Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

Kaisch turns down Federal disaster aid

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Kaisch turns down Federal disaster aid

This topic contains 121 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by lazyfish lazyfish 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Buster Bluth
    Buster Bluth
    Login to Send PM

jbcmh81 said:
    So Kasich turns down aid in what, most likely, was a political move that no doubt angered the feds. He caves to public pressure when he realizes it was a stupid move, and then gets turned down anyway. One has to wonder if Ohio was turned down given the actions of the governor. Just like Kasich played politics, it wouldn’t suprise me if the feds are too. A true f*ck up all around.

Or all of you were wrong that it was inherently political and that the damage didn’t really warrant federal disaster status. But people bitched anyway and Kasich said “okay, whatever..” and asked the feds only to be told what was already the conclusion of the state: it didn’t deserve federal disaster status.

Is that at all possible?

catnfiddle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Definitely possible, but no harm done in asking.

Buster Bluth
    Buster Bluth
    Login to Send PM

Other than perhaps giving people false hope, wasting the federal government’s time and resources, and slowing potentially slowing down the state’s response because they feel that the feds will handle, yes I agree no harm done in asking.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Buster Bluth said:
    Other than perhaps giving people false hope, wasting the federal government’s time and resources, and slowing potentially slowing down the state’s response because they feel that the feds will handle, yes I agree no harm done in asking.

Think she meant ‘no harm in asking why Ohio was turned down’.

MichaelC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

catnfiddle said:
    Is there any way to find out why these areas didn’t qualify? Is there a common set of standards?

There is.

From FEMA’s website:

The federal disaster law restricts the use of arithmetical formulas or other objective standards as the sole basis for determining the need for federal supplemental aid. As a result, FEMA assesses a number of factors to determine the severity, magnitude, and impact of a disaster event. In evaluating a Governor’s request for a major disaster declaration, a number of primary factors, along with other relevant information, are considered in developing a recommendation to the President for supplemental disaster assistance. Primary factors considered include:

Amount and type of damage (number of homes destroyed or with major damage);
    Impact on the infrastructure of affected areas or critical facilities;
    Imminent threats to public health and safety;
    Impacts to essential government services and functions;
    Unique capability of Federal government;
    Dispersion or concentration of damage;
    Level of insurance coverage in place for homeowners and public facilities;
    Assistance available from other sources (Federal, State, local, voluntary organizations);
    State and local resource commitments from previous, undeclared events; and
    Frequency of disaster events over recent time period.
    The very nature of disasters-their unique circumstances, the unexpected timing, and varied impacts-precludes a complete listing of factors considered when evaluating disaster declaration requests. However, the above lists most primary considerations.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Buster Bluth said:

You do realize those evaluations can be, and should be, asynchronous, yes?

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Wasn’t just Ohio; Illinois denied as well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-no-fema-aid-0312-20120312,0,2976543.story

FEMA officials determined that assistance from state and local agencies, combined with volunteer groups and private insurance, would be enough for the five counties to rebuild on their own, spokesman Mark Peterson said Sunday.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think whenever there’s a natural disaster of any scale, it’s SOP to call in FEMA to insure full access to federal funding, if it’s applicable. It doesn’t make sense to me to even question doing so.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Just love how this thread is tagged ‘go it alone’. Because obviously Ohio is completely helpless without the Feds.

Unless they say we’re on our own, which is then greeted with a chorus of silence.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

(Everything Kasich does is horrible/underground.com)

MichaelC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I like that name for a website, unless the idea came from Kasich.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Just love how this thread is tagged ‘go it alone’. Because obviously Ohio is completely helpless without the Feds.

Unless they say we’re on our own, which is then greeted with a chorus of silence.

I love how our governor didn’t have enough sense to even check that we might be eligible for FEMA assistance, until he was asked to do so. Considering the whole point of FEMA is to assist in times of natural disasters.

I don’t have a problem with FEMA stating Ohio is ineligible – it happened to Strickland when we had those tornadoes in NW Ohio. But I hate to think we have a governor that is so concerned for his political ideology that he could potentially deny aid.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

MichaelC said:
    I like that name for a website, unless the idea came from Kasich.

Heh…

Buster Bluth
    Buster Bluth
    Login to Send PM

myliftkk said:
    You do realize those evaluations can be, and should be, asynchronous, yes?

You do realize I was suggesting an equally absurd list from the opposite perspective, right? I wasn’t actually agreeing with that.

Buster Bluth
    Buster Bluth
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen said:
    I love how our governor didn’t have enough sense to even check that we might be eligible for FEMA assistance, until he was asked to do so. Considering the whole point of FEMA is to assist in times of natural disasters.

I don’t have a problem with FEMA stating Ohio is ineligible – it happened to Strickland when we had those tornadoes in NW Ohio. But I hate to think we have a governor that is so concerned for his political ideology that he could potentially deny aid.

How do you know any of that actually happened?!?!

You know for a fact that there wasn’t some phone call with people on the ground that said “Yeah, 99.99% chance that this wouldn’t get FEMA’s attention. We can handle this.”

But noooooo, Kasich is just the worst. Gotcha.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?