet would be for shots, pills, etc. Any help would be awesome and thanks in advance!!

CooperGuy
    CooperGuy
    Login to Send PM

tomdury wrote >>
    Hey I am thinking about getting a puppy and wanted to know if there were any vets that were cheap in columbus. I am freshly graduated from Ohio State and dont have a 6 figure job yet (thanks economy) so i am trying to see how much a vet would be for shots, pills, etc. Any help would be awesome and thanks in advance!!

I believe Ohio State has a well respected veterinary program that offers services at a relatively cost effective price. Won’t swear to that, but it might be worth a look.

berry
    berry
    Login to Send PM

I would definitely recommend checking out this thread as it has lots of helpful replies…

http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/columbus-vets

When we lived in Columbus, we used Swenson Animal Hospital and Village Gate Animal Hospital at different points in time. We were very happy with both and they seemed to be reasonable. We originally called around for quotes and both were happy to provide those numbers.

http://www.villagegateah.com/

http://www.swensonveterinary.com/

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

Dr. Sears, same recommend I always give, is very affordable.

http://www.greatsouthernanimal.com/

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

tomdury wrote >>

When I was caring for three abandoned kitties a few months ago and was looking for the absolute cheapest option to get them checked out and get their shots, I took them to Rascal in Dublin.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

First, ain’t no such thing as a cheap pet. my ‘free’ ones cost me close to a grand in the first year i had ‘em. and they were healthy. That’s just shots, neutering, and basic start-up supplies. doesn’t even factor in all the destroyed objects in your house that’s inherent with a baby animal living there.

I’m not trying to discourage you from adopting, just saying, it’s hard to do on the cheap, and if you’re really bare-to-the-bones, a critter might be a lot of stress. If you do a little budgeting and change your expectations up front that it will be cheap, i suspect you’ll have fewer surprises and be happier about the relationship.

gk
    Login to Send PM

Dan Beer of Care Pet Clinic is extremely reasonable relative to other vets in town. He is located on East Main Street just a few blocks east of Parsons Ave.

twentzel
    Login to Send PM

Dr. Beer at the Care Pet Clinic is an excellent vet and his prices are very reasonable.

There are other considerations to take into account for raising a pet on a budget. We use pet insurance, but I would only recommend that if you anticipate having a lot of expenses (e.g., surgeries, etc.) because there is a monthly fee. We have come out on top, but I don’t think that would be the case for everyone. Another option would be to use Care Credit, which is essentially a low interest credit card for vet bills (and human medical bills). This can be a good thing to have around for emergency situations.

Finally, you might want to consider getting an older puppy who has already been through its puppy shots. During the first couple of months of a puppy’s life, they have to visit the vet pretty frequently and get a lot of vaccinations. By adopting a puppy who is already a few months old, you could avoid that high upfront cost.

I hope this helps!

jennyw
    jennyw
    Login to Send PM

+1 to what groundrules said. I adopted a 8-month-old dog in late July, and have so far paid several hundred dollars for vaccinations, food, toys, training and replacement of items he’s chewed up. And he’s a healthy dog–when animals fall ill, it’s not unusual to spend hundreds of dollars on vet bills.

That said, I don’t come close to earning a six-figure income and was able to swing i. But if you will be living close to the edge financially, it might make sense to wait until you’re in a more stable position to provide a dog with the kind of care it needs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?