Our City Online

Messageboard - Classifieds

Looking For Bubble Wrap to help Insulate Leaky Windows

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Classifieds Looking For Bubble Wrap to help Insulate Leaky Windows

This topic contains 52 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  kamoysi 1 year, 9 months ago.

Tagged

home repair

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Patch said:
    Wouldn’t it be better for the environment not to throw out all of the existing walls/windows/water heaters/furnace and have to go through the wasted energy creating new ones and throwing out ones that work?

Restore will take the windows, hw tank and furnace for resale. Blown in insulation requires no demolition. Weatherization is one of the most environment friendly things one can do to their home. Save our resources. But yeah it costs money. Lots of money. I mentioned this earlier, don’t burn the house down. Thick plastic being sheeting or bubble wrap is flammable. Also you can’t see out of it. As a rental property I would consider the fire safety aspect.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Chris Sherman said:
    As a rental property I would consider the fire safety aspect.

Along those lines, keep a damn close eye on stuff like heaters on extension cords.

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Good point, drafty homes folks typically use electric space heaters and extension cords. Not trying to nit pick but be cautious.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Some safety measures are surprisingly affordable.

kamoysi
    Login to Send PM

This is a Historic House in a Historic District. Keeping the wavy glass is important to me and the restoration. It is a brick home so no insulating the windows. I can’t believe how some persons are so fast to judge without having any knowledge of this property and the monies involved with all the repairs.

How an innocent request of recycling bubblewrap turns so nasty I have no idea. Happy for all you can go out and purchase 18 windows and insulation. You would be surprised of the amount of persons who are in the same boat as me trying to help their tenants save on utility bills.Attached is a video of the house. Would love to sell to any of the persons with the money to restore http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQkvnCRyPKw

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Talk to the folks at the Columbus Landmarks Foundation (http://columbuslandmarks.org/)

They will tell you the correct way to weatherize an old house while maintaining the old character and existing windows and structure. (they actually had a window repair and weatherization workshop back in october)

Putting plastic over the windows is a cheap quick fix for now and we’ve all done this as a temporary measure. But, it is by no means the best option and does not work nearly as well as (or look as good as, or is as safe as), for example, a proper set of storm windows and a properly caulked window frame.

But yeah, doing it right is going to cost money, but it will create a much more comfortable space, with proper weatherization and lower utility bills as a selling point (to pass the cost to future tenants).

roy
    roy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

kamoysi said:
    I know there has to be persons connected with Columbus organizations that are disposing of bubble wrap and not recycling. 3 college students moving in to my rental and trying to weatherize their unit for heating bill savings. If anyone has a infrared gun that shows leakage I would be interested in hiring their services.

Kamoysi: Please explore this link for MORPC’s free weatherization services http://www.morpc.org/energy/center/EnergyEfficiency.asp

To avoid misunderstandings at CU, consider explaining your situation at the outset so you don’t sound like a freeloading slumlord. I don’t think I’ve ever thrown away a piece of bubblewrap, my brother salvages tons of it and when his wife complains, he posts on Freecycle, Ebayers love it.

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

You can install insulated glass windows in a brick home.. No easy option for inslulating the walls though.;)

ToddAnders
    ToddAnders
    Blocked
    Login to Send PM

If you purchase an investment property, invest in it; don’t damn people who call you out for being a cheap landlord.

Now if you’d love to sell it, give us a price? Maybe we’d be willing to invest in it?

Campbell
    Login to Send PM

I’m sorry, you lost me at bubble wrap. What are we talking about?

kamoysi
    Login to Send PM

FYI

To all my recycling friends , just read where you could use plastic straws to stick down the base of window to help keep down drafts.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

kamoysi said:
    FYI

To all my recycling friends , just read where you could use plastic straws to stick down the base of window to help keep down drafts.

If there are drafty cracks, you can do a lot with strips of corrugated cardboard – or for that matter, those corrugated-plastic yard signs, same idea but waterproof material. Cut it along the grain of the corrugation and slip it into the cracks. You can make it fit a narrower space if you crush it first.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

Shoving a bunch of garbage in your tenants’ windows is still coming off pretty slumlordy.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m thinking about just making bubble wrap clothing, then I’m not limited to just one cold building. I can be comfortable in ALL the cold buildings.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

kamoysi said:
    FYI

You can also repurpose shopping carts as grills for your renters…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?