Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Like these neighborhoods?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Like these neighborhoods?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by sheze sheze 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    sheze
    sheze
    Login to Send PM

Hi, I am looking to buy in Columbus and due to lack of affordable housing that is worth living in, I am now down to Merion Village surrounding area or maybe Franklinton. Anybody have an opinion on these neighborhoods? I have to have a duplex but it’s not easy. Already tried Near East side and NOBO and they didn’t have anything either. thanks Have seen one on East Gate street, does anyone know anything about that road?

bucki12
    Login to Send PM

What is your price range?

Merion Village is pretty nice and there is a decent smattering of duplexes/doubles in the area. I like the potential of Franklinton, but it has a ways to go…too many slumlords in West Franklinton at the moment, imho.

Patch
    Patch
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Merion Village is nice. Do you need to be near downtown?

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

In my experience parts of Merion are nice and other parts not so nice (looking). I looked at a few apartments around there and after driving around their specific areas decided against it. Maybe those problems are only superficial though.. other streets just a block or so away from them looked like they would have been great to live on. If nothing else you would be close to the Explorers Club!

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

Hungarian Village and Merion Village are nice if you look around and are patient. I would also hold off on Franklinton for now.

It would be good to get a few more details such as price range and what you are looking for as far as area amenities.

SusanB
    SusanB
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

There’s a bank owned duplex in Hungarian Village that needs a lot of work. That said I bet you could bargain it down to almost nothing. One side is currently livable. PM me if you are interested.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

OLDE TOWNE!!!

AmyD
    AmyD
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

My friend is selling a house in Merion Village. I think she’s going to send you a message here shortly.

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I have a friend that lives in a duplex (Clintonville Condo) on Jenkins in Merion Village. That street seems to be pretty nice but not too expensive. Good neighbors too. Heading much further south you will find houses with fenced-in front yards, etc.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Try Linden.

susank
    Login to Send PM

Why are people saying to avoid Franklinton?

Patch
    Patch
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

susank said:

Have you driven Franklinton?

rustbelt
    rustbelt
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

In my opinion, the housing stock through much of Franklinton is a mess. In the past, I’ve found a couple decent-looking places online, drove to find them and decided quickly I didn’t want to live in the area.

At least OTE (among a couple other places) has some solid, old houses throughout that can be bought cheaper, renovated, etc.

I just don’t see the same thing happening in Franklinton to any notable degree that would help revitalize the area in the short or long term.

Perhaps the plan will be to bulldoze and start new closer to downtown. But, at least to me, that is undesirable for different reasons.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?