Our City Online

Messageboard - Books

John Perkins, Economic Hitman coming Feb.5

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Books John Perkins, Economic Hitman coming Feb.5

This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  geigondis 5 years, 10 months ago.

Tagged

John Perkins

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

geigondis
    Login to Send PM

He wrote Confessions of an Economic Hitman and Secret History of the American Empire. Columbus Council on World Affairs is bringing him to Mershon Auditorium Feb 5 for an evening thing. Free for OSU students and faculty (per their partnership with Wexner to use the space) but others pay a fee to cover the costs.

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I read Confessions of an Economic Hitman and have to wonder. Might go check it out but kinda think the fella’ is a bit delusional. I’d like to ask him about the republican IT guy that crashed his plane in Ohio. Also would like to ask him exactly how much cocaine did he while working at Chas. T. Main to make him so paranoid.

geigondis
    Login to Send PM

Yes, there is some debate about the validity of his background as an Economic Hitman. The state department has officially denied that such a job exists. I met the guy. I read the book. I feel that he is a good guy and I am not sure I can believe much from the State Department at this point. If you read the “logic” behind what he was supposed to do in the developing world (as a hitman, I mean)it sounds very feasible to me. I can see some old guys around a table deciding it was in the U.S. interests. I think people should come and hear what he has to say…

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Have you got a link or any details about this event (time? ticket prices? how to purchase? etc.). I went to the Columbus Council on World Affairs site and didn’t see it mentioned at all.

geigondis
    Login to Send PM

It is on there now, pricing is still getting negotiated: http://www.columbusworldaffairs.org.

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Depending on the cost, I’d be interested in seeing this. Not that I believe what he says is the truth by any means. I agree with Mercurius, he seems to be a bit delusional.

But even so, if you can get past that, Economic Hitman does raise some question about the proper relationship between developed and developing countries.

The question, for me, is does some of his excess in the end overwhelm those questions.

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Oops…heh. Double post.

geigondis
    Login to Send PM

Anyone want to do a book club with one of the two Perkins books?

About the event, it is going to be free for current OSU students, $5 for members of CCWA or Wexner, $7 for all others. You can buy “Confessions of an Economic Hitman” or “The Secret History of the American Empire” on-site and have him sign it. And, as an added bonus…

The Warhol exhibit is free after 4 on Thursdays, so if you’ve been meaning to check that out, you can consider it worth the trip if you do both that day. Warhol is ending soon.

Now that the price is set for Perkins visit, the registration should be functioning shortly at http://www.columbusworldaffairs.org.

Paul
    Paul
    Login to Send PM

Really coincidental to see a post about this today. I just started reading his book (Confessions of an Economic Hitman) and I actually have to go back to Discount Tire this afternoon because I left it in their waiting area by accident.

Has potential so far, but I was really disappointed to see here that the guy might be a bit of a liar.

corey.spring
    corey.spring
    Login to Send PM

Just happened to flip on wosu-am during my lunch break and he’s on the open line show promoting his visit. Interesting discussion, not sure if I can believe quite all of it at the moment, but might make me go check out the book.

corey.spring
    corey.spring
    Login to Send PM

Double posted from phone – my bad

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Did any go to this? People have raised a lot of credibility issues so I’m curious to hear how he came off in person.

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I went. It wasn’t mindblowing by any stretch of the imagination.

The most surprising thing was how little he touched on any of the themes from Hitman. (Not that I was necessarily disappointed by this fact.) He talked for maybe a minute or so about his claimed role as an “economic hitman” and briefly mentioned the “jackals” who play the role of true hitmen. But that was about it as far as relation to the book goes.

I’d say the bulk of his talk focused on how consumers have the ability to influence the behavior of corporations. Which is hardly a ground breaking concept. It seemed that he was going out of his way to avoid the anti-corporate/anti-globalization theme that people might expect from him.

So, it wasn’t terrible. Most of what he said seemed credible enough. But that’s really because most of what he said wasn’t in the least bit controversial.

Slay
    Login to Send PM

I went. It was pretty cool. I believe him, too. I’ve read both of his books, the first one a couple of times. Maybe I’m paranoid too. Either he did a lot of research or he’s telling the truth. Really though, there’s very little in the book that differs from the public record, the only stuff that’s possibly fictional is his personal involvement.

I had a nice talk with him afterwards, too. He was very encouraging and a genuinely nice guy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?