Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

Local Cantina in Grandview

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Local Cantina in Grandview

This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  hajames66 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

hajames66
    Login to Send PM

Looks like a mexican place is going into the old Aladdins space. Anyone know any details?

tolemac5050
    tolemac5050
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

George Tanchevski, Aladdin’s owner has developed a taco concept. He is also a part owner of Graffiti Burger. That is all I know…

tolemac5050
    tolemac5050
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

placebohigh
    Login to Send PM

Anyone get a chance to check this out yet?? How’s the food/drinks?

dogfart
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

this place sucks

we ordered some queso and it was runny as fuck

i asked if it was supposed to be that runny and was told it was because it was so fresh

shit was still runny even once it reached room temperature

didnt appreciate the general condescending attitude of the bartender either

tried a taco, like the beef and potato one and it was quite mediocre

dont see myself ever going back

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Bar profile: Local Cantina keeps things (thankfully) simple
    By Jesse Tigges
    From the May 23, 2013 edition

Grandview’s Local Cantina is a Mexican restaurant and bar that makes its bones by keeping things simple, but appropriately fun. The interior is characterized by roadhouse tchotchkes — license plates, hubcaps, sombreros, Polaroids and various aviary statuettes — and a mustachio theme. It all goes perfectly with Local Cantina’s self-described “taco truck with bar stools” vibe.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusalive.com/content/stories/2013/05/23/bar-profile-local-cantina-keeps-things-thankfully-simple.html

catnfiddle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We finally made it there this evening. I really like the place! The beer list is varied (they have STOUTS) and the food is equal parts tasty and cheap. Favorite so far is the fish taco. Rockmastermike agreed and had two of them. The self-serve salsa and chips barrels are clever, so I grabbed a bowl of each. The claim on the outside of the cantina is, “Bad Service”. Not so! Our server was adorable, helpful, and pretty quick considering the growing crowd. Granted, another server did accidentally spill a full tray of water all over someone a couple of tables away, but how often does that happen?

Major drawback? The jukebox. The free music is just fine and at an acceptable level. Once some of the bro-dude variety put in a dollar, it was awful! Far too loud and really annoying. Even the servers were wincing.

If the owners could either find a volume control or just get rid of that thing, we will be regulars AND drag people with us.

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

catnfiddle said:
    We finally made it there this evening. I really like the place! The beer list is varied (they have STOUTS) and the food is equal parts tasty and cheap. Favorite so far is the fish taco. Rockmastermike agreed and had two of them. The self-serve salsa and chips barrels are clever, so I grabbed a bowl of each. The claim on the outside of the cantina is, “Bad Service”. Not so! Our server was adorable, helpful, and pretty quick considering the growing crowd. Granted, another server did accidentally spill a full tray of water all over someone a couple of tables away, but how often does that happen?

Major drawback? The jukebox. The free music is just fine and at an acceptable level. Once some of the bro-dude variety put in a dollar, it was awful! Far too loud and really annoying. Even the servers were wincing.

If the owners could either find a volume control or just get rid of that thing, we will be regulars AND drag people with us.

Agree 100% with this. Fish tacos, salsa, good service. Music is too loud.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ricospaz said:
    Agree 100% with this. Fish tacos, salsa, good service. Music is too loud.

after the initial shock of the jukebox coming on startlingly loud I started thinking “if its too loud… guess I’m officially too old”.

then I saw younger people cringing too and didn’t feel so bad.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

So you guys know they opened a Local Cantina in the Creekside complex in Gahanna? it occupies the former Buck Mulligans place. Not visible from the street, unfortunately, but they do have nice patio seating out back. Fish tacos were totally solid. This is a work lunch destination for me, so I haven’t hit the beer or margaritas, but the list looked good. Self-serve chips and salsa were as expected.

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Was it a nu-metal or bro-rock (aka nu-rock) blast to the face?

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

GCrites80s said:
    Was it a nu-metal or bro-rock (aka nu-rock) blast to the face?

i dunno it was some kind of weak semi-dubstep sort of thing with some kind of incoherent vocordered rap overtop. not music to eat tacos by.

thankfully it was just one song and then it was back to normal restaurant level kind of background music.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

“Music to Eat Tacos By” is the name of my next album.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:

yeah I’d download that

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1QyDhLj5hU

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?