Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Jeni's Ice Creams Powell Parking Drama

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Jeni’s Ice Creams Powell Parking Drama

This topic contains 33 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Parking in Powell: How much is enough?

By LAURA ENGLEHART

Published: Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Powell leaders and Downtown business owners are at odds as they try to sort through the city’s parking issues.

“None of the proposed users (for 8 N. Liberty St.) include a ‘full-service, sit-down, drinking and-or eating establishment’; therefore a valet parking plan is not required,” wrote city Development Director Dave Betz and Law Director Gene Hollins in a Sept. 30 memorandum to City Manager Steve Lutz.

But Vince Margello, a Liberty Township resident who owns property near Powell and Liberty roads, said Oct. 5 there will be major parking problems when Jeni’s moves into the building.

READ MORE: http://www.columbuslocalnews.com/articles/2010/10/13/multiple_papers/news/allovcounc_20101012_0600pm_8.txt

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

guess it’s time for a monorail in Powell

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I wonder if Jeni’s has any information collected about how many people walk/bike to their locations compared to auto traffic. Their Grandview and Short North stores are in very similar situations where parking is at a minimum and I haven’t noticed as many feathers being ruffled with neighboring business there (although maybe it’s just been quieter than this).

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’ve heard lots of parking complaints about the new Clintonville Jenny’s.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>
    I wonder if Jeni’s has any information collected about how many people walk/bike to their locations compared to auto traffic. Their Grandview and Short North stores are in very similar situations where parking is at a minimum and I haven’t noticed as many feathers being ruffled with neighboring business there (although maybe it’s just been quieter than this).

There’s a pretty hefty parking lot behind the row of shops in grandview.

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>

I’m sure it helps in Grandview to have 350 shared parking spots behind the bank block building(s).

catnfiddle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I have a feeling that Grandview is more of a walking community than Powell is. It’s rare that I drive to Grandview Ave.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Is 350 really a whole lot for the strip of businesses (a lot of high-traffic restaurants) there in Grandview though? It always seems to be pretty busy over there.

I’ve never spent a ton of time in Powell, but I’ve always gotten the impression that the historic Downtown area of Powell is touted as an older walkable little community. Maybe smaller than Grandview, and has some less-walkable parts of the city beyond that, but the core is pretty walkable.

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

While downtown Powell is walkable, it’s not very accessible to residents within a couple miles for walking/riding too.

Small two lane country roads with a large amount of traffic combined with limited sidewalks makes driving to the downtown area almost necessary for most people.

Also, shouldn’t the parking issue already been addressed when Jeni’s was approved for that location by the City of Powell? Seems late to fight it.

meigsNkegs
    Login to Send PM

I think they have added bike paths that come in from the north, though it has been years since I really have been back in there. Also I would debate how many people drive down there for antiques and dinner and then walk to get ice cream for dessert while window shopping etc. I would fight it based on people driving and parking only for ice cream and the leaving, granted I would do much worse for that stuff :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

futureman wrote >>
    While downtown Powell is walkable, it’s not very accessible to residents within a couple miles for walking/riding too.
    Small two lane country roads with a large amount of traffic combined with limited sidewalks makes driving to the downtown area almost necessary for most people.

Can’t nearly the same thing be said about Grandview Avenue or The Short North? They’re narrow roads with high traffic.

10sun
    10sun
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>

futureman wrote >>

Can’t nearly the same thing be said about Grandview Avenue or The Short North? They’re narrow roads with high traffic.

Nearly the same, but there are sidewalks and the roads are well lit.
    Walking or biking along a country road for a few miles isn’t a very safe option.

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>

futureman wrote >>

Huh? How are the roads around the Short north and Grandview anyway like a typical country road surrounding downtown Powell?

PunkRockSean
    PunkRockSean
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lazyfish wrote >>
    I’ve heard lots of parking complaints about the new Clintonville Jenny’s.

I imagine word hasn’t spread yet that customers may park in the evenings in the lots for either the Insurance Co. or the Kemba Credit Union north of the new Jeni’s… plenty of spots there!

cc
    cc
    Login to Send PM

double post

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?