Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

Josh Mandel VS Sherrod Brown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Josh Mandel VS Sherrod Brown

This topic contains 98 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by lazyfish lazyfish 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    gramarye
    gramarye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

melikecheese said:
    Most of the GOP has been pretty clear that Mitt is not a good choice, but they will take a turd on a stick over anyone who is not in their party.

Not true. There were definitely Republicans that crossed the aisle to vote for Ted Strickland over Ken Blackwell, for example. And there were Democrats who crossed over to vote for Voinovich. But Sherrod Brown is not a candidate intended to attract crossover votes, so it should be little surprise that you don’t see as many. Some Republicans this time around see Mitt and Mandel as the lesser of two evils, perhaps, and that may depress turnout notwithstanding GOTV efforts. However, for the most part, people understand that sometimes you have to settle for a less-than-perfect candidate when the alternative is someone even worse.

Note that there’s a decent-sized strain of that on the left for Obama this year, too. Many of those who were truly enthusiastic partisans for him in 2008 are still supporters today, but likewise see him as simply someone who’s a preferable alternative to Romney.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Mandel is the lesser. Not sure if he’s evil. But from every word out of his mouth, he is portraying himself as a simpleton – perhaps he is. Mandel in the Senate would not benefit Ohio in any way. He’s made clear he’d vote the party line and give issues exactly no thought.

pez
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

joev said:
    ..snip…

He’s made clear he’d vote the party line and give issues exactly no thought.

And Brown doesn’t do the same thing?

G. A. Colin
    Login to Send PM

Vote 3rd party!

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

joev said:
    He’s made clear he’d vote the party line and give issues exactly no thought.

Only bad because he’s not your party?

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I have to say, I’m not a Sherrod Brown fan at all…but I’m pretty sure It’d be a tossup if George W Bush were running against Mandel, he’s just that bad IMO.

pez
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

SusanB said:
    Not unreasonable except if you own and operate a vagina or are an LGBT person wanting basic civil rights.

We probably agree more than you think, but if SOPA/PIPA type laws are allowed to pass, your ability to speak out on the important issues will be subject to censorship and forums like this that host them may be forced to spend tremendous legal resources to stay online. Not to sound like Pilsner here, but I can legally post instructions to build a pipe bomb, but thanks to DMCA (of the same ilk as SOPA), I can’t tell you how to make a backup copy of a DVD or CD that you own if there is any DRM on it.

SOPA/PIPA type legislation also threatens to undermine our library and educational systems by preventing modernization and adoption of technology like digital readers which expand the reach of knowledge and reduce costs. At the end of the day, people with and without vaginas, and those of every sexual identity benefit from the free flow of knowledge. People like Brown, and many other Democrats and Republicans, chose to take the money and vote to keep intellictual property rights in the stone age. I called and emailed Brown’s office and didn’t even receive the courtesy of an “F-you” email in return.

Mandel is horrible candidate and would be a shitty senator, but he’ll have no influence in the senate and will hopefully get beat out by someone better aligned with the constituents than either candidate this go around. Unfortunately, For Brown, he showed that he puts the corporate interest of media companies over the rights of individuals.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Only bad because he’s not your party?

No. He’s an empty headed buffoon. I voted for Voinovich.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It’s pretty telling when the Cincinnati Enquirer endorses Brown over Mandel.

They offer a nice recap of Brown’s work in the Senate, and close out with this passage:

Brown’s opponent, Mandel, would continue to practice the politics of divisiveness. His campaign has focused on tearing down his opponent, calling him everything from a “un-American” to “a liar.”

Mandel’s slash-and-burn campaign has been heavily funded by out-of-state interests. In his public appearances in debates and at The Enquirer’s editorial board, he showed little depth on the issues beyond his rehearsed talking points.

Mandel, frankly, is not ready to represent Ohio in the United States Senate.

Sherrod Brown has a record of working for Ohio jobs, workers, businesses and consumers, and he should be elected to another term.More here: “Brown Dedicated to Ohio’s Needs, Problems”

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

New Poll: Brown Holds Lead Over Mandel In Senate Race
    Monday October 29, 2012 6:58 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A new Ohio newspaper poll shows incumbent Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown with a 4-point lead over Republican challenger Josh Mandel.

The poll published by Ohio’s largest newspapers Monday shows Brown ahead with 51 percent to 47 percent for Mandel, the current state treasurer. The survey has a 3.1 percentage-point margin of error.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/10/29/ohio-senate-poll-shows-brown-holding-lead.html

sirlancelot
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Most of my Jewish friends are appalled over the Mandel candidacy, given his views and behavior after he became State Treasurer. If Mandel had behaved as a financial professional, appointed employees with the required background and experience, attended the obligatory board meetings, and, waited four years before running for the U.S. Senate, he wouldn’t look like a fool. You may not like Sherrod Brown, but he does not look or act like a teenager.

Can someone confirm or deny rumours that Mandel converted to fundamentalist Christianity back when he was a Marine? If he did, it would explain some of his social views.

SusanB
    SusanB
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

pez
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

SusanB said:
    this is interesting:

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/107282/josh-mandel-wants-be-senator-if-only-he-could-get-his-in-laws-donate#/url

So so left wing activist guy doesn’t want his right wing activist cousin-in-law to win an election and that’s newsworthy? For the record I would vote against any of my cousins and most of my in-laws just knowing them and I have no idea what their political leanings are.

ETA: Is cousin-in-law a real thing?

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

pez said:

ETA: Is cousin-in-law a real thing?

It’s the spouse of an individual’s cousin, or the cousin of one’s spouse. Apparently.

pez
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    It’s the spouse of an individual’s cousin, or the cousin of one’s spouse. Apparently.

Oh, Now I see why it’s relevant if they agree with you…. Traditionally, I limit myself to relatives that I would get berevement for if they died.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?