Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

Kaisch turns down Federal disaster aid

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Kaisch turns down Federal disaster aid

This topic contains 121 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by lazyfish lazyfish 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 123 total)
  • Author

bman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Because Ohio is incapable of responding to local disasters without Federal assistance?

Why would we?

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen said:
    He’s made his feelings on taking federal money clear from his first weeks in office (refusing the hard-sought school money). He is a near-tea-party Republican – it doesn’t take a ton of brain power to match up his ideology with his actions in this matter.

The fact is, he’s going to force people in need to suffer needlessly – everything that will have to be done to assist people will take longer, because there are no FEMA coordinators. Again – it doesn’t have to be that way. Instead of erring on the side of compassion and helpfulness, something a reasonable leader would do in such times, he’s trying to shovel his personal pridefulness into “state independence.”

I find it difficult to believe that if people were suffering he wouldn’t take the steps necessary to bring in FEMA. I find it difficult to believe that he would leave people hanging in the wind just to further his own political goals. I’m not saying that I agree with his approach or every move that he makes. I’m just saying if he took the steps to refuse federal funds then he has better reasons than the fact that he doesn’t like the federal government. I’m also saying that he has to have some other plan in effect that would necessitate his refusal of federal assistance. It would be completely assinine to to refuse the funds, and then have nothing in place to ensure that he made the right choice. It would be career suicide to not have something in place to ensure that these people were not suffering.

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Because Ohio is incapable of responding to local disasters without Federal assistance?

Essentially yes. The federal government has the bureaucracy and infrastructure to take of things so that states don’t have to duplicate everything. And the state is not equipped to take care of a major disaster without federal assistance. And they will let us know if we can or cannot handle it but you don’t know until you ask. In the meantime Kasich, is wasting time for god knows what reason. I don’t see any political benefit.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

murfmurphy said:
    I find it difficult to believe that if people were suffering he wouldn’t take the steps necessary to bring in FEMA. I find it difficult to believe that he would leave people hanging in the wind just to further his own political goals. I’m not saying that I agree with his approach or every move that he makes. I’m just saying if he took the steps to refuse federal funds then he has better reasons than the fact that he doesn’t like the federal government. I’m also saying that he has to have some other plan in effect that would necessitate his refusal of federal assistance. It would be completely assinine to to refuse the funds, and then have nothing in place to ensure that he made the right choice. It would be career suicide to not have something in place to ensure that these people were not suffering.

To be honest, what you’ve just described doesn’t sound out of character for Kasich.

It’s possible that he’s NOT making this decision for crass political reasons, that he does have a better plan in place that doesn’t require federal help, and so forth, but nothing in his past decision-making makes me assume those things are true (in absence of further evidence).

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rory said:
    Essentially yes. The federal government has the bureaucracy and infrastructure to take of things so that states don’t have to duplicate everything. And the state is not equipped to take care of a major disaster without federal assistance. And they will let us know if we can or cannot handle it but you don’t know until you ask. In the meantime Kasich, is wasting time for god knows what reason. I don’t see any political benefit.

Marvelous.

Why bother to take care of ourselves. Someone else can do it for us.

pedex
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

bringing in FEMA and relief costs $$

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:

Yeah, because it makes total sense to force the state to spend money it doesn’t have to, and in the meantime delay/limit aid to those in need.

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Marvelous.

People aren’t forced to take federal aid at gun point. If someone wants to remain morally pure and not apply that’s all well and good. I’m all for self-reliance but people should be able to choose if they want help. Kasich, so far, has made the decision for tornado victims.

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Marvelous.

Step down from your soapbox. This is not about being helpless. This is about getting the help where it needs to be, and for those affected to have access to what they need. The state just isn’t set up for this kind of response.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I enjoyed this comment from the article..

“Hey Ohio, if you vote for a giant dick, you may occasionally be forced to suck it.”

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rory said:
    People aren’t forced to take federal aid at gun point. If someone wants to remain morally pure and not apply that’s all well and good. I’m all for self-reliance but people should be able to choose if they want help. Kasich, so far, has made the decision for tornado victims.

I was speaking more about the ability of Ohio to provide what many would agree are essential services.

pedex
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rory said:

it doesn’t exactly work like that

municipalities and the state once FEMA is called in to do repairs to infrastructure for example forces spending, it’s part of the package and it isn’t free

As far as relief for private property there are also some strings attached. For example if you live in a high risk flood area getting more or continued insurance on that property is typically done thru the Federal govt(read subsidized) via FEMA which sets the standards for what qualifies and what doesn’t. This was one of the issues with Katrina and is an ongoing problem in the US. Before Katrina the flood standards for New Orleans were quite low, afterward quite high. Usually however the federal govt actually promotes living in disaster prone areas that require relatively frequent bailouts. It is another one of those classic American let’s make a mess on purpose then half azz fix it again and again type deals.

-Nick-
    Login to Send PM

mwood said:
    Would you want to play the “what if” game if your house had just been destroyed and your family was one in need of temporary housing?

No I wouldn’t, but sometimes you get a bad draw and actually have to rely on community and state support to work your way back out of it. This is where local donations and volunteers play a key role. It’s not like it was a Japanese tsunami level of devastation down there. They can and will recover just fine without federal assistance. If they can’t then they should probably choose a more pro-active community and/or federal assistance will be called upon THEN.

The same people complaining about this issue are the same ones complaining about a $14 trillion national debt and how they need to cut programs to get out of it…programs like FEMA.

rory
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

False alarm.

He changed his mind.

Kasich reconsiders federal disaster relief

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ChrisSunami said:
    To be honest, what you’ve just described doesn’t sound out of character for Kasich.

It’s possible that he’s NOT making this decision for crass political reasons, that he does have a better plan in place that doesn’t require federal help, and so forth, but nothing in his past decision-making makes me assume those things are true (in absence of further evidence).

If this were another high speed rail type of situation I would agree with you. However, this is a tornado and there are people that have been effected by this. If he’s thumbing his nose at the federal government like this then I’m guessing he has something in place to ensure that it works.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?