Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

List of New or Planned Residential Projects Within I-270

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion List of New or Planned Residential Projects Within I-270

This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jbcmh81 10 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I made this list of projects I could find regarding residential either under construction or planned. What am I missing? Some of the numbers are preliminary, so +/- a few hundred or so.

1. East Franklinton Development Plan: 4,700

2. OSU North Campus Housing Development: 3,200

3. Jeffrey Park: 1,350

4. Columbus Commons: 302

5. Neighborhood Launch: 293

6. 1600 Dublin Road: 244

7. Liberty Place Phase II: 207

8. Lennox Flats: 194

9. Atlas Building: 186

10. 600 W. Goodale: 174

11. Neighborhood Launch Phase II: 160

12. Shops at Worthington Place: 123

13. NRI Arena District: 120

14. Lane Avenue: 108

15. Benchmark Apartments: 108

16. Harrison West: 108

17. VOA Residential: 100

18. LC Apartments Downtown: 100

19. American Addition: 100

20. Goodale Landing: 90

21. E. 7th and High: 86

22. The Hubbard: 72

23. Aston Place: 69

24. Whitehall Senior: 66

25. Fireproof Building: 58

26. Wonder Bread Building: 56

27. 2nd and 6th: 52

28. 150 W. Lane Avenue: 50

29. Leafy Dale: 50

30. Hubbard and Pearl: 50

31. LeVeque Tower: 50

32. Born Brewery: 47

33. Buttles and High: 34

34. E. 11th Avenue: 26

35. Northstart Addition: 24

36. Yankee Trader: 12

37. 4th and 8th: 6

Total: 12,725

Total for urban core (1950 Boundaries): 12,184

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Nice!

I will say that it seems a little odd to have some of the planning initiatives (no developer necessarily attached) up top mixed in with real development projects that are concrete and moving forward.

And if you’re going with 270 being the outer boundary, you could include the Bridge Street Corridor plan in Dublin with its projected 8000 residential units:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/dublin-grows-up-the-bridge-street-corridor-plans-for-urban-development

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Nice!

I will say that it seems a little odd to have some of the planning initiatives (no developer necessarily attached) up top mixed in with real development projects that are concrete and moving forward.

And if you’re going with 270 being the outer boundary, you could include the Bridge Street Corridor plan in Dublin with its projected 8000 residential units:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/dublin-grows-up-the-bridge-street-corridor-plans-for-urban-development

East Franklinton was really the only one that is more or less very vague. I used the number that was listed with the plan and assumed that it won’t be exact and could end up being more or less. Still, with such a large area, it’s going to be a lot of development. And of course, there are other big developments coming that have not even vague numbers attached, including AD West and the Scioto Peninsula, so even if E. Franklinton is on the high side, those developments will more than make up the difference, I’m sure.

I didn’t want to include a lot of outer burb projects like Dublin or Westerville. There wasn’t actually that much to report from them, though, anyway. Almost everything happening is near Downtown.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

jbcmh81 said:
    Almost everything happening is near Downtown.

True. Seems to be heavily concentrated between Downtown, Short North (VV & IV) and Brewery District with a lot in the “Olentangy Corridor” as well.

I’ve been working on some similar lists, and I think a creative map of these developments could be cool to see as well. ;) Wanna take a crack at that?

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    True. Seems to be heavily concentrated between Downtown, Short North (VV & IV) and Brewery District with a lot in the “Olentangy Corridor” as well.

I’ve been working on some similar lists, and I think a creative map of these developments could be cool to see as well. ;) Wanna take a crack at that?

Way ahead of you. I made some google maps with all these projects (and others). Never posted images here, though, so not sure how to do it.

swinzo1010
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Very cool list!

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Agree on East Franklinton being questionable. I wouldn’t count OSU’s dorm redevelopment project either IMO.

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

heresthecasey said:
    Agree on East Franklinton being questionable. I wouldn’t count OSU’s dorm redevelopment project either IMO.

