Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Land to be leased for hunting

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Land to be leased for hunting

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  geoyui 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

How would one advertise that they have land to be leased out for hunting purposes?

Online and conventional options would be great.

CharlieMike
    CharlieMike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Craigslist, or Google “hunting leases in ohio” and contact individual outfitters. Find an outfitter that already operates in your county or adjacent to your county. Whichever outfitter you lease to, make sure to talk with other landowners who already use them (references). Also keep in mind that your neighbors might not be too keen on you leasing your property for hunting (some outfitters are notorious for letting their clients trespass all over neighboring properties).

Which county is the property in?

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

CharlieMike said:
    Craigslist, or Google “hunting leases in ohio” and contact individual outfitters. Find an outfitter that already operates in your county or adjacent to your county. Whichever outfitter you lease to, make sure to talk with other landowners who already use them (references). Also keep in mind that your neighbors might not be too keen on you leasing your property for hunting (some outfitters are notorious for letting their clients trespass all over neighboring properties).

Which county is the property in?

Hi Charliemike,

It’s interesting you mention the neighbors. My uncle owns some property up in Ashtabula county, and it’s because of the neighbors that he is considering doing this. They are entering his property illegally to hunt and then trespassing illegally on other neighbors property. So to protect himself, he thought might as well have people legally use the land and hope that helps self police the property during hunting season.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does an outfitter for hunters do? Both my uncle and I are not hunters or gun owners. A company that takes clients out to hunt?

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

What kind of land is it? How many acres? Woodlands, marshland?

I have some friends who may be interested if I had more details I could pass on.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ColumbusTime said:
    What kind of land is it? How many acres? Woodlands, marshland?

I have some friends who may be interested if I had more details I could pass on.

The entire property he owns will not be available for lease, so it’s hard for me to say how many acres and what type of land will be involved, but I would guess mostly wooded areas and very little marshlands.

I can probably get the acreage and costs, but I’m not sure if my uncle has figured all the details out yet.

How do you and your friends generally find out about land to be leased? Online, print, word of mouth?

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Typically word of mouth, although I have seen listings on CraigsList.

I have some friends who have land in eastern Ohio and they found a few friends of friends that they trusted that hunted, and let them hunt the land for free, because they trusted them, and them being there kept trespassers away. But I think there is more demand for leased land up in the northeast.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ColumbusTime said:
    Typically word of mouth, although I have seen listings on CraigsList.

I have some friends who have land in eastern Ohio and they found a few friends of friends that they trusted that hunted, and let them hunt the land for free, because they trusted them, and them being there kept trespassers away. But I think there is more demand for leased land up in the northeast.

Thanks, I’ve seen craigslist mentioned a couple of times. I think my uncle wants something in writing so a contractual agreement will probably be drawn up to lease the property.

What brought this up was that some hunters were bow hunting illegally on his property. They shot a deer and it ran off with an arrow in it’s side. Eventually it dies on a neighbor’s property. It’s night time and these hunters have their flashlights on. So they are walking on this property, with their flashlights on, and the owner of the property then pulls out his gun and starts firing upon them. Who’s liable? No one knows, but my uncle wants to make sure his ass is covered.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

He could also call the game warden and tell him he has had trespassers, and post his land with ‘no hunting’ signs or ‘hunting with permission only’ (sold in most sporting good stores).

Check this link – http://dnr.ohio.gov/Portals/9/pdf/DNR%208924.pdf

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ColumbusTime said:
    He could also call the game warden and tell him he has had trespassers, and post his land with ‘no hunting’ signs or ‘hunting with permission only’ (sold in most sporting good stores).

Check this link – http://dnr.ohio.gov/Portals/9/pdf/DNR%208924.pdf

It’s funny, my uncle knows the warden and contacted him, but the warden didn’t want to enter the woods for fear of being shot. And my uncle has posted signs, they just get pulled down by the trespassers.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

You might want to look around online hunting discussion boards. The Ohio Game Fishing board has a sub-section devoted to hunting:

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=83

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

geoyui said:
    It’s funny, my uncle knows the warden and contacted him, but the warden didn’t want to enter the woods for fear of being shot. And my uncle has posted signs, they just get pulled down by the trespassers.

That pdf link is a link to a permission slip that ODNR puts out that lists that hunter accepts all liability.

Patch
    Patch
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

geoyui said:
    It’s funny, my uncle knows the warden and contacted him, but the warden didn’t want to enter the woods for fear of being shot.

Honestly he should have called the Sheriff, and not the game warden.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’d also consider putting a few deer cams out, especially where vehicles get parked so you can gather a bit of evidence.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ColumbusTime said:
    That pdf link is a link to a permission slip that ODNR puts out that lists that hunter accepts all liability.

ah, appreciate the link. I’ll definitely share that with him.

Patch said:
    Honestly he should have called the Sheriff, and not the game warden.

I think he called the sheriff first. I can’t remember who did it, but either the warden or the sheriff sent a subordinate in to find the hunters.

groundrules said:
    I’d also consider putting a few deer cams out, especially where vehicles get parked so you can gather a bit of evidence.

He’s actually installed cameras too, and they’ve been shot out

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Wow. All the talking I have heard lately is about how good and upstanding hunters are and responsible with their guns. Until now.

geoyui said:
    He’s actually installed cameras too, and they’ve been shot out

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?