Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Jeni's Ice Creams Cookbook

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Jeni’s Ice Creams Cookbook

This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt6LMvum388

FROM HERE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/jenis-expanding-to-beechwold-powell-and-beyond

Quote:
    JBB: It will be out in another year. It’s been a lot of fun to work on. There were a lot of things I didn’t know about the process that I’ve had to learn. The book will be a little bit of everything… it is a cookbook… it has a lot of profiles of Ohio farmers, the people we work with and know well… also flavor stories for each flavor. There is a lot in the book about Ohio, of course. The recipes that we have created for the book mimics the end product – the flavor, texture, consistency, finish… all of the stuff that we do in our big kitchen, so that it is scoopable and lickable on a cone. Most home ice cream isn’t like that. We actually built a little test kitchen which only has home equipment so that we could test these home recipes.

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pretty sweet video! *cough*columbus’sownspacejunkmedia[/url]*cough*

Looking forward to checking out the book. Anyone know when it’s supposed to hit the shelves?

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

According to Amazon, where it’s been available for pre-order for a while, June 15th is the drop date. :)

Miss Jackson
    Login to Send PM

This kind of high quality book will not only be good for Jeni’s, but good for Columbus’ emerging reputation as a “food town.” The other good thing about it will be highlighting Ohio and its agricultural authenticity – definitely a competitive advantage when it comes to sourcing locally. This book will surely turn heads to this part of the country and open doors for others. Congrats, Jeni and company!

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Do you have your ticket to the book release party on Saturday?

BreakfastwithNick
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m so bummed we’ll be out of town for this.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I need to know why everything is happening on June 11th? It’s crazymaking.

0Angle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Barleys will be there pouring some beer… It’s not always just about the Ice Cream, but Jeni’s been going through a fair amount of Russian Imperial Stout the last two summers… I think that her Kona Stout Ice cream is something like 1/3 beer; can that be right?

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

0Angle wrote >>
    Barleys will be there pouring some beer… It’s not always just about the Ice Cream, but Jeni’s been going through a fair amount of Russian Imperial Stout the last two summers… I think that her Kona Stout Ice cream is something like 1/3 beer; can that be right?

given the flavor it would not surprise me. The texture of is remarkable too.. it almost feels ‘carbonated’ in the mouth, but that might just be the power of suggestion.

I’m really looking forward to this book. My own home icecream/gelato experiments have been reasonably successful, but it really is difficult to get the texture consistently correct.

mbeaumont
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

There will also be an iBook available in Apple’s iBook store. You get 10 free videos with the iBook as well, where Jeni walks you through the base ice cream recipe, salty caramel, and lots more. Those videos look just like the video at the top of the thread just more…you know…instructional. ;)

bastardsuperstar
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Rockmastermike wrote >>

I’m really looking forward to this book. My own home icecream/gelato experiments have been reasonably successful, but it really is difficult to get the texture consistently correct.

alton’s good eats episode about ice cream (i believe “churn baby churn II”) was the key to getting my recipes to come out a lot more consistently. check it out, it’s on youtube i believe.

also, this book coming out the week of my b’day is a godsend. i know EXACTLY what i’m getting now . . .

BCNation
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen wrote >>
    I need to know why everything is happening on June 11th? It’s crazymaking.

+1

I can’t be at 10 places at once. I’ll be canoeing down Okkervil River.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

this book is far more like a love-letter than a cookbook.

a love letter for
    her hubby
    her kids
    her partners
    her inspirations
    her suppliers
    her employees
    her former employers
    her craft
    her studies
    her recipes
    her customers
    and the reader.

damn, this just might be the most engaging cookbook ever written . . .

mbeaumont
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mbeaumont
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

So the enhanced ebook of Jeni’s book was released today on Apple’s iBook store. As I mentioned before, the $11.99 download also gets you 10 free how-to videos from yer pals at Spacejunk. I think they really do help with making the ice cream recipes at home.

The cool thing is, Jeni’s book is actually featured on the front page of the iBook store today. Pretty awesome for Columbus! I attached a screenshot. Let me know what you think of the videos.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/jenis-splendid-ice-creams/id444765843?mt=11

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?