I definitely count the dorm development because it’s a concrete project with a real number attached. However, I understand the concern somewhat since it’s not really 3,200 rooms, but beds. However, since these are new in addition to what already exists and considering that that’s equal to 3,200 people, I see no reason to not count them like they are their own 1-bedroom/loft units.

Franklinton, as I said, is still a vague number, but I didn’t pull it out of thin air. The 4,700 is what the plan called for, more or less. Of course it’s going to change, but that’s the best guess at this point. Either way, you are talking thousands of new residences in that area, so I don’t think it’s a stretch.

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I guess I find the dorm one questionable for inclusion both because it involves replacing a number of units there currently, and also fills the additional ones with students just yanked away from the other side of High St (with somewhat murky consequences to follow).

As in, OSU isn’t adding any more students to the area really, they’re just corralling existing ones into dorms instead of letting them live elsewhere. In any case, irregardless of the debated effect on off-campus housing, I think the move will have a negative effect specifically on High St restaurants. More dorm residents means more forced, overpriced meal plans for students, and less eating off-campus.

This could compound an existing problem High St eateries face which is a huge seasonal decline in business during the summer. Off-campus leases are most likely for an entire year, encouraging students to stay in Columbus, whereas dorms close at the end of each semester.

That being said, I do appreciate the nature of the project to retrofit some bad planning done in the 60s, as well as the infill they are proposing for High at Lane.

As far as East Franklinton, I guess that I am just nervous about counting chickens before they hatch. I hope we do 4700 new residents (or more) but I wouldn’t necessarily add them into the list until more concrete announcements get made.

Overall though, great job, its nice to really see a compendium of all the development happening around town right now. Very exciting stuff. Here’s hoping it keeps right on going, there are a lot of prime areas left still to build on!

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

heresthecasey said:
    I guess I find the dorm one questionable for inclusion both because it involves replacing a number of units there currently, and also fills the additional ones with students just yanked away from the other side of High St (with somewhat murky consequences to follow).

As in, OSU isn’t adding any more students to the area really, they’re just corralling existing ones into dorms instead of letting them live elsewhere. In any case, irregardless of the debated effect on off-campus housing, I think the move will have a negative effect specifically on High St restaurants. More dorm residents means more forced, overpriced meal plans for students, and less eating off-campus.

This could compound an existing problem High St eateries face which is a huge seasonal decline in business during the summer. Off-campus leases are most likely for an entire year, encouraging students to stay in Columbus, whereas dorms close at the end of each semester.

That being said, I do appreciate the nature of the project to retrofit some bad planning done in the 60s, as well as the infill they are proposing for High at Lane.

As far as East Franklinton, I guess that I am just nervous about counting chickens before they hatch. I hope we do 4700 new residents (or more) but I wouldn’t necessarily add them into the list until more concrete announcements get made.

Overall though, great job, its nice to really see a compendium of all the development happening around town right now. Very exciting stuff. Here’s hoping it keeps right on going, there are a lot of prime areas left still to build on!

New development always moves people around. Some of the new residents Downtown are suburban transplants and vice versa. That doesn’t mean the development isn’t new and I certainly don’t think other areas nearby will empty out. Vacancies will be filled with other people eventually. And the project is adding beds, not taking away. It’s just reconfiguring the Lane Avenue residential complex, but it will ultimately double the amount of people living there. It’s still a net gain for the area in the long run.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Here’s a list of development happening in 2012, which includes residential development as well as many other types:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/2012-year-in-review-urban-development

RedStorm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

would add Grandview Yard and Tribeca to this list, unless they don’t count since they’re nearing the end of construction? Flats on Vine II as well. I don’t have specific #’s for those though.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

2013 Year in Review: Urban Development
    Published on December 28, 2013 8:00 am
    By: Brent Warren

Whereas last year’s Year in Review featured lots of project announcements and a number of developments just getting underway, 2013 has seen many of those either started in earnest or finished. This year also saw a whole new round of project announcements – many of them larger in scale than anything we’ve seen in recent years – as well as some exciting planning underway for the future.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/2013-year-in-review-urban-development-bw1

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?