Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Jeffrey Place - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Jeffrey Place – News & Updates

This topic contains 97 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ShimmyKnocker 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

bayrea said:
    Jeffery Place = Skyview Towers North. BOOM!

psh, their tv’s don’t even have knobs over there!

dru
    dru
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Italian Village coyotes?

evantyler
    evantyler
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I work at the State Library of Ohio which is essentially “next” to Walden Lofts, and I noticed the bulldozing as well. Sadly, I figured the bulldozers were there to tear down the homeless camp, as was done on Greenlawn recently. It does seem strange that something would be built so close to the tracks…

commodorecrush
    Login to Send PM

So today they were out again for awhile and I spoke to a guy who said he was an engineer. I asked if they were building and he was really, really hesitant to tell me anything at first. Eventually he said that in the woods there by the tracks they were only doing “core samples”…. which I don’t buy. But the land in between the library and The Walden Lofts will start some kind of building/construction soon. Kinda stinks.

dru said:
    Italian Village coyotes?

And, yes. Coyotes. You can often see them at dusk jumping across the street quickly in front of cars.

dru
    dru
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

commodorecrush said:
    So today they were out again for awhile and I spoke to a guy who said he was an engineer. I asked if they were building and he was really, really hesitant to tell me anything at first. Eventually he said that in the woods there by the tracks they were only doing “core samples”…. which I don’t buy. But the land in between the library and The Walden Lofts will start some kind of building/construction soon. Kinda stinks.

And, yes. Coyotes. You can often see them at dusk jumping across the street quickly in front of cars.

a.) Did you really think all of that property would stay undeveloped? With Wagenbrenner getting involved, it will eventually all be developed, which for those of us who are long-term residents and property owners, is a plus. It doesn’t stink, it actually smells really nice that more might finally be done with that site.
    b.) i have driven down 4th literally thousands of times and never seen a coyote, or for that matter a fox. the local stray cat population also isn’t very indicative of predators. but it would be intriguing to actually see an urban coyote (i know they exist fairly well in the suburbs of places like Dallas) by moving up and down railroad tracks.

commodorecrush
    Login to Send PM

dru said:
    a.) Did you really think all of that property would stay undeveloped? With Wagenbrenner getting involved, it will eventually all be developed, which for those of us who are long-term residents and property owners, is a plus. It doesn’t stink, it actually smells really nice that more might finally be done with that site.
    b.) i have driven down 4th literally thousands of times and never seen a coyote, or for that matter a fox. the local stray cat population also isn’t very indicative of predators. but it would be intriguing to actually see an urban coyote (i know they exist fairly well in the suburbs of places like Dallas) by moving up and down railroad tracks.

Relax dru. I’m joking about the development. Of course it’s good economically for the city and neighborhood. I don’t think anyone wants to deal with construction right outside their window though for months, possibly years. A boy can dream, right?

And sorry you’ve never seen a coyote or fox around either. We have floor to ceiling windows that cover two full walls of our loft so we get to see all sorts of amazing things like meteor showers, the evening fireworks show during the state fair, hawks swooping down on field mice, homeless people washing their faces in mud puddles or taking a dump in the woods…. amazing.

Anyways this guy Stan Ghert is a scientist who is an assistant professor of environmental and natural resources at Ohio State University talks about urban coyotes … “has even seen a pack of about a dozen on Ohio State’s campus in Columbus.” They’re everywhere pretty much. You can read the full article about coyotes here: http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/urbcoyot.htm

Foxes on the other hand… From an Ohio DNR site: “Gray foxes are found in all 88 counties of Ohio.” Here’s the pdf: http://ohiodnr.com/Portals/9/pdf/pub112.pdf

But I personally saw a red fox in the field over here. Jim McCormac who writes for the Columbus Dispatch did a story on the red fox. Here’s an excerpt:

I asked readers to let me know of any foxes that they had seen within the limits of Interstate 270 – Columbus’ outerbelt , which largely defines the city and its suburbs. And only sightings from within the last year, so as to get an up-to-date snapshot of their frequency in our city.

Well, I received 53 e-mails from area residents, and two things became obvious. One, Red Foxes are thriving within the city, and two, people really like these animals…….. Today, red foxes are common in every Ohio county and plentiful in urban areas such as Columbus.

So my guess is that:

a) The fox and coyote population is smart enough to stay away from busy roads like 4th Street.

b) You’re driving too fast up 4th Street to notice. or,

c) The fox and coyote population don’t like people named Dru…. Just kiddin’ Dru.

Cheers!

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

http://development.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Development/Planning_Division/Boards_and_Commissions/Historic_Preservation/Italian_Village_Commission/Meetings/2012/2012%20IVC%20JUNE.agd.pdf

CONCEPTUAL
    10. 12-5-16
    895 North Sixth Street (Vacant lots at SW crnr. of N. Sixth St. &E. Second Ave.)
    Jonathan Barnes Architecture & Design (Applicant) JDS Jeffrey, LLC (Owner)
    This application was conceptually reviewed at the May 15, 2012 IVC hearing. Revised drawings have been submitted.
    New Construction/Apartment Complex
    • Conceptual review of a proposed new apartment complex on a vacant lot.
    • Development to consist of two and three story buildings with approximately 52 residential units.
    • Parking to be provided on a surface parking lot located to the rear of the building

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

Very cool, Jonathan Barnes does great work.

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Nice to see that lot getting filled in.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

was looking for something a little more dense but i don’t want to be the complainer here. I just don’t want to see another Harrison Park. It’s suburban in nature and not as close to downtown, which makes HP fit over there ,but not here. I guess I’d rather see a true urban walkable village instead of a quasi-suburban development. It’s a big piece of land so reserve some judgement for future phases.

(waiting for the “it’s better than a vacant lot” response)

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jpizzow said:
    was looking for something a little more dense but i don’t want to be the complainer here. I just don’t want to see another Harrison Park. It’s suburban in nature and not as close to downtown, which makes HP fit over there ,but not here. I guess I’d rather see a true urban walkable village instead of a quasi-suburban development. It’s a big piece of land so reserve some judgement for future phases.

(waiting for the “it’s better than a vacant lot” response)

You do know this isn’t at the much larger Jeffrey Place site, right? This is the little-r lot at the corner of 2nd and 6th. I believe it is the same developer that re-did the Jeffrey Mining building, and that they are not affiliated with Wagonbrenner who has taken over the main JP project.

(Although your Harrison Park comment may end up being relevant depending on the plans they eventually come out with for that).

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

heresthecasey said:
    You do know this isn’t at the much larger Jeffrey Place site, right? This is the little-r lot at the corner of 2nd and 6th. I believe it is the same developer that re-did the Jeffrey Mining building, and that they are not affiliated with Wagonbrenner who has taken over the main JP project.

(Although your Harrison Park comment may end up being relevant depending on the plans they eventually come out with for that).

Shit, you’re right. I read that way too fast. Well, that’s good news. I don’t mind that type of development over there. It can slide.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

jpizzow said:
    I just don’t want to see another Harrison Park. It’s suburban in nature…

???

Care to elaborate? Is it because a lot of it is single family homes? I thought Harrison Park matched a lot of historic Harrison West, which is primarily single family homes. I’m not sure what you see as suburban about it…

cbus11
    cbus11
    Login to Send PM

I do not know if this is what he is referring to, but the actual Wagonbrenner builds in Harrison West are fairly bloated in contrast to the less square foot intensive original worker’s housing of the area. They are modern day urban McMansions.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

So they’re larger homes? What’s suburban about that? Large homes can be found in plenty of urban neighborhoods…

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?