Our City Online

Messageboard - Classifieds

Looking For Bubble Wrap to help Insulate Leaky Windows

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Classifieds Looking For Bubble Wrap to help Insulate Leaky Windows

This topic contains 52 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  kamoysi 1 year, 10 months ago.

Tagged

home repair

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author

kamoysi
    Login to Send PM

looking For Bubble Wrap to help insulate leaky windows.

kamoysi
    Login to Send PM

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

For leaks, you might accomplish more with silicone caulk. Not for a window you’d want to be able to open later, though. Also look for air leaking between window and door frames, and the walls around them. You can get foam insulation strips that stick on like tape.

kamoysi
    Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tip. Already done. You would be surprised how much bubble wrap on the window glass keeps out the cold.Trying to help my tenants keep the utility bill down. Total of 18 windows. No Storms.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I grew up in this house in the 1960s, with single-layer windows. My sister and I would play with the ice on the glass, melting handprints and writing our names with our fingernails.

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Wow that was fast;)

kamoysi
    Login to Send PM

Me Too. I do it now as I walk room to room. Great messge Board.

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Your easiest source is to ask a business that retails glassware locally (i.e. a head shop). They generally have an overabundance of packing materials to recycle on a given week.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Yeah, it’s a great idea standard bubble wrap works really well.

A couple of years ago I spent a few bucks at Staples and bought a roll of bubble wrap and completely covered an uninsulated wall and windows in an appartment I was living in. It made a huge difference. That was just a tape-n-glue job, though. It stayed there for the two years I was living in the place but did not move with me. If I still had it I would gladly pass it along, sorry I didn’t keep it now.

I put some reflectix (aluminum-mylar bubble wrap) up on my big glass doors (that I dont care about seeing through during winter) It insulates well enough the wall around it feels like its cooler than the window now. It’s pretty cheap over at lowes. but it is completely opaque. I think it was around $20 for a 4′x20′ roll. I built wood frames from some scrap wood to hold the stuff so I can re-use it every year and easily take it off and put it back on when needed.

this: http://www.midcoastgreencollaborative.org/Documents/storm_pamphlet.pdf

You can build simple wood frames to hold the sheets which helps make them reusable. I built a set of these for my living room windows (with the nice heat shrink plastic) and it was fast and easy. For my big glass door windows I used the reflectix for added insulation.

kamoysi
    Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the great tips. Especially Glass store.& inside storms.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

use some nice packing tape to secure it, some flattened cardboard boxes on the floor for area rugs, and you’ll have a great urban chic UPS theme goin’ on. hot.

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Be careful not to burn the place the down.

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The shrink wrap they sell at Lowes/Home Depot always worked well for me, and I could still see out the window that way.

It would probably have a little less of a slum lord feel to it as well.

kamoysi
    Login to Send PM

The house is 1880′s and the look actually goes with the house making it look like privacy glass. You can watch videos on youtube and see the final project. You would be surprised the insulating effect. I still have had no luck finding any recycled bubble wrap. Maybe around trash day after Christmas.

dogfart
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

are you that chick from extreme cheapskates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?